Guest Drewsett

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
Soooo... How long did you spend in the "Big House"

:P

Amazingly enough, managed to get dismissed both times. Dunno nothin about court proceedings and its only my impression about how it seemed to be working. Maybe in reality the proceedings were not as random as they seemed. Perhaps wearing the suit and showing great respect to the judge and officers is just a superstition and it really does not affect the odds of the outcome, but it appeared to be an advantage. There are officers and lawyers on here that actually know of what they speak. I don't know anything about it.

There was one young feller who was in court because he had a prior DUI and license suspension, then had got a new ticket for driving without a license. The dude did not appear especially prosperous or bright. It was 10 in the morning and he showed up to the proceedings intoxicated. Upon further questioning, it turned out that he had driven himself to the court house that morning because he said nobody would give him a ride and he didn't want to miss court! At least he was honest about it! :popcorn: That guy went to jail. Maybe he was drunk in court because he knew he was destined for the slammer anyway and wanted one last good buzz to tide him over...

Then there was an ancient carpenter who showed up in worn but clean overalls and showed great contrition. He had got a ticket for being asleep drunk in his pickup truck in a grocery parking lot. He explained he had worked a long day and just drank a couple of beers in his truck after grocery shopping, and nodded out. That old guy skated. Apparently age and respect matters even if somone isn't dressed well. Or maybe it is just my imagination.

Guest Drewsett

Well, I clean up very well and am well spoken and respectful. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll take pity on me. Maybe I'll get really really lucky and the officer won't show. Wouldn't that be nice?

;)

Or get a good radar detector...

:ugh:

And a split second foot for when the laser alert goes off.. piss on that. I gave up detectors long ago. they all suck!

If it's your first ticket go to court and explain the situation to the judge. HE/She will in most cases reduce it. Maybe even to the point of it not going on your record wiich is I believe 5 miles over. If it's your lucky day maybe even get it dismissed.

Guest Drewsett
And a split second foot for when the laser alert goes off.. piss on that. I gave up detectors long ago. they all suck!

If it's your first ticket go to court and explain the situation to the judge. HE/She will in most cases reduce it. Maybe even to the point of it not going on your record wiich is I believe 5 miles over. If it's your lucky day maybe even get it dismissed.

That's the plan. I'm trying now to decide just how honest I should be. If I tell him or her I was frustrated by the slowmo in the fast lane I'm worried that he or she will want to "teach me a lesson". I don't like to lie, or even to stretch the truth, but I am also pretty darn broke heh.

One was a rolling stop and another was an out of date tag sticker.

Just pay that one. It's not a moving violation (viewed as an "equipment violation"). Shouldn't make your insurance go up and there's no points on it. Unless you just have a good excuse and want to see if the judge will dismiss it, I'd just pay it and be done with it.

Guest Lester Weevils
Originally Posted by Lester Weevils

One was a rolling stop and another was an out of date tag sticker.

Just pay that one. It's not a moving violation (viewed as an "equipment violation"). Shouldn't make your insurance go up and there's no points on it. Unless you just have a good excuse and want to see if the judge will dismiss it, I'd just pay it and be done with it.

Thanks, didn't know that. Makes sense now that you explain it.

Once you've grown older, and more patient, you'll soon find great pleasure in being the jerk in the passing lane doing 60mph and feeding the state some revenue!

I like getting a discount on insurance for no violations, better than passing everyone on the road.:D

Edited by tnhawk
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Drewsett

Well, I had my court date today. I spent a good amount of time on Michie familiarizing myself with the law so that I would know what to expect.

I got there 1 hour early, figuring that being early might get me an opportunity to speak with the judge or DA ahead of time, but the building wasn't even unlocked so I got to stand outside in a full suit for a half an hour. Had several people approach me and ask me to take their case (didn't think I looked that much like a lawyer, but oh well). Apparently the metal detectors are turned up so high in Rutherford county they actually make you take your belt off before you go in. Saw a couple of guys nearly lose their drawers that way.

Being early, only the DA had arrived in the courtroom, so I got a nice seat. When the "judge" came in, he informed us that he was a lawyer sitting in for the judge because the judge was in a meeting. While I'm sure it's legal, it seems as if it should be unconstitutional (at least in TN) for that to happen. General Sessions Judges have to be elected...no one elected that lawyer.

I waited for probably an hour before my name was called. When they called my name I said "present" and made my way to the podium. Before I could arrive, the "judge" read my citation and asked if I was speeding. I said "Yes sir", (wasn't going to say your honor because he wasn't a judge). He then asked if I had any tickets in the last two years. I said, "No sir, I've never had a ticket before in my life". I requested to take traffic school in Davidson County (I heard they were cheaper than Rutherford, and I live there so less of a drive for me). Apparently he knocked my fine down by 40 bucks, because when I went to the court clerk, she told me what to pay and that he had given me a break. I guess it pays to show up in formal attire and speak with respect.

Oh and apparently in Rutherford county, when you get your ticket and see that insanely high number for a fine, it isn't actually the fine. The court costs, administrative fees, and taxes are what really get you. The fine portion of my ticket was reduced to something like 25 bucks, but my ticket was still $225.

Now to schedule traffic school. Joy.

Guest KimberChick
You make me really love Memphis and the words "dismissed on costs"

Costs=$65

What chaps my ass is that folks will have their tickets dismissed as not guilty and they STILL get charged court fees occasionally. If you aren't guilty, you shouldn't have been in there anyway. Why pay for a citation that was essentially deemed to be a mistake?