Automated License Plate Recognition

DaveTN

This leaves me to wonder how often people with HCP's will be jacked up via pretextual traffic stops. The information will plainly be there.

That gun of yours could be stolen, see?

Wow, that is a bit of a stretch. I stop people and find out they have a HCP and follow through with a regular traffic stop.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Wow, that is a bit of a stretch. I stop people and find out they have a HCP and follow through with a regular traffic stop.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. You have discretion. So do other officers. Simply because you choose not to root around doesn't mean others won't.

From my understanding as far as the system here in Memphis works. It automatically scans plates then searches thru a database for a name and address that its registered to. Then it cross checks to see if anyone by that name and/or anyone associated with that address has warrants and if so issues an alert.

From my understanding as far as the system here in Memphis works. It automatically scans plates then searches thru a database for a name and address that its registered to. Then it cross checks to see if anyone by that name and/or anyone associated with that address has warrants and if so issues an alert.

Well, and the obvious registration issues that may arise with the tag query (expired tags, stolen, etc.).

Why do gun owners feel like the Police are out to get them? I mean Jesus Christ..... the only guns we ever take are from gang bangers.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. You have discretion. So do other officers. Simply because you choose not to root around doesn't mean others won't.

And I certainly don't believe an Officer would target a vehicle because the owner is a valid HCP holder.

Why do gun owners feel like the Police are out to get them? I mean Jesus Christ..... the only guns we ever take are from gang bangers.

And I certainly don't believe an Officer would target a vehicle because the owner is a valid HCP holder.

Keeping in mind that I was once a LEO who left the department because I got tired of the politics/corruption...perhaps it's because SOME police officers think that only they should have guns? I'm not saying you nor anyone you may work with does this, but there are some who have reported special problems with officers once the officer found out that they had an HCP and were carrying. Some have reported difficulty in getting their weapon back after it was seized unlawfully.

Just as police treat law-abiding citizens based on the way the police treat the 10% of the people they typically deal with, so does the law-abiding citizen judge the good police based on the 10% that are bad police officers. Human nature: people remember the bad.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Clarity
Guest Sgt. Joe

If all we are going to do is condemn every piece of new technology because of the potential of abuse maybe we all should just throw these computers in the trash and move on without them in our lives.

I cant off hand think of any NEW crimes that have been committed because of a computer but they sure have made a lot of them a whole lot easier and faster to accomplish and on a much larger scale. They also give someone the ability to track our every keystroke and therefore be all in our business without us ever knowing it until it was too late.

And if we are going to talk of an LEO going out of their way to harass someone, that has been going on since the first LEA was created. They dont need no fancy technology to do it if that is what they are determined to do.

Beyond the obvious tag related stuff as KB says, The best thing I see this device doing is making it much easier to grab up those with outstanding warrants, MUCH easier. It would take an LEO hours to run all the tags at a Wally World the way they are done now, with this device one drive thru that only takes a few minutes could very well lead to grabbing up more of them and I am sure that it will, just like the stolen vehicle that was found in the Vid. There is no way an LEO would have ever ran all those tags to find that vehicle manually and there are simply too many stolen vehicles out there to keep a list of all of them on the dash.

I would bet that there is at least one BOLO out right now for every make model and color of vehicle available in this country today, other than maybe some antique and custom cars of which there are only a few total.

This device will find tons of stolen cars and plates. And even with the thing the officer even on a slow cruise isnt going to have time to make sure every tag matches every vehicle. If the tag is not reported stolen then it could well be registered to a green Ford and be on a red Chevy and the officer is gong to have to paying very close attention to catch it. If it dont BEEP he is most likely not going to stop nor have time to look at each and every car.

Personally if I was an LEO and that darn clicking noise could not be turned OFF I would have to find another job because that noise alone would drive me nuts.

And just think of all the bangers that could be grabbed up by just rolling thru the "clubs" parking lots on Friday nights. And I am not talking so much about parking ticket type warrants but the more serious and dangerous types that currently can avoid detection far too easily.

I just dont see the device making any kind of abuse of power really any easier, if someone is going to "abuse" they can do it without the device.

I will concede that if you have a super duper anti civilian gun LEO the device could make it easier for that person to mess with gun owners, but you got to figure that person is already doing what they can in those regards anyway.

Again the positives of the thing far outweigh the potential abuse of it. IMHO

Hmm, this thread has taken an interesting turn.

I'm not in any way concerned about LEO use of this technology. What does worry me is the ability to use this data to to compile yet another databse of info about individuals. Right now the one thing we have going for us is that FedGov is still incompetent about sharing and compiling all the data they accumulate. What worries me is that sooner than later some bright guy will manage to actually interface all the various acquired info. When that happens everything we do, everywhere we go, all our spending, all our bad habits, everything...will be available to those within our government whose job it is to make sure we are good and productive citizens. Whatever that means.

Really, I'm not so much paranoid as cautionary. Modern life with this many billions of people on the planet will only get more restrictive. :up:

Not true. Plenty of law-abiding citizens have been disarmed during traffic stops by police.

We'll find out, I guess.

There are people that are alive today because their cars called for help when they were in an accident and unable to call for themselves. I remember when the tinfoil hats didn’t like that because it could be used to track vehicles.

and I still dont like OnStar, I will NEVER own a vehicle with even its hardware ever installed on it.

Haha, ok man. We're all out to get you!!

Haha! Yeah, man!

Haha!

Where did I say you were all out to get us, man?

Yeah!

Haha!

As knowledge itself is power, the less information the government has about me, the better. I'm just conservative that way.