Got a great opportunity today

Guest oldsmobile98

Guest oldsmobile98

A friend asked me if I'd show him how to clean his revolver a while back. He had inherited it from his grandmother. Today I went over to his place and got a look at it. It was an old Colt Police Positive chambered in .38 Colt New Police (.38 S&W)! This thing was in pretty good condition. Apparently it had been kept in a handkerchief in a drawer and rarely used.

Anyhow, we decided to take the sideplate off and oil the internals a bit, since the trigger return was a bit sticky. I don't know if anyone here has taken apart an old Colt, but the mechanism is really fascinating. I have looked at Kuhnhausen's manuals on the Colt DA revolvers, but it was really neat to actually take it apart in person. Getting it back together was a little tricky, but we got it done.

I told my buddy that his was made back when they went all-out on quality. No MIM parts on his gun (my S&W 620 has a MIM trigger and hammer). Also, it was cool to see a rebound lever instead of just a picture of one. This is perhaps the most complicated part on the whole gun. It allows for bolt pickup and drop, rebounds the hammer, and provides pressure against the hand. Very cool!

I want a Colt someday. :) Hopefully we will get the opportunity to shoot his soon.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.