Ok, here is a question that I have just recently come up with

Guest archerdr1

Guest archerdr1

My family and I are looking to go to Belize as missionaries. I cannot take my guns and will be gone for probably 10 months out of the year. The two months that we are in the states we will be traveling around and I do not want to do that without taking my protection with us. I may be able to get a permit while I am in Belize to carry there, (automatic 5 years in prison for even having a live round, much less a gun) but they will not allow anything larger than a .38, and that is pushing it. It is next to impossible to get a permit to carry a .45 of which I have 2, but if I get a permit I may ship my .38 down but that is beside the point.

My question is, if I keep my church here in TN as my mailing address, can I keep my permit current so that when we come back into the states I can pick up my guns from my mother in law and carry while we are here? Any takers?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, if I keep my church here in TN as my mailing address, can I keep my permit current so that when we come back into the states I can pick up my guns from my mother in law and carry while we are here? Any takers?

Does your TN permit expire during the time span you will be away?

Are you going to become a resident of another US state?

Are you going to apply for permanent residency in Belize?

If three no answers, I don't see the prob, myself.

Oh, one thing...you probably need to change your TN address with TNDOS, both for HCP and TN DL.

- OS

Guest archerdr1

My permit does not expire until 2012, I am planning on selling the house and planning to change my address to my church address which is here in TN, that way they can send my mail to us in Belize, I am only going to get a work visa, not planning to apply for permanent residency (I love my country way too much for that! I don't know how many years I am going to be down there, but will be back here EVERY NOVEMBER for more reasons than the holidays (Voting happens then!).

My permit does not expire until 2012, I am planning on selling the house and planning to change my address to my church address which is here in TN, that way they can send my mail to us in Belize, I am only going to get a work visa, not planning to apply for permanent residency (I love my country way too much for that! I don't know how many years I am going to be down there, but will be back here EVERY NOVEMBER for more reasons than the holidays (Voting happens then!).

I can't think of any statute under which a TN DL or a TN HCP would be invalidated because of an extended (and technically, off and on) stay in another country, whether that stay was for work or play. Perhaps some legal beagle will correct me, but I rather doubt it.

- OS

Guys just a heads up, from reading the law in Belize ... It appears as if you will have to be a citizen or permanent resident to get a license for a firearm there... And even with the permit to own, you'll have a very hard time importing a firearm from the US (and have to pay high import taxes if you do).

BTW, just a FYI the reason for all of this is the Obama supported CIFTA treaty which if passed here would require gun registration and permits (ownership) for all citizens as well.

Where do you plan on physically staying when you're back in the country? Is there a bedrooms at the church or do you plan on staying with your mother in law? It probably is illegal to use the church address as your residence if you're not physically staying there in some way shape or form. Maybe your mother in laws address would be a better choice?

Guest Pig957
JayC is correct on the laws of Belize. I was thinking of retiring down there (cheap cost of living) until I read the gun laws. As far as travel within the US, you might want to get a Utah nonresident permit. I believe it will cover you in most states.
Guest archerdr1

Have not decided on where we will be staying when we come back. We may get a 5th wheel and park in the church parking lot. Most of the time back though we will be traveling around. I have not looked too much into the whole gun thing in Belize, right now that is just a thought.

Based on what Jayc looked up and I was thinking if you to get a permit down there to have and carry. It might be cheaper to buy a gun down there instead of exporting yours and later re importing it. All the problems of taking your going out of country and back in might be to much.

I probably would not risk it, it might be cheaper/easier to buy a 38 down there, assuming you are able to get the correct permits.

Have not decided on where we will be staying when we come back. We may get a 5th wheel and park in the church parking lot. Most of the time back though we will be traveling around. I have not looked too much into the whole gun thing in Belize, right now that is just a thought.

I'd call TDOS explain to them what you're planning on doing, and ask them where you residence would be in that case... I'd ask for an opinion letter in writing from the Department and then not worry about it. Most likely it's going to be the church or your mother-in-laws house.

As far as travel within the US, you might want to get a Utah nonresident permit....

TN resident permit covers you in more states than UT non-resident.

A UT non-resident would give you one state that the TN permit doesn't (WA).

- OS

Based on what Jayc looked up and I was thinking if you to get a permit down there to have and carry. It might be cheaper to buy a gun down there instead of exporting yours and later re importing it. All the problems of taking your going out of country and back in might be to much.

I probably would not risk it, it might be cheaper/easier to buy a 38 down there, assuming you are able to get the correct permits.

I might have missed it, but it appears you can get a permit to own a pistol, but not one to carry... I did some research looking to retire down that way, and found that SA and gun rights don't seem to mix. For SURE there is no such thing as shall issue permits for ownership let alone for carry down there...

As bad as we think the gun laws are here, they're worse (because of the American backed and funded CIFTA treaty).