How much ammo do you carry for EDC?

I decided to lighten up my load for EDC.

I picked up a PS90 which is a bit lighter than my P556 and I can carry 2 spare mags for it and they are lighter than 60 rounds of 5.56. Of course I picked up a bandoleer for 410 shells that holds 20 rounds for my Judge magnum. If my math is right I now carry 175 rounds of ammo each time I am out and about on my property each day.

I think Mike needs a SBR PS90 in a computer shoulder bag with 4 spare mags. It would make a nice BUG!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Armgdnman

I just skimmed through this thread so forgive me if i am kicking a dead horse.

I can see the use of a sidearm with a BUG. I had a job doing door security in a REALLY rough part of town and this is what I carried:

HK USP45 with 2 spare mags

Surefire

Taurus Ti .357mag 7 shot in my vest under my arm

My thought process was, "why make this a fair fight". So I can see the time and place for carrying 2 firearms.

Now that I am out of the club security scene I carry a full size sidearm (because I'm 6'3" 240lbs I can kinda "hide" a 92FS) with 1 spare mag and surefire in a fobus holster that sits in my center console. If I need it, its there.

As for carrying more? Well, I did enough of that in the military. Still no reason to chastise someone for carrying more. If you want to lug all that around, be my guest. My worry would be weapon retention. Its hard enough to keep a person from getting my one sidearm when they want it, I can't imagine there being a struggle for 3.

Edited by Armgdnman
As for carrying more? Well, I did enough of that in the military. Still no reason to chastise someone for carrying more. If you want to lug all that around, be my guest. My worry would be weapon retention. Its hard enough to keep a person from getting my one sidearm when they want it, I can't imagine there being a struggle for 3.

I have tried so many carry methods looking for the one setup that suits me. This is the one I have landed on:

S&W M&P 45c IWB strongside at 4:00 with 2 extra mags weakside in a Don Hume double mag carrier.

S&W 442 in left front pocket in a pocket holster with one or two speedstrips in right front pocket.

That's 40 rounds. Sounds like a lot, but it's all in what you become accustomed to. I used to carry one weapon with no reload till I started talking to others and reading other viewpoints. Extra ammo and a BUG just made sense to me, but I didn't want to feel like I was lugging a complete armory around. There are numerous ways to carry reloads and BUGs that add very little weight to any current carry setup. But it's all personal preference.

I look at it this way. If I'm with my wife, or my son, and we suddenly found ourselves in a bad situation, the BUG would be for one of them as she doesn't want to carry and he can't legally just yet. Or it could be for someone else. Better to have one more armed good guy if the situation demanded it. I used to take extra food backpacking when I was a scout leader in case someone didn't bring enough or any at all. Same principle.

Since I carry well-concealed, the attacker would have to somehow know that they were there in order to wrestle them away from me.

And thank you for your service.

I just skimmed through this thread so forgive me if i am kicking a dead horse.

I can see the use of a sidearm with a BUG. I had a job doing door security in a REALLY rough part of town and this is what I carried:

HK USP45 with 2 spare mags

Surefire

Taurus Ti .357mag 7 shot in my vest under my arm

My thought process was, "why make this a fair fight". So I can see the time and place for carrying 2 firearms.

Now that I am out of the club security scene I carry a full size sidearm (because I'm 6'3" 240lbs I can kinda "hide" a 92FS) with 1 spare mag and surefire in a fobus holster that sits in my center console. If I need it, its there.

I have tried so many carry methods looking for the one setup that suits me. This is the one I have landed on:

S&W M&P 45c IWB strongside at 4:00 with 2 extra mags weakside in a Don Hume double mag carrier.

S&W 442 in left front pocket in a pocket holster with one or two speedstrips in right front pocket.

That's 40 rounds. Sounds like a lot, but it's all in what you become accustomed to. I used to carry one weapon with no reload till I started talking to others and reading other viewpoints. Extra ammo and a BUG just made sense to me, but I didn't want to feel like I was lugging a complete armory around. There are numerous ways to carry reloads and BUGs that add very little weight to any current carry setup. But it's all personal preference.

I look at it this way. If I'm with my wife, or my son, and we suddenly found ourselves in a bad situation, the BUG would be for one of them as she doesn't want to carry and he can't legally just yet. Or it could be for someone else. Better to have one more armed good guy if the situation demanded it. I used to take extra food backpacking when I was a scout leader in case someone didn't bring enough or any at all. Same principle.

Since I carry well-concealed, the attacker would have to somehow know that they were there in order to wrestle them away from me.

:) two of the best answers so far IMHO

Guest Armgdnman

If you train with carrying 2 weapons then I agree completely. As for handing a weapon off, I dont really know how to feel about it. If things get that bad I'm switching gears to the mindset, "the only thing a pistol is good for, is fighting my way to a rifle".

Please do not think I am criticizing your viewpoint. I just subscribe to the old axiom, "fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it". If everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be carrying Glocks.

You're welcome. It was my pleasure.