Rifle ranges in West TN?

M4sherman

As of right now I have to drive 45+ miles to use a 100 yard range I cleared of and would like to know if there are ANY rifle ranges around Memphis? Don't get me wrong I like my little private range but the land owners'(grandparents) rules say that only myself and my family may use their property for anything (shooting,ATV's and fishing) so taking my buddies shooting ain't going to happen there.

So anyone know of any places?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This comes up all the time. Pretty much limited to MSSA in Shelby County. The first-year cost is insane to join - I think it was over $600 last time I looked - and completely not worth it in my opinion (others will disagree). There is the Desoto Pistol & Rifle Club in MS (little more of a haul, but great folks and decent joining fees). You can shoot anything under 3600 fps at Sportsman's Choice in Brighton, but it's an indoor range and (I think) only 25 yards. 'Bout all I know of since they shut down the range at Shelby Farms.

It is a novel Idea and you could probably set it up for around 30K (have accesse to tractors,dump trucks ,backhoes and dirt) but the only problem is that I am 18 with no cash or credit. the other side of piperton would be a nice place to set up though.....

the info is unfortunately correct. MSSA is the only rifle range in West Tn that goes out to 100 yards (or more). Then Shelby county Mayor Wharton shut it down stating it was for fiscal reasons. Turns out the truth lay elsewhere. Maybe, just maybe the new county mayor will reopen, IF we all push the subject.

It's easy to only see the physical costs, yet Liability Insurance will rip you the biggest one imaginable!

that and paying off the local Fayette county officials. :P

MSSA is nice. I joined up last month. This weekend there was a nice flea market and gun swap (members only). I sold my Rem 1100 barrel there. They have a lot to do and there are matches all month long. By the way you don't have to be a member to shoot in most matches. This saturday there will be a 3 gun match. Starts at 8am.

Nothing else i can think of near memphls. Natchez Trace has a 100 yd range, but it is a drive from Memphis, probably 2 hours.

Edited by gotigers
the info is unfortunately correct. MSSA is the only rifle range in West Tn that goes out to 100 yards (or more). Then Shelby county Mayor Wharton shut it down stating it was for fiscal reasons. Turns out the truth lay elsewhere. Maybe, just maybe the new county mayor will reopen, IF we all push the subject.

Like A.C.'s MAIG membership maybe?

Guest BRad704

I live right at Whitten and Mullins Station, so reopening the Shelby Farms range would be AMAZING for me!!!

My dad's a member at MSSA and only goes out there to shoot skeet occasionally. I definitely cant afford it, but it IS a really nice set up out there...

Last time I heard, and this was from the owner of a local range, Memphis/Shelby County is interested in selling the old county range at Shelby Farms.....Maybe we should coordinate a TGO group buy.......What do ya'll think?

Shoot I'm down and that's 100% serious. As gotigers said the only other thing close is the Natchez Trace TWRA range. ROAD TRIP!!!

Guest jackdm3

I'm STILL pissed that Luttell held a meeting for the TFA crowd and told them not to bring guns into his range by the penal farm last year. Don't know why he'd be a proponent of opening the Walnut Grove range again, seeing as he's not very much in favor of guns in a lot of places, namely joining the Mayors against guns in restaurants. I know it's 2 different topics, but if he doesn't carry himself, why would he help us out?

I'm STILL pissed that Luttell held a meeting for the TFA crowd and told them not to bring guns into his range by the penal farm last year. Don't know why he'd be a proponent of opening the Walnut Grove range again, seeing as he's not very much in favor of guns in a lot of places, namely joining the Mayors against guns in restaurants. I know it's 2 different topics, but if he doesn't carry himself, why would he help us out?

Had not heard all that. Forget him I guess.

Under whose control is that land, Memphis or Shelby County? I'm thinking county since AC was the one who scuttled while county mayor. Luttrel might be easier to get on board?

If I am not mistaken that range was closed long before AC became mayor of Shelby County. I thought that range was closed in the 1990s.

why would he help us out?

Because he's elected. Make enough of a stink (get enough folks on board) and it might help. Still not a guarantee.

If I am not mistaken that range was closed long before AC became mayor of Shelby County. I thought that range was closed in the 1990s.

I remember taking my wife there and we started dating in May of 2002. So sometime around 2002 or 2003.