tire rotation

Mike.357

is there any valid reason to prevent me from rotating my tires from drivers side to passenger side?

This crap of going back to front is not working.

I want to put driver side front to pasenger side front and drivers side rear to passenger side rear.

For whatever reason I have it in my head that I should not do this, not sure why.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned above, the only problem is that this reverses rotation. This is not a problem other than if it is directional tread or if the tires are over loaded and starting to seperate. If you have the later going on, you have problems anyway. I always rotate mine between the sides with no problems. They are some Wal-Mart specials going on 80k miles.

define directional tread? I don't think I have this. They are typical off brand mud and snow light truck tires. White letters on one side , i had my choice as to which side to face out.

my wifes tires have arrows on them to show the way they should roll.

PS no overloading issues or seperation, tires are at least still 50% good.

If you can look at the from the front and it looks extactly the same from the back, it is non-directional. Directional treads often have a "V" shape to the tread or some other design which you can see is not symmetrical. Most radial tires are not directional especially if it is an off-brand lt.

I just looked and if I switched sides on the tires the tread would still face the way they face now. In other words on the drivers side the outer band of tread sweeps back, on the passenger side they sweep forward. If I swapped them they would still face that way.

I think I have found a weekend project, well an hours work anyway.

Most radial tires are directional because of the layering

of the belts. Been this way for years. The addition of

directional tread makes it more important to go from

front to back as rotation. The Tire Rack has some good

info about tire mounting and rotating.

It really depends on the tires you have. I have been

using Goodyear Aquatred and Assurance Tripletread.

I rotate front to back and usually get 70 to 80k miles.

If you want to rotate side to side, it usually means

remounting. Check with the tire manufacturer.

70-80 thousand miles????????? Holy CRAP!!!!!!! I get 25,000 TOPS...and they are rotated every 6,000 miles.

70-80 thousand miles????????? Holy CRAP!!!!!!! I get 25,000 TOPS...and they are rotated every 6,000 miles.

25,000 miles for the life of the tire? If so, you got other problems (alignment or something else) or those are some cheeeeeaaaaaapppppp tires.

I got 65K out of my BF Goodrich All terrains on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, with All time 4wd system, where if the tires slipped, the 4wd would engage.

I got over 100k [120 + ?] on a set of michelins on my 2500 duramax. I think nitrogen helped you could tell a difference in the ride. Granted 95% of it was interstate. Doesn't look like I'm going that much on this set, driving in town

Edited by laktrash
25,000 miles for the life of the tire? If so, you got other problems (alignment or something else) or those are some cheeeeeaaaaaapppppp tires.

I got 65K out of my BF Goodrich All terrains on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, with All time 4wd system, where if the tires slipped, the 4wd would engage.

No...they are not cheap tires...they are tires that come n my NEW Nissan vehicles. The tires on my Titan are BF Goodrich AT's and they are worn out @ 24,000 miles. The tires on my wifes old 350Z were worn out @ 24-25,000 miles also.

Maybe it's the tire you are buying. I don't buy cheap

tires. My wife does better with tires than I do.

Guest jackdm3

My last new set at Sam's they told me to check the alignment. Is that something that most tire places say as SOP? I didn't really see the tread wearing that unevenly.

I looked at the tires hard. I cannot discern any difference between any of them as far as what direction they should roll.

If I swap them side to side the tread will still face the same direction on each side as they do now. As it is the drivers side and passenger side tread faces different directions.

Anyway they are Mesa A/P tires. I have no clue who actually made them. Bought them from NTB. The passenger side are worn funny on the inside. That problem was from a idler arm. It has been corrected. The drivers side tires are warn very evenly. They have been rotated front to back one time, probably 35,000 miles total on them.

My last new set at Sam's they told me to check the alignment. Is that something that most tire places say as SOP? I didn't really see the tread wearing that unevenly.

if they are wearing evenly I would not mess with it.

I usually end up with three tires worn down about the same and one just beat to crap.

And FWIW I always get asked about an alignment

Ditto on the directional, otherwise not a problem. It's recommended to rotate side-side on racing tires etc. to compensate for wear, it will be fine. I rotate front to back and side to side on all my cars if they are not directional tread or different size. No way the alignment is going to be perfect on all 4 corners.

Guest uofmeet

i got 52k+ on my factory tires....gonna put some all terrains on them soon. I could probably go longer, but would like a new set before the winter season....just in case.