Consent to carry in other's homes?

Guest Newbie

• Moderators
Um, wow. I now see how some businesses end up posted. I could care less if the plumber I called is carrying. In fact, I'm probably gonna be happy he is. We need all the heat-packin', law-abiding citizens we can get. In the extremely unlikely event that the repairman I called decides to draw a gun on me, I reckon I'll have to deal with it, but I definitely don't forsee it happening. Maybe I'm just asking for trouble. Maybe I oughta hide the knives when the repairman comes, too. Oh, and the lighters and aerosol cans...
Don't forget your drunk cats and their harbals.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, wow. I now see how some businesses end up posted. I could care less if the plumber I called is carrying. In fact, I'm probably gonna be happy he is. We need all the heat-packin', law-abiding citizens we can get. In the extremely unlikely event that the repairman I called decides to draw a gun on me, I reckon I'll have to deal with it, but I definitely don't forsee it happening. Maybe I'm just asking for trouble. Maybe I oughta hide the knives when the repairman comes, too. Oh, and the lighters and aerosol cans...

You don't know if this guy is an idiot or not. You don't know if he knows anything about gun safety, whether he is on medication or stoned. But becuase he has a gun on his hip he's OK. He's your buddy. A brother in arms! Dude, you are nieve. How do you know he is a Law Abiding citizen? I have known too many idiots, dope heads and nut cases who call themselves plumbers. I am a firm believer in the US constitution and it's ammendments. I think we all have the right to keep and bare arms. Just not in my castle. I will not tolerate a stranger in my home armed. Don't I have that right?

Edited by Will Carry
  • Moderators
You don't know if this guy is an idiot or not. You don't know if he knows anything about gun safety, whether he is on medication or stoned. But becuase he has a gun on his hip he's OK. He's your buddy. A brother in arms! Dude, you are nieve. How do you know he is a Law Abiding citizen? I have known too many idiots, dope heads and nut cases who call themselves plumbers. I am a firm believer in the US constitution and it's ammendments. I think we all have the right to keep and bare arms. Just not in my castle. I will not tolerate a stranger in my home armed. Don't I have that right?
You absolutely do have that right. I don't think anyone was denying you have that right. but with that right, comes a responsibility to peaceably make anyone entering your home aware that you do not want them carrying a weapon before you draw down on them.

I'm not going to knowing let someone I don't know into my home armed either.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not that trusting with strangers when it's one on one like that.

But, no way in hell would I ever shoot, or point a loaded gun with it's safety off at someone I invited in my home just because I saw what I thought was a gun.

To attempt that, you're risking them pulling their gun thinking they're getting robbed, etc.

At best, you're looking at a trip to the pokey' after they call the cops on you.

I'll give you one thing - it'd depend a lot on their presentation. Personally, I'm picturing the last plumber I called as well as the last appliance guy I had to call. I wouldn't mind them having their protection a bit. This is Memphis. I'd rather them have it on them versus locked in their van on the street for some nutjob to come by and break in and steal it. But, on the other hand, if they look like they just got out on work release, I might agree with your line of thinking.

I'm always on guard (or at least I strive to be). I treat the guy with the openly carried gun the same as the guy that appears to be unarmed. I don't know what any one person may have on them. I have no idea what anyone's intentions are. But I keep my eyes open.

What about if you opened your own business? Would you post it "no firearms"? What if your immediate family worked there? Your hard money went into the business and you own it, so it's like your castle. Would you be more trusting there? If so, why?

What about if you opened your own business? Would you post it "no firearms"? What if your immediate family worked there? Your hard money went into the business and you own it, so it's like your castle. Would you be more trusting there? If so, why?

Very good question. I'm glad you asked that.

In Arkansas, you are supposed to notify people you are carrying a concealed handgun when carrying on a license before entering a dwelling house. It is a really stupid law. Those who are carrying when 'on a journey' are not required to do so.

I never ever tell people that I am carrying a weapon here because it is none of their business. I keep it secured on my person and maintain control of my handgun.

