Tell me I am not crazy!

Guest 435

Recently I decided to give up the semi auto's (the Autos I dont really have :devil: ,

And go back to a more "game like manner".

I want to deer hunt, bird hunt, and hunt whatever, with a single shot, open sight 12g single shot.

Now, I have heard the "that could be inhumane, you could wing them, knick them, wound them, etc;". "You need to have a second shot capabilty to take them down in case." (PS, I have honed down to a sub 2 second reload)

Tell me how many times you have got off more than one shot at a duck, deer, or other game.

I have been spending the last year honing my skill with the single shot, slugs, bird shot, etc.

I feel that I should have one opportunity. If the game "outgames" me, then they live.

Does this make me inhumane?

A 12g slug placed right will take any game. Plus, my land permits no shot longer than 60 yards.

How am I more inhumane than a pump, semi, or auto hunter?

On top of this all, I eat ABSOLUTELY every thing I take!!!!!!!! No questions.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't sweat it. It takes me at least 5 seconds to re-nock an arrow to my longbow & no less than 30 seconds to reload my .54 frontstuffer :devil:

To be honest, no matter what you choose to shoot at game with, you run the risk of missing, winging or wounding an animal. To be brutally blunt, it's part of it & no matter how hard you try, or how long you hunt, it WILL happen & when it does, no matter what weapon you've got, the chances of a second 'instant' shot are slim to none. The best you can hope for is that the animal runs & stops within range to give you a second chance. More likely however, you'll have to track the animal & hope to dispatch it as quickly as possible. 99% of deer, if wounded, will run until tired & then bed down. Your absolute best bet for a coup-de-grás is to stalk them while they're bedded. Don't rush to it either. If you do wound an animal, give it at least 30 minutes (personally I try & hold off for 2-4 hours) to bed. It's happened to me twice & it's a sickening feeling that you can't even begin to understand until you've experienced it, but you must go against every instinct in you to chase the animal as quickly as possible. If it knows it's being chased, the adrenaline will keep pumping keeping the animal running & make the job a whole hell of a lot harder, if not impossible.

Edited by robtattoo
Don't sweat it. It takes me at least 5 seconds to re-nock an arrow to my longbow & no less than 30 seconds to reload my .54 frontstuffer :devil:

To be honest, no matter what you choose to shoot at game with, you run the risk of missing, winging or wounding an animal. To be brutally blunt, it's part of it & no matter how hard you try, or how long you hunt, it WILL happen & when it does, no matter what weapon you've got, the chances of a second 'instant' shot are slim to none. The best you can hope for is that the animal runs & stops within range to give you a second chance. More likely however, you'll have to track the animal & hope to dispatch it as quickly as possible. 99% of deer, if wounded, will run until tired & then bed down. Your absolute best bet for a coup-de-grás is to stalk them while they're bedded. Don't rush to it either. If you do wound an animal, give it at least 30 minutes (personally I try & hold off for 2-4 hours) to bed. It's happened to me twice & it's a sickening feeling that you can't even begin to understand until you've experienced it, but you must go against every instinct in you to chase the animal as quickly as possible. If it knows it's being chased, the adrenaline will keep pumping keeping the animal running & make the job a whole hell of a lot harder, if not impossible.

Thanks RobTattoo. I have guys telling me I am cruel to hunt with a single shot. I have preached to them the days of old with one arrow, a poison dart, a buffalo tendon slingshot and a rock!. They can't understand. I think it makes a better hunter when you understand you have one shot. I will teach my son, 3yr old, with a single shot .22, .410, and so on. You learn to place the shot, and the rest will follow. I would hate to know all hunters went around banking that 1 out of their 5 shots would hit!

There are thousands of Ruger #1 and other similar single shot rifles in the field hunting every year. I think it is more inhumane to carry a semi auto and not concentrate on your first shot because you plan to sling 3 or 4 shots down range to compensate for piss-poor skill.

Hunt with your single shot and enjoy your time afield. I do almost all of my hunting with a flintlock rifle....I hear alot of stuff about that too. The best one I heard from a friend of mine concerns hunting wild boar with my flintlock rifle, "better drop him with your first shot Dave, if you don't, that hog will stomp your %$^& 2 or 3 times in the week it will take you to reload that thing"....

