Remington 597 or Marlin Model 60

Guest 435

I am looking for a SHTF plinker, food finder, and tactical .22

I have had a Marlin model 60. Great guns. I recently looked at a Remington 597. Here is what I think:

The Marlin is reliable first hand. It holds 15 rounds.

The Remington is clip fed and hold 10 rounds. I do not know about the reliability.

What I was thinking is the remington only holds 10 rounds, but in a need be situation, I could have more mags ready on the go. The Marlin takes a while to reload down the tube.

I, having weighed the odds, would go with the Remington for the simple reason of backup mags if I knew it were reliable.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BRad704

the stock 10rd Rem mag only sticks out about 1/2" at most... you can get 25's and 30's for them also.

If you get a brand new 597, go look at rimfirecentral for their tips on what to stone, what to check, what to clean it with, etc... I am waiting to sell a gun to buy a 597 and it does have some jamming issues RIGHT out of the box, but within 20 minutes of opening the box, you should be good...

My decision was 60 vs, 597 vs, 10/22 and I am going with the 597 for the removable mag, and FAR less trouble to get a sub-moa gun.

look at the Marlin 795. It is a mag fed Mod 60. I got one last month at dick's for $152 OTD, plus there is a $25 rebate. The 795 is as accurate and reliable as a mod 60. The only negative is some of the 3/8 dovetails on the current production 795s are a little off. if you buy one look at the dovetail.

I vote for the 60. great little guns, accurate, and reliable. BTW, arrows cut to length and sealed at one end with a cotter pin at the "feed" end make great speedloaders for the 60 :bowrofl:.

I am looking for a SHTF plinker, food finder, and tactical .22

Didn't notice that before I posted. Personally I think "tactical" and ".22lr" should never be used in the same sentence. IF the S ever did HTF I would not be grabbing a .22 rimfire. I would however grab the AR15, a .45 and maybe throw a .22lr pistol in the BOB for food harvesting. And ideally that would be a revolver.

Guest Aces&8s

I have a Remi 597 also, and it is a great little gun for the money. Trigger is a little stiff, but not horrible. I floated the barrel, and filled in the open spaces in the fore-end with JB Weld, which really helped add some rigidity to the stock. While it will shoot any ammo, it does like certain rounds better than others, with CCI Stingers and Remington golden bullets at the top of the list, and Winchester bulk and Remington Thunderduds, er, I mean Thunderbolts at the bottom.

This is a target from my last outing, 10 rounds at 100 yards with Golden Bullets:

remi597_002.jpg

If you do go with a 597, do not waste the money on the bull barrel. A lot of the comments on RFC tend to indicate that the standard barrel is as accurate as the heavy version.

I have had a bucket load of .22LR rifles and still do. My No. 1 recommendation is the Marlin 795 mag fed. Marlin Model 60s are good enough also. However, two things I hold against the Mdl 60 vs the 795. One after market .22 barrel maker I have dealt with told me that the 795 stays cleaner than the 60. I have taken folks' 60's and cleaned them for them and don't really see what the issue is, but I don't clean my Marlin Papoose (takedown version of the 795) very often. Also exposed tubes can be damaged and then you have a single shot. 597s are OK, but I still opt for the 795. You may want to look at an older Mossberg 151M. Tube through the stock, accurate, reliable and sort of cool. Picture is of Mossberg 151M with Weaver B4 mated to RA Litchert 2X magnifier. Next pic is of Marlin Papoose with Tech Sights. Those sights are the bomb. I have them on my CZ Ultra Lux also. I installed a surplus M16 trapdoor buttplate on my Papoose to store mags and takedown tool.

Mossberg151WB4wRALitchert2X.jpg

PapooseTechSight.jpg