Views/Info on the Bersa Thunder .380 or 9

RobertY

Thinking about getting either the Bersa Thunder .380 or 9 Ultra Compact for a carry piece for the wife when she gets her HCP. She has fired the .380 but not the 9. She was able to handle the kick of the .380.

How much more does the 9 kick?

What is the size of the 9 compared to the .380?

The piece that she fired was a well used rental. Are the slides just as easy to rack of new ones?

How easy are they to take down and clean?

In your opinions are either a good CC piece?

As always you input is Welcome.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about getting either the Bersa Thunder .380 or 9 Ultra Compact for a carry piece for the wife when she gets her HCP. She has fired the .380 but not the 9. She was able to handle the kick of the .380.

The piece that she fired was a well used rental. Are the slides just as easy to rack of new ones?

As always you input is Welcome.

Broken down by question:

In that size gun it will be a little more noticeable, but should be manageable. I would weigh it on how easily she controlled the .380.

They come in a couple different sizes. They aren't much larger for the most part though. bersa 9mm - Google Product Search

No. They aren't horrible new, but it will not be as easy as one with older springs that has been fired alot.

I took them apart quite a bit when I worked at a range/gun shop. They are pretty simple.

I do not have much experience with the 9mm, but the .380 is top notch and was, at one time, one of the most desired CC guns on the market.

I have a Firestorm .22LR (made by Bersa), a Bersa Thunder .380CC and a Bersa Thunder 9 Pro in 9mm. I really like them all. The 380CC is streamlined for conceal carry with no snag sights, etc. Quite a bit of size diff in the 9s. Cant go wong with either one, but many women end up not carrying the bigger guns they buy.Well guys too for that matter, lol. Id say go for the .380 for her.

I would want my wife to carry something better than

a Bersa,I have shot them at the gun range and I was totally unimpressed with Bersa ,it was not something I was stake my life on and

she may have to shoot someone to save my own life not too mention her own.......

Ruger SR9c is what I bought for my wife,American made,deadly accurate and easy to rack and shoot,very low recoil

I have a Bersa UC9 that I would have no problem trusting my life to. I've never had a single failure with it after about 500 rounds. Bersas are highly underrated. There should be little recoil difference between the .380 and the 9, so I would choose the 9 if it were me.

My wife gave up on her Bersa because it was too big for her to conceal. Any reasonable holster put the grip in her armpit. She carries an NAA Guardian in .380 now but, due to arthritis, can no longer rack the slide on any semi-auto, blowback or recoil-operated. We're at the point where she'll have to migrate to a revolver. She currently has an NAA mini in .22 mag but I hope to find a .38 Special snubbie that she'll be willing to put up with.

If there was a snubbie smaller than a j-frame in maybe .32 mag or .327 mag it would interest both of us. I don't care if it's only 4 shots, as long as she'll carry it. A 2-shot derringer is a definite possibility.

Thank You everyone for your answers/info/opinions and links. She is still considering either of them. I guess the next step would be to go to a shop that would allow her to try them in a holster to see if she can conceal them easily. She is a very small lady at only 5' tall and maybe 100 lbs.

Like all have said before Bersa makes a great gun. I have fired the thunder.380 and the .45

and like them both.

My sister has the thunder .380 and is about the same size as your wife and she struggles racking the slide .

. A Kel-tec is more concealable and in the same price range .If you are willing to spend more money you might also consider a Kahr .

Co workers Significant other would have NOTHING other than her Bersa Thunder. Loves it, carries it, LOVES it.

have your wife handle one before she decides, it may not feel right to her, or she may love the way it feels in her hand. One has to handle one (no matter the brand or model) to be sure.

Guest 1817ak47

I bought a new bersa 9 for the lady. but it is the hc(high capacity) model. very light recoil, lady really likes it. never had any issues with ours yet.

I tried finding a big post I had about it but the search on this site horribly sucks as I can never find jack ish that I have put on here. won't even bring up posts that I have started when doing a search under my own name