Holster Choice

Guest mds3d

Ok guys. I am looking for a holster for my Walther PK380, and I wanted some opinions.

I am looking for an IWB, preferably one that is "tuckable"

This combination would seem to fit my carry needs the best.

So far I am leaning toward the Desantis Tuck This II. I have heard some bad things about it, but also some good things. I have a friend that wears his from sunup to sundown every day and loves it, but I have also read that many people have had problems with it.

So what do you guys think of this particular holster, and does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the thing that is making this hard is that Leather does not agree with my skin for any real length of time and I dont necessarily want to have to worry about constantly protecting myself from my holster.

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I own a KHolster, DM Bullard Dual Carry (all leather), and just recently got a Comp-Tac MTAC.

Of all those, I think the Dual Carry is the best quality and I like that it's all leather. The negatives of that are it's thicker than the others and harder to re-holster in an intense situation.

My favorite of these 3 is the MTAC, it's fit and finish is great, the customer service was great, and I like how they put a small piece of leather on the back of the holster to cover the snaps so it's comfortable with our without a shirt behind it. It's not too thick, and disappears once you put it on.

Another one I'd recommend is the Crossbreed. I don't own one but tested one from a member here and really liked it.

I really love my Crossbreed Supertuck and my Kholsters. The Supertuck is nicer looking with a better finish, and a little lighter because it has less leather, but the Kholster is much more depth and cant adjustable and you can always cut the leather to your liking after you get it.

Hey Guys, thanks for all of the info. I have looked at all of the suggestions and hopefully can make a decision. Seems like its a lot of personal preference.

On another note, in talking with a coworker, he swears by High Noon holsters. He has 5 or 6 of them. Has anyone bought this brand. I am looking at the Alter Ego or or Hidden Ally.

I think for the most part they make a decent holster. It is just a personal preference, but I do not at all like a holster with only one retention clip and I don't like a holster with zero cant. Again that is just personal preference.

I like all leather holsters. There are numerous great choices, such as Milt Sparks, DM Bullard, Mitch Rosen. One of the best deals out there is Occidental Leather holsters, which are designed and manufactured under the guidance of Tim Thurner, TT Gun Leather. They have a wonderful holster, with very fast turnaround times because they are a large leather company who specializes in rugged leather tool belts. They are also very reasonable.

I have Kholster and think it is OK. I must say I absolutely love my Crossbreed Supertuck. It is as good as my best leather holsters and at a fraction of the cost. It certainly isn't as pretty, but so what. It works and works well. If you get the CB, I recommend getting the combat cut.

Edited by Warbird
I think for the most part they make a decent holster. It is just a personal preference, but I do not at all like a holster with only one retention clip and I don't like a holster with zero cant. Again that is just personal preference.

(High Noon Holsters) I once tried the Softy for Ruger revolver. There just wasn't "enough holster" there to securely hold it, gun rode very high in it, didn't feel secure, sent it back.

They do make several with double leather loops, but the loops are already on the thickest part of rig, not off on side panels, and I never recommend that style. Their prices have gone up a bunch in last couple years, so most folks must like their products, though.

One of the best deals out there is Occidental Leather holsters, which are designed and manufactured under the guidance of Tim Thurner, TT Gun Leather. They have a wonderful holster, with very fast turnaround times because they are a large leather company who specializes in rugged leather tool belts. They are also very reasonable.

That's news, far out. I have TT Gunleather (avatar) and it's absolutely top drawer. But it took 6 months.

This Occidental, though, "reasonable"? I just did a look and only comparable model I see to mine is the "Phoenix"

1337.jpg

But it's $145. My TT was like $90.

Maybe I'm not finding the right sites for the products?

This from: Stronghold® Phoenix - Black Leather IWB Holster

- OS

edit: Hmmm,I see Tim has put them on TT Gunleather site now too.

This looks similar, calls it the Stronghold, it's convertible IWB/Belt.

DSC04820.jpg

It's $120. But does say it ships no later than 7-10 days.

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i84.html

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
(High Noon Holsters) I once tried the Softy for Ruger revolver. There just wasn't "enough holster" there to securely hold it, gun rode very high in it, didn't feel secure, sent it back.

They do make several with double leather loops, but the loops are already on the thickest part of rig, not off on side panels, and I never recommend that style. Their prices have gone up a bunch in last couple years, so most folks must like their products, though.

That's news, far out. I have TT Gunleather (avatar) and it's absolutely top drawer. But it took 6 months.

This Occidental, though, "reasonable"? I just did a look and only comparable model I see to mine is the "Phoenix"

1337.jpg

But it's $145. My TT was like $90.

Maybe I'm not finding the right sites for the products?

This from: Stronghold® Phoenix - Black Leather IWB Holster

- OS

OS I don't think the TT is 90 anymore either. It certainly is not inexpensive, but is less than Sparks and a number of others. The Phoenix is what I have for my HK45C. It is a great holster. However I got it very fast, under 2 weeks and left handed. So I paid somewhat of a premium for a holster I could order something similar and wait for less I imagine. This holster is absolutely top quality.

I have noticed you can often find them for much less on ebay specials they run, particularly for certain guns. Unfortunately for me these are never left handed.

Edited by Warbird
OS I don't think the TT is 90 anymore either. It certainly is not inexpensive, but is less than Sparks and a number of others. ---.

Well, it's $95 now for my same one, but I certainly agree, that 120 or 140 for a quality gun specific boned leather holster is not outrageous in the least, ESPECIALLY if you can get it in a week or so.

I shouldn't have even questioned it, guess I was thinking from a first time carrier's point of view, and I officially retract that comment, I did not have sex with that woman. :)

Certainly, first time carriers usually have sticker shock but usually come around after they've thrown away at least that amount on their "box o' holsters" that didn't fit the bill.

- OS

OS the Stronghold is the one I have. It is my understanding Tim has some sort of family ownership in the leather company. He spent considerable time training several employees to make these holsters as his demand exceeded what he could produce by himself. So he utilizes the leather crafters at the leather company to make these holsters under another name. He still makes his own as well for people who want to wait.

After I bought my first Milt Sparks I think the sticker shock part was over for me :) The holster in your avatar looks nearly identical to mine. When I looked at a friend's TT there are small difference, but nothing major. The quality is as good as TT. As you said though for those who don't care to wait, the TT had be had for less. I just didn't have the time to wait.

If I was just getting into this carry business and didn't want to spend a lot, I couldn't recommend a better holster than the Crossbreed. I never thought I would say that about anything with Kydex, but I really do like mine a lot. And that is the only Kydex hybrid so far I have really been taken with.

... The holster in your avatar looks nearly identical to mine. When I looked at a friend's TT there are small difference, but nothing major...

Thanks for the info on TT and Occidental .. sounds like effective system on his part.

Mine is the "Slim IWB Mike's Special"

Petty much same as his other stuff, just no reinforced band or trim, wanted it as thin as possible.

Matter of fact, he's using my picture onsite for it - he didn't have one shown for that model, so I sent it to him. :)

I never thought I would say that about anything with Kydex, but I really do like mine a lot. And that is the only Kydex hybrid so far I have really been taken with.

Well, I'm not a snob about it, as I DO use Kydex pocket holster for my Kahr. I've been regularly going to a semi NPE for awhile, so I've been carrying the Kahr more lately, and though I love leather, in a pocket, thinnest is bestest IMO.

- OS