257 Roberts

Guest Conrad

Guest Conrad

A few weeks ago i acquired a new to me Ruger M77 MKII in 257 Roberts. I would just like to hear every ones opinion on this caliber. If there is anyone who has hunted with it their input would be great. I am planning on loading mine with 115 berger vlds and reloader 17 powder.

One other interesting point about this rifle is that it is a long action rifle so should not have any seating depth trouble with the vlds. The thing is my Uncle has a 6mm Remington made by Ruger and it is a short action. IF the 6mm and 257 roberts have the same case why would they make one a short action and the other one long? Maybe someone has some ideas why?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Factory barrel on it? 257 is a great cartridge of yester' years that doesn't get the due its owed IMO. I got nothing for you on hunting with one.

Guest Conrad

Thank you it was actually my uncles he had bought for his wife but they are divorced now and he didnt want it no more so i said i would buy it i needed a good deer rifle anyway.

Guest GunTroll

I like Rugers. In my time on working with them I have found interesting things about them. #1's in particular. Seems like the factory might pull from stock piles from time to time to re-barrel some due to some demand/shortage of another caliber. Not saying this is a fact of course. Just something I pondered once when working on this particular #1.

I have three, and shoot 100 grain Sierras in them. I don't know why the 6mm would be chambered in a short action. The 257 is a fine deer cartridge, but a pretty much handloading proposition. Cases are made on a yearly run, so if you find some, stock up!

Guest Conrad

i have about 200 or 300 cases some are +p and some are not. i know that the +p ones can hold about 2 more grains of powder just need to make sure to watch what i am doing. i already have all the reloading stuff for the 257. I cant remember when the last time i bought any factory ammo for any of my rifles i just handload.

The 257 Roberts is probably one of the best all around cartridges ever for the southern US. Loaded with light bullets it makes a fine varmint round for ground hogs and coyotes. With heavier 100-120 grain loads it is a fine deer cartridge. It is just behind the 25-06 in velocity but is much easier on barrels. You do need to hand load to maximize performance and cut costs. It is considered a very efficient and classy cartridge.

Conrad and all:___________________

Here is a link giving some historical data on the 257 Roberts. It is probably the greatest of the 25 caliber wildcats.

Link here: Nazarian.

I remember when the 257 came out in the Ruger 77, along with the 7X57 Mauser round. There was great excitement in the "real rifleman" (...no bazooka calibers or weatherbys; these were guys that actually shot their rifles on a regular basis ---target or hunting....) world about the indtroduction of these old time cartridges.

When Bill Ruger was alive, Ruger did a great job of publicizing their production and mixing it up with the great old calibers. The 7 X 57 and the 257 Roberts were two of their best offerings. As I remember, they did them both in bolt action and single shot versions (...Ruger 77 and Ruger #1...).

Enjoy your Roberts, it is a great thing.

Kind regards,

Leroy