My New Mongrel AR (build)

mikegideon

I have been trying to fit an AR into my budget for awhile now. After more than a year, I figured out that my AR stash kept getting depleted because of other gun purchases. So, last weekend I decided to buy a stripped lower. Then, I could throw a little bit of money into the AR over time. I also knew that my OCD would force me to finish the rifle, no matter how long it took.

So, after two long days of scrimping, saving, and buying a few parts at a time, I managed to get all the stuff on order. Did I mention my OCD?

Double Star Stripped Lower

Double Star Lower Parts Kit

Hogue Grip

DPMS Pardus 6 Pos Stock Kit

DPMS A3 Assembled Upper

Magpul PMAG (gonna get a bunch more)

Bushnell Trophy MP Red Dot (not sure about this one yet)

The hand guard is gonna have to go. Will probably replace with a Magpul MOE. Gonna hit the range sometime today.

IMG_0451a.jpg

IMG_0452a.jpg

IMG_0455a.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wrestling with the handguard thing. Part of me wants to stick a real rail package on it, but I have no plans to hang a bunch of crap on the gun. A bipod mount would be nice. Already have one, so the MOE with a short bottom rail is perfect.

BTW... I'm real happy that i decided to do a partial build. I appreciate the platform a lot more because of it. Don't think I saved much money.

Edited by mikegideon

If you are looking for a good rail system that won't break the bank, Midwest Industries and Daniel Defense make drop-in rail systems that replace the plastic handguards, and require no modification to your rifle. They both lock up tight, and are a great value for the money ($130 to $150 range).

Yeah, you don't save a lot by doing your own build, it's more about the satisfaction of putting it together yourself.

Just don't know that I want a rail system. They look cool. I've looked at the Midwest and Daniel Defense. If they're any heavier than the polymer, I'll probably pass.

The main think about the build... if the lower malfunctions somehow, I'll know where to look. I also know what falls out when you change the grip :-)

• Admin Team

Nice work! I was talking to someone recently who argued that it should be considered a civic responsiility for every citizen to have a working knowledge of their country's primary battle rifle. I would extend that out to being able to put one together as well. It's not a hard task by any means, but it feels good to know that you can do it.

Nice work! I was talking to someone recently who argued that it should be considered a civic responsiility for every citizen to have a working knowledge of their country's primary battle rifle. I would extend that out to being able to put one together as well. It's not a hard task by any means, but it feels good to know that you can do it.

Haven't tackled the upper yet, except to clean the grease out and get it ready to run. I'm sure I'll get intimate with that too.

Looks nice to me.

I have been considering doing this for the same reasons you mentioned. I can't just come off the cash that easy, but building one who evaporate the money slowly over time.

The stripped lower and parts kit are both fairly cheap. So is the stock. the upper was a chunk of change, but you could bust that up too. The thing I liked was the fact that it's 100 bucks, and you're done with the store and the background check. The rest, you can take your time, read up, and buy when you're ready.

...I've been wrestling with the handguard thing. Part of me wants to stick a real rail package on it, but I have no plans to hang a bunch of crap on the gun. A bipod mount would be nice. Already have one, so the MOE with a short bottom rail is perfect.

BTW... I'm real happy that i decided to do a partial build. I appreciate the platform a lot more because of it. Don't think I saved much money. ...

Mike:_____________

You may want to take a look at the round freefloat handguards. You can put a small peice of rail where you want it and leave the rest of the handguard for your hand, and not spare rail. I like the free floats. I believe they are the best accuracy improver you can do to a non-precision AR (...or any other rifle, for that matter...).

RE: Saving money. I agree, we have done a couple or AR's. The great thing is that you get what you want.

Keep up the good work!

Kind reagrds,

leroy

Yeah. 6.8 AR mentioned free float too. I'll do a little more schooling. Weight is a big deal to me on this rifle, and dead nuts accuracy isn't a big priority. I think I'm going to leave the red dot on there, and it's plenty accurate with that optic. I would have to put a real scope on it to find out what it's really doing.

BTW... looks like I'm probably going to build up another lower for a buddy that's been sitting on one forever. The next one will go fast.

• 1 month later...

I tweaked it some. Added ...

UTG rail package

Magpul rail covers (the UTG covers kinda suck)

Magpul MBUS

Primary Arms M4 clone

The Bushnell optic is great, but doesn't leave enough room on the rail for a backup sight. I'm also tickled with the PA optic. Haven't sighted it in yet.

IMG_0465a.jpg