Taurus owners, I have a question

Let me say that this is my first Taurus. Previously I have owned Glock and various 1911's. I shoot a lot, generally 3-5 days a week at my home range. It is setup for shooting 25 yards and 50 yards. I shoot mostly pistol at home and would consider myself a decent shot.

I recently bought a 24/7 OSS DS in 9mm. After a few problems I finally got everything resolved with this new pistol(It was missing the front sight). It took 2 weeks of waiting before I decided to just buy the replacement sight rather than wait any longer. While cleaning the pistol for the first time I noticed the bore is really rough. This was the initial cleaning before firing the first shot.

It has noticeable scratches on the lands and in the grooves. All the scratches have the same twist rate as the rifling but it is a bit dishearteneing to see how rough the bore really is. No other firearm I have ever owned or looked down the barrel of has been this rough. All others are smooth and you can tell if the bore is clean but not with this pistol.

So far I have shot about 200 rounds thru it using Federal 115 grain FMJ and seems OK as far as accuracy goes. It does seem as though it takes forever to get the bore clean compared to every other gun I have ever owned. Accuracy seems ok but this particular model supposedly has a match barrel but I can't tell.

Here are a few pictures:

S5000253.jpg

S5000254.jpg

This is a clean, as clean as I can get it, bore. I brushed it then mopped it for a few minutes for the pictures.

Is a bore like this normal for Taurus?

Also, with the rough bore I am worried it could cause leading issues with reloads and lead to pressure issues.

I bought this gun to replace the Glock I sold because I didn't like the Glock. I was planning on carrying this gun but now I am worried about other quality issues if they let a bore like this out of the factory.

Thanks

Dolomite

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 24/7 Pro in 9mm and it had the same "scratches" on the lands and in the grooves. Extremely accurate for me, always went BANG ! and put the bullet where I aimed it.

I traded it to a friend who put 500 through it, and now carries it for his ccw.

I didn't buy it new but I know who did and it had only 100 down the pipe when I got it. Might just be something in their mfg. process.

Yeah I think he now soaks the barrel in CLP (I think that's what it's called) for a few minutes before anything else. Honestly if the right deal on a compact 24/7 in .40 comes along I will own another. They aren't as smooth as other semi's but for me personally it had a nice, natural aim to it.

It does aim very nicely. I just spent about 45 minutes practicing my draw with it and a 1911 compact. For me both point to the same point which is nice.

With my Glock I was always low. The draw times are similar enough that it is a wash. Also, the cocked and locked motion is very close as well. One thing I do like about the 24/7 is it isn't as grip sensitive as the 1911. I don't want to pin the grip safety on the 1911.

I still need to do a ton of shooting to get comfortable enough to carry the 24/7.

Dolomite

I'll have to look at the barrel in my PT145, but I don't recall it looking like that. What you see are machining marks, looks like the broaching tool was a little dull. I can't think of a good way to smooth it out other than lots of bullets down the barrel. I wouldn't worry about pressure issues. The rougher surface may actually reduce the friction between the bullet and barrel slightly. Surfaces polished to a mirror sheen can be very sticky with regard to metal-to-metal contact, particularly when copper is involved.

Guest TnRebel

I have a Taurus PT111 Mil Pro 2nd Gen. 9mm and the bore is as smooth as a baby's behind . I bought mine new in 05 and have about 1000 to 1500 rounds down range. Did you buy this 24/7 new ?

It was bought new.

I called Taurus and they said it is normal to have what appears to be scratches on the lands and grooves as long as thet go with the twist, which mine do. So at any rate I guess this is normal so I am a bit more relieved.

I have lapped plenty of barrels before, just not any pistol barrels. I will try Flitzing it first before I go crazy with any other methods.

I am going to shoot some different ammo to see if it holds any better of groups than with the Federal 115 grain FMJ's. They would shoot OK but not great like everyone claims these pistols are capable of. In the end as long as it will go bang every time and hold minute of person at 10 yards I will be happy as this is destine to be a carry gun. I know it is a big gun but honestly I would rather have a big gun with plenty of rounds avaialbe than a tiny gun that has few rounds. I am currently carrying a compact 1911 that has 6+1 and that isn't enough for my liking.

Thanks Guys

Dolomite

I put about 100 more down the tube including what is going to be my temporary carry ammo. After that I spent about an hour Flitzing the bore. It is a lot smoother and all the scratches on the lands are pretty much gone. The ones in the grooves are almost gone but still visible. I'll take pictures in a few days and post them as well.

This was on top of about 150 earlier today while I was practicing some drills. So now I have about 450 rounds thru the gun in two days.

What led me to Flitz the bore is I chrono'd the defense loads. I was only able to locate some Hornady FTX 115 grain ammo on the short notice I was needing it. They are supposed to be 1140 fps and in a 4 in Glock they still manage ~1100 fps yet in the 5.25" Taurus they only managed 1081 fps AVG. Because of this I suspect the rough bore might be causing some issues. When I get another chance I will chrono the same ammo thru the new and improved barrel to see what, if any, improvements it made. With the smoother bore I will be a lot more comfortable shooting cast now as well.

Dolomite

I looked at my barrel and didn't see marks like yours had. But mine isn't sparkly clean at the moment and has 800-ish round count. Regarding the chronograph... your average of 1081 is only 5% below the listed value. That's pretty close. The 1140 may be corrected for "standard conditions" as well.

They are supposed to be 1140 fps and in a 4 in Glock they still manage ~1100 fps yet in the 5.25" Taurus they only managed 1081 fps AVG. Because of this I suspect the rough bore might be causing some issues. When I get another chance I will chrono the same ammo thru the new and improved barrel to see what, if any, improvements it made.

I'd be very interested in your results. In fact, I'll bet you could submit an article to one of the gun magazines on that subject and probably make some money with it. I've never seen that experiment before.

I just shot the same ammo, at the same distance, out of the same gun, during the similar conditions. It was a 5 shot average like before fire from the Taurus 24/7 with a 5.25" barrel. The ammunition that was fired was the same as before and out of the same box.

This time the rounds averaged 1106 FPS, not much of a gain but a 25 FPS is still a gain none the less. It equates to a little over a 2% increase. Kinetic energy difference is 298ft.lbs vs 312 ft.lbs.

I tried to get similar pictures of the bore for the before and after pictures. The light thru both barrels is roughly the same. I pointed the barrel in both pictures at my monitor with a white screen.

Before:

S5000253.jpg

After:

IMG_0359.jpg

Before polishing the bore was dark and rough compared to the new bore which is light and shiny. It also cleans a lot easier. Before I would scrub for what seemed like an eternity and still not be clean. I just ran a mop down it a few times then patched it and it was clean within an easy 3 minutes.

I might try this on a few other barrels to see if see similar results.

Dolomite