It takes me a while to reload a muzzleloader, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying muzzleloader season. I sometimes hunt with a single shot as well. If you hit what you are aiming at, the second shot isn't very helpful. You might want to rethink the people you hang around.

Guest GunTroll

I want bullets that I can change course during mid flight to kill animals. Technology is my friend! JK. Nothing wrong with your purist style hunting if its by your own choosing. Your not crazy.

I did however get into a debate with a guy back in CO over something like this. Before my first big game season rolled around I was learning the regs of CO and came across the muzzle loader season regs. No sabot projectiles. No scope. No CVA Electra. I asked the guy....."what kind of tree hugging libs do you folks have down in the DOW office" He replied all huffy..." I'll have you know thats the hard work trough lobbing of (some org he belongs to) to make muzzle loader season primitive to the core." (Turns out he was a lib by the way.) I have a problem with this! Regs are killing hunting or chocking out future hunters. I don't tell people how they should hunt so why should other people tell me how I should? I understand regs are needed within limitations. You should have the option to hunt with glass and sabots. Even CVA's Electra if you want. I told the guy" You know whats gonna happen.....your gonna die and the next generation of hunters will not pick up muzzle loading because of the restrictions your putting in place today. The future generations will simply just wait for rifle season to enjoy hunting instead of taking advantage of ML season". This is my opinion on the matter.

Edited by GunTroll
I want bullets that I can change course during mid flight to kill animals. Technology is my friend! JK. Nothing wrong with your purist style hunting if its by your own choosing. Your not crazy.

I did however get into a debate with a guy back in CO over something like this. Before my first big game season rolled around I was learning the regs of CO and came across the muzzle loader season regs. No sabot projectiles. No scope. No CVA Electra. I asked the guy....."what kind of tree hugging libs do you folks have down in the DOW office" He replied all huffy..." I'll have you know thats the hard work trough lobbing of (some org he belongs to) to make muzzle loader season primitive to the core." (Turns out he was a lib by the way.) I have a problem with this! Regs are killing hunting or chocking out future hunters. I don't tell people how they should hunt so why should other people tell me how I should? I understand regs are needed within limitations. You should have the option to hunt with glass and sabots. Even CVA's Electra if you want. I told the guy" You know whats gonna happen.....your gonna die and the next generation of hunters will not pick up muzzle loading because of the restrictions your putting in place today. The future generations will simply just wait for rifle season to enjoy hunting instead of taking advantage of ML season". This is my opinion on the matter.

X2

As long as a muzzleloader loads from the front then it should be legal. Then again I hunt with a Savage 10ml-II with smokeless powder but still.... only one shot

Thanks for all the response!

I feel that I, in the field, should be the same as when I was in the Army. You make the first shot count. You do not count on the second shot or more. Your life, or livelihood depends on one shot, one kill! If you do your job, there is no need for a second shot.

Guest Letereat!

:D think it is ridiculous that anyone would ever say it is inhumane to hunt with a single shot bolt action, shotgun or Muzzleloader. In my opinion that statement in and of itself is a sign of mental retardation,:D and a disregard for the art history and science in the development of the firearm. It also implies that you are some newb and couldn’t hit **** even if you wanted to.

Has everyone forgot that Semi auto firearms have been in use for less than 80 years? They only became widely distributed and used in the late 30 early 40s........ Anybody remember WWII?? The term Assault rifle was conceived by none other than the Furor himself in reference to the Stg. 44 and its ability to wax the Ruskie Bolsheviks ass and rein death and destruction down on their commie asses. .........rabbit trail sorry, its the brews.

Hunting with single shot is the bomb digity true test of skill shiznizzel sign of a true sportsman in the truest since of the word.:up::rock:One shot one kill...get it right the first time or you don’t eat tonight or the rest of the week very possibly. A lost art that is ill respected and forgotten blah blah blah who the hell does this guy think he is, ok ill shut up.

Make it so number one... that’s what I say.... single shot kicks ass!!!!

Edited by Letereat!

If they want to go primitive then they need to get a darn stick and sharpen it.

If they want, they can use rocks. I've not got a problem in using modern muzzleloaders and sabots. I've used them a lot. When I started in muzzleloading, I used a Thompson New Englander .50 with no scope and Maxi-Balls. That was because there was no inlines yet. I think Daniel Boone would have used inlines and sabots.

Edited by roverboy