Field & Stream Picks the 25 Best Handguns for Hunters

Guest oldsmobile98

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd read that at the time. Some good choices but I thought it absurd that they had that many .22's on the list but no mention of an X-Frame in either .500 or .460. That's completely nonsensical to me. At least they listed the BFR which is available in those calibers.

Does S&W even have something that could handle a .454 other than the X-Frame? Not that there's anything wrong with that but many might consider that platform pretty heavy for the .454.

I'd read that at the time. Some good choices but I thought it absurd that they had that many .22's on the list but no mention of an X-Frame in either .500 or .460. That's completely nonsensical to me. At least they listed the BFR which is available in those calibers.

Does S&W even have something that could handle a .454 other than the X-Frame? Not that there's anything wrong with that but many might consider that platform pretty heavy for the .454.

I'd agree with that statement. 22 has many good purposes, but a couple of them could have been dropped for some other choices.

I have rarely used a pistol for hunting as a primary weapon. I have had several I had and liked including a Bowen 454 Casull based on a Redhawk. I always carry a hunting worthy revolver when I hunt anything that could put a hurt on me or anytime I am hunting in an area where there is something that could put a hurt on me.

Edited by Warbird

Pretty good list....Agree with the picks on the .22. It would be hard to quantify how many multiples it is used over any other caliber.

Feeling a little carmudgeony right now - So here I go

Heck....last X-frame revolver I ran across was heavier and more cumbersome than some deer rifles I have carried. Certainly less versatile, less practical, and a lot less accurate. Aside from the Judge and BFR...it is about the dumbest thing sold in the pistol market right now. Sorry for you folks that spent $900 to figure that out.

Guest buttonhook

I agree that they could have dropped some of those .22lr but if I had to take only one gun into the woods it might very well be a .22lr or 22 mag Rifle but a pistol would be good too. I mean I can carry alot of ammo (light weight) most are accurate. They WILL kill a deer or anything else if needed (w/ proper shot placement) and they are always better than a rock or sharp stick.

I will tell you if I was in a position where I needed something to eat or die the odds of me seeing a small game to eat are much greater than seeing large game. Besides how many times have you been deer hunting and all you see/hear are those crazy squirrels!!!!!! many a time setting in the tree stand I've wished for a suppressed P22 (ive now got 3 p22's :) ) just to shut up those SQUIRRELS!!!

Edited by buttonhook
Guest oldsmobile98
I looked at the full list and it gives me a hint why I no longer get any of the "outdoor" or gunzines.

Even "Rifle" and "Handloader" have deteriorated.

Which handguns do you think should be taken off the list, and what handguns would you replace them with?

Pretty good list....Agree with the picks on the .22. It would be hard to quantify how many multiples it is used over any other caliber.

Feeling a little carmudgeony right now - So here I go

Heck....last X-frame revolver I ran across was heavier and more cumbersome than some deer rifles I have carried. Certainly less versatile, less practical, and a lot less accurate. Aside from the Judge and BFR...it is about the dumbest thing sold in the pistol market right now. Sorry for you folks that spent $900 to figure that out.

While I can certainly concede that the X-Frame and it's cartridges (.460 & .500) are somewhat niche in application it doesn't mean they aren't pretty good in that niche. I mean, if a completely proprietary round like the .500 Wyoming Express in a full-on custom pistol made that list it's not exactly out of bounds to say an X-Frame .500 S&W wouldn't actually be easier and cheaper to obtain and shoot, right? As for X-Frame vs rifle I have yet to come across a 4.5lb rifle I can wear across my chest in a bandoleer holster. I understand your gist, and to an extent agree with it, but mayhap your curmudgeoness may have segued into a bit of hyperbole? As an aside my .500 is very likely the most accurate pistol I own.

If your argument is the monster pistols (BFR/X-Frames/etc) are somewhat lacking in overall practicality I agree. Frankly they're more than most people can shoot accurately anyway. However, for those that can shoot them well they do exactly what they're intended to do and do it very well.

Yeah...I was just ribbing about the x-frame because it is so cartoonishly large. They are simply too much gun for most people and the only ones I see are for giggles at the range....they certainly have their niche in the hunting world and they shoot really well for what they are.

For this side of the Mississippi I have pretty much settled on the .44 mag super blackhawk on the largest practical pistols one really needs.

Yeah...I was just ribbing about the x-frame because it is so cartoonishly large. They are simply too much gun for most people and the only ones I see are for giggles at the range....they certainly have their niche in the hunting world and they shoot really well for what they are.

For this side of the Mississippi I have pretty much settled on the .44 mag super blackhawk on the largest practical pistols one really needs.

And a fine choice it is! (Though my .44 is a Redhawk)