I don't mind someone in my home armed. But if I know they are...I ask them to not have it loaded. I hold the same courtesy when entering someone elses residense. I pop out the mag, clear and reholster. Putting the magazine in an appropriate pocket (I typically wear cargo shorts/pants).

Call me a safety nut, overly cautious or whatever else you want. I prefer to follow certains self imposed guidlines in life. They've kept me alive thus far.

Um, wow. I now see how some businesses end up posted. I could care less if the plumber I called is carrying. In fact, I'm probably gonna be happy he is. We need all the heat-packin', law-abiding citizens we can get. In the extremely unlikely event that the repairman I called decides to draw a gun on me, I reckon I'll have to deal with it, but I definitely don't forsee it happening.

This, +1.

For one, if the contractor shows up and doesn't strike me as coherent or professional enough to carry a handgun, I'll find a new contractor. Like was said before, there are a lot of dopers and hacks that do plumbing/ roofing/ tree work/ etc. If the guy strikes me as any of the above, I'll find someone else, gun or not. Now, if I do have a contractor come in and discover that he's carrying, I'd probably be happy about it. Along with all the reasons the other posters have mentioned, the fact that he's carrying tells me that he understands that he has a personal responsibility for his own safety. If he understands personal responsibility that well, odds are he gets it in regards to the work he does, also.

That said, I generally do my own work.

Oh I know what you guys are saying but I just ain't the trusting sort. My family are mountain folk and warey of strangers. I guess I take after them in more ways than I realize. Once they get to know someone and like'em, they are like family.

I dont have a magazine.

I know, without a doubt, I'm going to regret personally interacting with you. It's the same kinda regret you get after standing too close to the chimp cage at the zoo.

Unless you carry a revolver...if you don't have a magazine, then what do you have?

(Please oh please say "clip") :D

I carry a handgun in a lot of folks' houses. They just do not know. No way am I leaving it in my car and no way am I pulling it out of my holster and unloading it. I find it funny that people who have permits would worry about other people who have permits carrying legally. No wonder so many businesses in this state stick up these 'no guns' signs and the media has been whining and complaining for some time over and over about guns. I went to Arkansas last weekend and you know how many legal 'no guns' signs I saw...ZERO. No one cares or thinks about it. People cruise with loaded rifles and shotguns in trucks (none of of this silly needing a permit crap or only having the mag loaded...you want the chamber loaded go ahead)...you can carry handguns when 'on a journey' with no license...people don't give a lot of thought into it. I was in Eureka Springs..the most fruitcake hippie town in Arkansas and never noticed a legal no guns sign or anything like that. Nothing in Fayetteville either.

I know, without a doubt, I'm going to regret personally interacting with you. It's the same kinda regret you get after standing too close to the chimp cage at the zoo.

Unless you carry a revolver...if you don't have a magazine, then what do you have?

(Please oh please say "clip") :hiding:

A revolver.

Will Carry.two men(or women) carrying in the presence of one another usually insures polite conversation.

I've had a few repairmen have a gun on their person or in their toolbox . Never once has any of them ever pulled it out or "brandished " it .

I ask you to reconsider your mode of thinking because when you walk into any establishment do you not hope to presume that they will not deny you your rights. You are denying him or her theirs . After all it is you who called them to perform a service for you . You do have the right to be that way if you chose .Just asking you to walk a mile in another mans shoes . It is illogical to believe that a HCP holder would be anymore likley to harm you in your home than they would in public. Also you might be asking for a funeral. Wouldn't you standing there with a gun in your hand pointed at him in a threating manor also give him the right to defend himself .

Look at it from his(repairman's point of view) would you go to work in an environment where everyone else has the possibility of being armed but you.

I unfortunately do not have the option unless i choose to seek another line of work .Firearms are forbidden by my company on company property or in company vehicles. I drive truck for a living so guess where that leaves me .

(Please oh please say "clip") :)

Bond Arms Ranger?