How many unarmed people must be attacking you before you can shoot? (Iowa thugs)

I'm sure the answer is not going to be favorable to the victim, if he were carrying a handgun legally. But this scenario raises the question:

Police say it's 'very possible' attacks near fairgrounds had racial overtones | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Sgt. David Murillo stated in a report on Friday night, "On-duty officers at the fairgrounds advise there was a group of 30 to 40 individuals roaming the fairgrounds openly calling it 'beat whitey night.' "

Jammie Carroll, 36, of Polk City, was seriously injured in the 3000 block of East Grand Avenue Friday night after a group of people beat him up, causing severe injuries to his eyes, cheekbones and nose, Murillo wrote. Carroll is white, and many of the suspects are black, police said.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drv2fst

"group of 30 to 40 individuals roaming the fairgrounds openly calling it 'beat whitey night.' "

Sounds justifiable to me, once it changed from just talk to actual harm, even more clearly justifiable. Am I wrong? I hope not.

If I am in fear or life or bodily harm, probably 2 or more, unless its one REALLY big guy, tall as I am(6'4") or taller and alot bigger built than me (185lb).

honestly I dont care about the situation, but I am NOT going home in a body bag if there's ANYTHING I can do to stop it.

RBC maybe you should read some case law and get back to us. There have been numerous self-defense cases where a victim has wounded/killed unarmed individuals after being attacked by a group. There is nothing in the law that states you can only be afraid if someone has a weapon. You don't think 2,3,4, or 5 individuals beating on someone would be cause to be in fear of great bodily injury or death? If you do then that's unfortunate for you, because the courts disagree with you.

Sgt. David Murillo stated in a report on Friday night, "On-duty officers at the fairgrounds advise there was a group of 30 to 40 individuals roaming the fairgrounds openly calling it 'beat whitey night.' "

And that's why I carry a P14 with 2 extra mags.

Guest drv2fst
I would open negotiations with them since we are all part of humanity.

Yes, I agree. Clearly all they really needed was a good conversation about how to correct their misguided frustrations. Guns should just be uninvented. :) :) :D

Guest SUNTZU
Yes, I agree. Clearly all they really needed was a good conversation about how to correct their misguided frustrations. Guns should just be uninvented. :) :) :D

Exactly! [/thread] [/forum]

3 people with no training are enough to beat another human being to death, depending on how well trained and armed the other person is. I've been on the recieving end of a 5 on 1 beating, and it probably would've hurt a lot more if I hadn't been wasted out of my mind. I was left busted open with a concussion bleeding in the streets. Had I not recieved almost immediate help I have no doubt the amount of blood I was losing (what with the being wasted and all) could've made my predicament much more serious.

I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Look if I am in fear of my life or serious bodily harm than I must do what I think is best. When I go to court over this, I must be represented as having no other option. If I am misrepresented and spend time in prison than so be it. What would you have me do, take the beating that could ultimately lead to my death, because I am scared of jail time? No sir.

Well I hope you guys like jail time, because if you shoot a couple unarmed teenagers, that's where you will be.

It was more of a rhetorical question.

Wow...you apperantly have no clue.

Do you know for a fact whether or not this group of people (or just one person) has had any military or fight trainning?? Doubt it. If someone makes an intentional advance you can run/walk instead of holding your ground. This is and has been common practice as no one really wants to have to shoot anyone. Walking away is always recomended. IF and when you can't and you HAVE to stand your ground, the intentions of the person is what you have to determine on your own. If you determine the intentions are to harm or kill, you have every right to defend yourself no matter how many people there are.

There have been a few posts by TGO members who have been in a similar situation. The have stated that by just mearly drawing thier weapon the advancement by the "bad guy(s)" was halted and the TGO member was able to "get away" to saftey and contact the proper athorities.

There are always other options but if you make the decision to use your weapon, just because the "bad guy" is unarmed DOES NOT mean he can't kill you. Remember, dead is dead and we all want to make it out alive.

I would open negotiations with them since we are all part of humanity.

Like Regan said "Trust, but verify." If negotiations break down I don't want to be unarmed.

I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

+1

I would not do well in a fight with most unarmed teenage girls. One guy who was portraying sufficient motivation to hurt/kill me would be enough.

Regardless of the number if they are unarmed I pull my weapon. If they continue I incapacitate 1 to make an example. If they continue I have no problem using whatever amount of force preserves my life. If it is just 1 person unarmed, whatever amount of force it takes to keep him at bay. Last thing I want is to be in a situation where they get my gun and shoot me.