How much ammo do you carry for EDC?

And that's the key, as statistically speaking, you'll never need to use your firearm. And if you do, statistically speaking, you'll need around three rounds.

The point is, the chances of your getting into a firefight is astronomically small for most people, and then the need for more then 3-5 rounds is astronomically smaller again - those who wish to carry BUGs and extra mags are welcome, but to act as if it's foolish to not do so when your chances of dying in a car wreck are probably 1000x (or maybe 1,000,000X) greater is, well, truly short sighted...

So... if your odds of being in a gunfight are really that small, which they are, why carry at all then?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... if your odds of being in a gunfight are really that small, which they are, why carry at all then?

Because it's not an absolute - I may well need it someday and would rather have it and not need it then vice versa. That's an acceptable compromise for me.

It's why I've said that those who choose to carry multiple firearms and reloads are welcome to do so - no one knows with any certainty what the future holds. That being said, acting as if it's foolish to not load out with multiple firearms and mags is silly. Every one of us plays the odds as we see fit.

I spend 90% of my waking time around the farm so I tend to carry 5 rounds of .410 in a Judge with 5 spare and a P556 with 2 extra mags in my sling bag. That gives a total of 100 rounds if I want to stop at my range and do some target practice while walking around.

60742.jpg

My name is not KWIK and I do not carry this in state parks.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Because it's not an absolute - I may well need it someday and would rather have it and not need it then vice versa. That's an acceptable compromise for me.

It's why I've said that those who choose to carry multiple firearms and reloads are welcome to do so - no one knows with any certainty what the future holds. That being said, acting as if it's foolish to not load out with multiple firearms and mags is silly. Every one of us plays the odds as we see fit.

Very good answer.

DaddyO, think of it this way. You are way more likely to have a flat tire than to end up in a lethal encounter. In fact, I'd argue that ALL drivers will, at some point, have a flat. It is also quite possible to have multiple flats, rendering the standard care useless and inoperable. So, one could argue that it's safer to have multiple spare tires with you at all times.

So, is the person who only carries one spare "foolhardy"? :rolleyes:

Very good answer.

DaddyO, think of it this way. You are way more likely to have a flat tire than to end up in a lethal encounter. In fact, I'd argue that ALL drivers will, at some point, have a flat. It is also quite possible to have multiple flats, rendering the standard care useless and inoperable. So, one could argue that it's safer to have multiple spare tires with you at all times.

So, is the person who only carries one spare "foolhardy"? :rolleyes:

Guy, carry however you wish. You have your opinion and I have mine; let's just leave it at that. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

Guy, carry however you wish. You have your opinion and I have mine; let's just leave it at that. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

Haha, nice projecting.

If you read the thread, you're the only one who tried to convince anyone their choice was foolish.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Agreed, but I didn't call anyone "foolhardy" either..... :rolleyes:

It's all good. Please don't let my "freshman" status here fool you. I'm no novice when it comes to firearms and self defense. I promise you that my self defense tactics are well thought out and reasoned.

Horse pucky. Period.

You are only able carry without being arrested because you have paid TN $115 for that privilege.

TN does not fully honor the 2nd Amendment.

- OS

Let me rephrase for you to better understand what I said.

The question was posed...why carry at all?

My answer....better explained...

At 36 years old, I've lived in NY, NJ, PA, GA, AL, NC, SC, VA, FLA, CA and now TN. Not once in those 36 years have I ever "needed" a gun. Not even with my recent prowler that was on my property. A cup of boiling water woulda fixed his arse, a gun just made him give up quicker. Trust me when I say that if I didn't need a gun in 15 years between NY and NJ, I certainly don't "need" one in TN lol

I don't carry because I think there's a bad guy around every corner and every shadow is coming for me (as it's abundantly clear most of you do). I carry because it IS my constitutional right to do so (regardless of you thinking it is a privilege).

I've served my country, I've been "there" and done "that". Carrying doesn't make me feel any bigger or more secure than if I weren't. It's my right and my choice. I choose to carry.....because I can. That's it. And if I need to clear that up any further then I'm simply wasting my efforts.

Have a great day :poop:

I've served my country, I've been "there" and done "that". Carrying doesn't make me feel any bigger or more secure than if I weren't. It's my right and my choice...

That's my point. You don't have to pay money or qualify to exercise a "right".

Don't kid yourself that TN supports the right to bear arms. They have only grudgingly allowed its residents to purchase that (limited) privilege.

And no, it is NOT simply a matter of semantics.

- OS

Haha, nice projecting.

If you read the thread, you're the only one who tried to convince anyone their choice was foolish.

No, just gave my opinion. Wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. Usually though, people have that attitude when they don't like what you're saying. And yes, I stand by my statement that not carrying extra ammo is foolish. But that's just my opinion. Don't get in a huff about it.

Agreed, but I didn't call anyone "foolhardy" either..... :poop:

It's all good. Please don't let my "freshman" status here fool you. I'm no novice when it comes to firearms and self defense. I promise you that my self defense tactics are well thought out and reasoned.

