between a rock and a hard place

Guest archerdr1

Guest archerdr1

So, here is my issue. There is a guy from my church in East Ridge running for Mayor. He serves currently on the city council. He told me during the "guns in parks" debate that he planned on voting down the resolution to ban guns, but then did. He is having a campaign kick-off on Saturday at Wally's at 9am. Says come and ask questions. My questions are as follows,

1. "During the guns in parks debate you voted to ban guns and the city passed this resolution, others did not and crime has not gone up at all in those parks, but there was a dead body found in Camp Jordan park sometime after, why do you think it was a good idea to pass this resolution?"

2. "Would you, as Mayor work to changing that resolution to allow honest, law abiding citizens to protect our families in the park?"

3. "Which candidate will?"

Now, the issue. I know that he would answer the questions to the best of his political ability, but i also know that it will cause friction between myself and another member in my church. Knowing what he did in the city council meeting, I don't plan to vote for him, but he doesn't have to know how I vote. I may talk to him privately, however, I would like to hear him answer these questions in a public setting. Any suggestions?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has already shown you what you need to know as you have said and I would not worry about friction with another church member. You are voting as what you feel is best for you and IMO church and or fellow members should not enter into it. And I would not care who knew how I voted and why. Who knows, maybe you cause some others in the church to lean your way. If he back pedals on one thing what else will he do it on next.

I would like to know how he answers the question after he went against what he promised on the guns in parks deal.

Guest archerdr1

I know that a lot of other members in our church already lean my way, but most of them live in GA and can't vote anyway, as far as my voting goes, I don't plan to vote for him b/c I think that he will do the same as he did in the council meeting. The only thing that I worry about causing friction is if I personally ask the question in his Q&A. I have to see this guy every week (3 times a week in church, and now that I am on the nominating committee, in church meetings too!). There will be a lot of ppl from my church there that will support him (he is a deacon). It comes down there to the whole discord among the brethren, calling him out in a crowd may sow a little of that and I don't want to do that.

The rulling class at all levels need to be acountable. We need to ask the tough questions and demand straight answers and when these clowns avoid straight answers the question need to be asked again. I like questions that have a yes or no answer. Doing what is right is sometimes not popular.

oldogy

The rulling class at all levels need to be acountable. We need to ask the tough questions and demand straight answers and when these clowns avoid straight answers the question need to be asked again. I like questions that have a yes or no answer. Doing what is right is sometimes not popular.

oldogy

+1

Glenn

Guest archerdr1

I plan on asking him, just wondering mainly if it would be more, I guess, classy to ask him person to person, or call him out in front of everyone. that is mainly what I am fighting in my mind about. On one hand, I don't want to call him out in front of his friends and family especially since I know him and his family. On the other hand, If he gives an answer to me, it is my word against his and if I ask him in a public setting, there is a restaurant full of witnesses and in a small town it can be harder to go back on your word without consequences. Fighting with the whole "Wise as serpents and harmless as doves" thing. Probably the whole personal relationship thing is getting in my way. If I am able to go to his thing, I will probably ask it, if I get the chance. if not, I will probably just ask him one on one.

I plan on asking him, just wondering mainly if it would be more, I guess, classy to ask him person to person, or call him out in front of everyone. that is mainly what I am fighting in my mind about. On one hand, I don't want to call him out in front of his friends and family especially since I know him and his family. On the other hand, If he gives an answer to me, it is my word against his and if I ask him in a public setting, there is a restaurant full of witnesses and in a small town it can be harder to go back on your word without consequences. Fighting with the whole "Wise as serpents and harmless as doves" thing. Probably the whole personal relationship thing is getting in my way. If I am able to go to his thing, I will probably ask it, if I get the chance. if not, I will probably just ask him one on one.

You already know the answer... what good will it do to ask him privately? The entire point to ask publicly is to put him on the spot forcing him to answer the question or loose votes.

Guest drv2fst

Have this conversation person to person so he does not feel "set up". It is important to let him know how you feel about issues. He is in politics so he will try to appease you in any way he can whatever his true intentions are. If this conversation is up front and direct, I doubt it will cause significant friction. If you call him out in front of others, he will resent it and bite back any way he can either publicly or privately.

A well conducted conversation may stand a chance of correcting his position. An ambush will dig in his heels and rally opposition to your views.

oldogy

What he said.

Guest archerdr1
Have this conversation person to person so he does not feel "set up". It is important to let him know how you feel about issues. He is in politics so he will try to appease you in any way he can whatever his true intentions are. If this conversation is up front and direct, I doubt it will cause significant friction. If you call him out in front of others, he will resent it and bite back any way he can either publicly or privately.

A well conducted conversation may stand a chance of correcting his position. An ambush will dig in his heels and rally opposition to your views.

that was kinda my feelings on it, just wanted to get some other's thoughts on it

Guest strelcevina
I know that a lot of other members in our church already lean my way, but most of them live in GA and can't vote anyway, as far as my voting goes, I don't plan to vote for him b/c I think that he will do the same as he did in the council meeting. The only thing that I worry about causing friction is if I personally ask the question in his Q&A. I have to see this guy every week (3 times a week in church, and now that I am on the nominating committee, in church meetings too!). There will be a lot of ppl from my church there that will support him (he is a deacon). It comes down there to the whole discord among the brethren, calling him out in a crowd may sow a little of that and I don't want to do that.

Just do it . Ask what you wanted to ask , and members of your church will definitely understand your side and respect your opinion .

Just take me for example, everybody is so nice and respectfully for my opinions .

Guest Glock23ForMe
If this person is going to hold a public office, then he needs to be questioned in public.

Agree 100%

The tough questions are the ones the weak people won't ask.

I would at least let him know your intentions privately since there is a relationship. I would then ask your questions publicly being clear that it is not personal. Sometimes we forget that we should be able to separate our political positions with our personal relationships. If he can't he has no business in politics.

Guest RevScottie

Its a matter of public record that he changed his mind so simply ask him what circumstances came into play that caused the change and ask him would he still vote the same way today. People including politicians do sometimes change their minds for good reason so give him a chance to explain. Also everyone who is questioning this politicians ethics just remenber that if he had been for the ban and changed his mind and voted against it you wouldn't question him.

Guest archerdr1
So, he is a Deacon in the church. How can he hold that position while being dishonest (lying)?

have wondered this myself. So, for an update, After all of this, I had some issues when I got home on Saturday and was unable to attend. I will probably just ask him when I see him next. If there is another chance to have a q&a forum, I will definitely ask it in public too.