AUG/STG Brass Buster

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

Last week at the range was shooting the STG 556, and onemancoyote pointed out that the rifle was ejecting brass right forcefully. This was with fairly weak Wally World Federal value pak and the gas adjustment on the 'S' weak position.

He pointed out one cartridge that had lodged itself almost to the shoulder, sticking out of a pine board at the back of the shooting shelter behind me. Pretty impressive, but maybe that would hurt if it hit a bystander in a soft spot.

Did some web searching and it seems that AUGs and STGs all tend to eject rather forcefully, and often nearly straight to the back. So there doesn't seem to be anything mechanically broken with my STG ejecting forcefully.

Found a fairly new aftermarket brass deflector for these rifles. Ordered one today. Looks useful. Manticore Arms Brass Buster.

The Manticore Arms website takes credit cards, but processes them thru paypal. I don't like paypal, but ratworxusa.com is a stocking dealer so bought it there. Maybe ratworx uses paypal for card processing too, though. Dunno. Minor trivia.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
Does the brass hit you?

Ive been hit with a lot of stuff at the range. Empty brass has always been pretty low on the list of hazards.

Hi Mike

No, so far never been hit by the brass, but I figgered if the brass can eject forcefully enough to stick into a pine board like a throwing dart, it might be the neighborly thing to do for range bystanders sake. B)

The other advantage is being able to shoot weak side without getting hot brass up the nose. Most all the bullpups (except the front-eject models like Keltec RFB) eject so close to the face that weak side shooting ain't advised. My STG is setup left-handed, so any right-hander couldn't try it out without brass in the face.

Edited by Lester Weevils
Does the brass hit you?

Ive been hit with a lot of stuff at the range. Empty brass has always been pretty low on the list of hazards.

99% of the reason for the BB is for weak side shooting. If you have shot one of the AUG/STG bullpups you will quickly learn that weak side shooting puts your nose at the back of the ejection port. Some who really get up on their guns can actually put their face over the ejection port. IMO they are indeed ugly on this rifle. Utilitarian, but ugly. Any other benefits are a bonus.

Guest Lester Weevils

Mine came Monday, seems well made and fits the rifle. RatWorx had great service. Web-order late Friday, shipped Saturday, arrived USPS Priority the next Monday. Surprisingly fast from RatWorx and also the post office.

The part is not so tight that it was troublesome to attach, but it seems to grab tight enough that it would stay in position under ordinary circumstances.

I don't think it looks excessively ugly, but after all it is another piece of plastic on a plastic rifle. Different strokes.

Will report after I get a chance to test.