Whatever you say.... Oh, and your story about taking the instructor's weapon from him and emptying it? BS on that one. If it really happened, and he had any cajones at all, you would have been looking up at the sky.

Edited by DaddyO

Anyone carrying 4 (if I counted correctly...if not then 3) handguns is either an incredibly poor shot, severely insecure with either their abilities or their guns performance or is so dilussional that they just walk around thinking they are in a Resident Evil video game.

Anyone carrying 4 (if I counted correctly...if not then 3) handguns is either an incredibly poor shot, severely insecure with either their abilities or their guns performance or is so dilussional that they just walk around thinking they are in a Resident Evil video game.

Awww, go ahead and say it - we're compensating for the size of our manhood, right? :P

Or how about this one: we're just a bunch of "Rambos".

You do realize that anti-gunners make the same argument about you for carrying a gun at all, don't you?

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Whatever you say.... Oh, and your story about taking the instructor's weapon from him and emptying it? BS on that one. If it really happened, and he had any cajones at all, you would have been looking up at the sky.

So, now I'm a liar? If you'd like proof, send me a PM and I'd be happy to give the the name, address and telephone number of the company and the head instructor. The training was held in 2002 at the Terrebonne Parish Sheriffs Range in Louisiana. I'm not going to name the instructor in public without his consent, but you can ask him for it when you call him.

I'm trying to be polite to you here, chief. Please try to be civil, especially to a neighbor and fellow gun owner.

Edited by Guy N. Cognito

P

Awww, go ahead and say it - we're compensating for the size of our manhood, right? :)

Or how about this one: we're just a bunch of "Rambos".

You do realize that anti-gunners make the same argument about you for carrying a gun at all, don't you?

LOL atleast you amuse me. That's the best I can say about you friend.

Or, works in a severely f**ked up part of town, at a bad time, where there are gunshots heard nightly. I'll stick with what I have.

Mike

I apologize to those who took offense at my earlier remarks. But let me reiterate to those who think carrying extra ammo and a BUG or two is somehow indicative of paranoia or some sort of "Rambo" complex - those who would deny you your right to carry make the same arguments against you for carrying a weapon at all (much less owning one).

If you criticize someone for carrying a BUG or extra ammo, what differentiates your attitude from that of the anti-gunners? I've been criticized for stating that carrying a spare mag or two and a BUG should be common practice and that carrying only what you "think" you'll need is unwise. But that's fine. I'm a big boy and I have a pretty thick skin, and it doesn't make me feel the least bit stupid or guilty for carrying more than I will probably need. I like being prepared and it is my nature to overdo it just a bit in everything, which is why I don't make such a great backpacker, because I tend to take to much gear.

Guest FiddleDog

13+12+!2 in 9mm, Kershaw Chive. Not a big deal on amount carried. If I could do more comfortably, I might. But then, I make it a point to be nowhere on Nolensville Road, like Mike is. :rolleyes: In all seriousness, He probably is a little under-armed for that area. My priorities are to protect myself and my family. That includes avoid and escape if 37 rounds is not enough.

I would guess that, in Mike's case, as he is obligated to be in a particularly bad neck of the woods, his arsenal is a reflection of an accurate awareness of where he is and when he's there. If I had to be in that neighborhood at 2am for my livelihood, I'd probably carry more than him. The problem with the neighborhood is gangs, and that's a totally different ball of wax than random bad guy.

Edited by FiddleDog

The way i see it is this, Some guys think that carrying extra ammo is just extra weight and you shouldn't ever have to empty a full mag,but the thing is weather or not your the greatest shot in the world or not, extra ammo isn't going to kill you to carry infact it will probably help you shed a few pounds haha. Regardless of what your opinion is on it, I'll put it like this, I hope i never have to draw my gun on an individual, if I must I hope I never have to use it, If I have to use it then I hope I don't have to fire more then one shot.The thing is though for all i know terriost could invade the country while I'm on the roadways,not able to get back to your home,Then what? you have a low supply of ammo and no means of defending yourself if you empty your one mag. So call me paranoid or what have you,but I'd rather be safe then sorry :rolleyes:, the likely hood of that scenario happening is slim to none and slim probably just left,but the likely hood of the government wanting to come take your weapons,well i'll say its a bit higher :P. So i'll keep my 2 or 3 hi caps in the sig and my ak in the trunk along with my bug out bags in all my vehicles and bullet proof vest

Just to clarify, I never said carrying extra ammo was unwise. My remarks were to those carrying 3-4 actual handguns. 2 I can see and feel is normal. 3-4? Unrealistic and ridiculous. But that's just my opinion. I myself carry my EDC with 3 total mags for a total of 46 rounds. I personally even feel that amount of ammo is excessive but just at the limit of "comfortable carry". My thoughts towards myself...if I need more than 46 rounds then I should of never been carrying in the first place.

I might eventually get a pocketgun...maybe a Diamondback. We'll see.