How much ammo do you carry for EDC?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito

EDC is an EMP 9MM. 10 rounds in gun. 1 spare mag. 19 rounds total. Glock 26 in car. 11 rounds in gun, 1 spare 15 round mag with it.

I don't live a lifestyle that requires carrying multiple guns, nor do I like to pretend that I can prepare for any scenario. Carrying one gun with no spare mags makes me more prepared than 99.9% of the general population, and that's good enough for me

EDC is an EMP 9MM. 10 rounds in gun. 1 spare mag. 19 rounds total. Glock 26 in car. 11 rounds in gun, 1 spare 15 round mag with it.

I don't live a lifestyle that requires carrying multiple guns, nor do I like to pretend that I can prepare for any scenario. Carrying one gun with no spare mags makes me more prepared than 99.9% of the general population, and that's good enough for me

Well said.

I don't live a lifestyle that requires carrying a weapon at all. That said, I never heard anyone who was ever in a gunfight say that they wish they had brought less ammo.

Two is one, one is none. You can have "good enough". I'll take tactical redundancy.

Edited by DaddyO
Guest Guy N. Cognito

Well, I've never met a civilian who was in a gunfight that needed a reload. With all of the training I've done, I've met a large number of people that have been in gunfights. When I had to use a firearm to defend myself years ago I only needed 3 rounds.

Since 1997, I've taken about 200 hours of firearms training. Take enough training and couple it with a healthy dose of Internet forums, and you'll started feeling ill-prepared unless your carrying multiple firearms and hundreds of rounds. That choice is up to the individual person, but I've decided that one gun and on spare mag is really all I need to handle 99% of the situations I may encounter on the street. Historical data on civilian shootings back up my decision.

I once attended a defensive shooting class, intending to shoot the entire thing with my glock 26. After seeing it in my holster, the instructor asked me to dump my "bug" and present my real sidearm. We debated the topic for a few minutes before he relented and allowed me to use it. At the end of the two day, 1000 round class, I had the second best score out of 20 shooters and never had a single malfunction. In one drill, the instructor asked to see the students gun, then, while holding the gun, gave the student the "fight" command. The intent was for the student to go for their bug. With a smirk, he asked me "need your bug back?" Not to be belittled I stepped behind him, drew his 1911 from his own kydex holster and proceeded to empty the mag in the target, using him as a shield. He wanted to throw me out, but the head instructor instead congratulated me for thinking outside the box. He used the example to teach the class that your best weapon is your mind, not your gun.

Since 1997, I've taken about 200 hours of firearms training. Take enough training and couple it with a healthy dose of Internet forums, and you'll started feeling ill-prepared unless your carrying multiple firearms and hundreds of rounds. That choice is up to the individual person, but I've decided that one gun and on spare mag is really all I need to handle 99% of the situations I may encounter on the street. Historical data on civilian shootings back up my decision.

Maybe your gun is one out of a million that is 100% reliable (Glocks have been known to have failures), but mags are notorious for failing when you need them. I'll stick with my primary and BUG, and two reloads for each.

Testing the law of averages is foolhardy at best.

Edited by DaddyO
Guest Guy N. Cognito

Again, you just can't plan for every contingency. I am well versed in malfunction clearance and know that, in real life, I am faster clearing a malfunctioning mag than I am going for a bug in an ankle holster. My current carry gun has thousands of rounds down the pipe without a single malfunction, as do any of the pistols I keep for self defense. Could they malfunction? Sure, but it's unlikely and I know how to clear most malfunctions quickly.

Wanna talk about averages? I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people in this state don't carry any sort of weapon for self defense. Just by carrying a SINGLE weapon ( and knowing how to use it) I am better prepared than 99% of the population. Foolhardy? Funny. How many guns must I carry before I'm prepared.

I'm more confid

Agreed, big +1.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
You guys make me laugh.

Well, at what point do we carry sufficient armament to make you not laugh? Is two guns enough? There's a guy above who has three......should he be laughing at those who only carry two?

I'm not trying to pick on you here, but I find these types of attitudes are prevalent in the firearms world. I've been in classes where the instructors and students ridiculed anyone that didn't carry a 1911. Same for Glocks. Same for those who choose not to carry a BUG, or those who ONLY carry a bug. Some will look at disdain at gunnies that choose to dress like normal people, instead of urban commandos. Pretty soon, you have a community of people that show no respect for anyone else, unless they treat self-defense EXACTLY the same.

If you feel the need to roam around Williamson County with two firearms and 60 rounds, more power to you. Personally, I feel that is overkill and completely unnecessary. I choose to carry a single firearm and a single reload. I am more than proficient with that firearm, and I know it is extremely reliable. I also know that, if I do happen to get in a gunfight, it will probably be of short duration and a low round count. I know, from the multitude of research available, that it is highly unlikely I'd have time to reach a BUG, and I know that most deep concealment BUGs are slow to draw and dangerous to access during a confrontation. But.....I could be wrong. I could in up in the civilian version of the Miami shootout........or up against body-armored thugs carrying AKs and thousands of rounds. If that happens........well.......I'm gonna shoot my gun dry and then run my arse off. :D

I never heard anyone who was ever in a gunfight say that they wish they had brought less ammo.

how many of us have actually spoken to anyone who has been in a gunfight.

Not to single out the guy who posted this but I about can't stand internet sayings that are spoken in a post like they are first hand fact.

The only guy in this thread who is ready is Mike.

And I normally carry a .32 with 8 rounds total.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
how many of us have actually spoken to anyone who has been in a gunfight.

Not to single out the guy who posted this but I about can't stand internet sayings that are spoken in a post like they are first hand fact.

The only guy in this thread who is ready is Mike.

And I normally carry a .32 with 8 rounds total.

I have spoken to literally dozens of people, both civilians and police, who have all been in gunfights. I've used a firearm in self-defense. Not that I agree with the statement made by DaddyO, but your statement is simply not true.

I don't know Mike at all, but I think he's ready for a small war!!!

I mainly carry XD9 SC with the flush 13+1 mag and a spare 16 rounder. That's, um, 30 rounds. Seems like a lot. :)

Lately because of going to a semi-NPE, I've dropped back to Kahr PM9 in pocket with spare mag in non tactical method (holster holds extra mag). That's 6+1, plus 6 for 13. Also seems like plenty.

But I feel more comfy with the XD, just do.

- OS

But I feel more comfy with the XD, just do.

And that's the key, as statistically speaking, you'll never need to use your firearm. And if you do, statistically speaking, you'll need around three rounds.

The point is, the chances of your getting into a firefight is astronomically small for most people, and then the need for more then 3-5 rounds is astronomically smaller again - those who wish to carry BUGs and extra mags are welcome, but to act as if it's foolish to not do so when your chances of dying in a car wreck are probably 1000x (or maybe 1,000,000X) greater is, well, truly short sighted...