browning bps or benelli nova

SKINDOG

I'm looking for a new 12 gauge shotgun to purchase at the beginning of september and right now I cant decide between the browning bps and the benelli nova. I love the fact that the nova requires little maintenance and fires 3.5" shells and can be dissasembled without any tools. I was originally going to get the nova until I picked up the Browning BPS... the bps just looked so nice and it funtioned very smooth and seemed to feel better against my shoulder. I havent shot either gun and I was wondering if anyone on here has fired both weapons before. This is gonna be my only 12 gauge shotgun for a few years probably, so I need advice on which one to get. I want to be able to use it for anything like dove, duck, quail, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m14man

get which one feels the best and points naturaly with you, the browning will have higher resale than the nova but its also more expensive most time, most bps have a little better fit and finish in my opinion (less rattle in the front hand gaurd and more smooth action) but we know what opinions are like. both are great guns just get the one you like best, they will both work for years.

Thanks. I really just couldnt decide and I couldnt get an answer without somebody telling me I should get a mossberg 500 or a remington 870 instead. I'm gonna try to find a used browning bps, but if I cant I guess I'll just save up the extra money to buy a new one. It felt much better when I picked it up in the store and it looks really nice. The only negative thing I read about it was that the bps is hard to take apart for cleaning. Does anyone have experience field stripping it?

Guest BJEC1248

my brother has had a bps for many years & I have shot it a good bit, & I bought a Nova last year. the gun was advertised as a Super Nova, but that turned out to be a mistake. I just worked out a deal with the guy & kept it.

the bps is prettier & the downward ejection is a nice feature. but the nova shoots 3 1/2"s & for me, it mounts & points better than the bps or 870. the slide may be a little noisier than some, but it has not bothered me, but then all I've done with mine is hunt ducks. it's a good gun for $340.

...Look around and find a used Model 37 Ithaca. If you can't find one, the BPS will do. I like either, as I am left handed, and they eject out the bottom. ...

Greg has some great advice here. The only problem is that the old Ithaca 37's have become somewhat of a collector's item in some locations, and may bring a bit too much money for what they are. That being said, the Browning BPS is a great shotgun (...the greatest pump manufactured now, i think...). They are ultra smooth (...what the revered Winchester model 12 should have been...), eject to the bottom (...a great feature, especially for lefties...), are extremely well built, and dont cost an arm and a leg. There are lots of 'em out there. Take a look at the "lightly used" models. I like (... and used to shoot...) both. For a pump shotgun, they (...the Ithaca 37 and the BPS...) are the kings of the recent pump shotguns (...my all time favorite is the great Winchester 1897 hammer pump; the original "trench sweeper" and king of the duck blind!!...).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Edited by leroy
Look around and find a used Model 37 Ithaca. If you can't find one, the BPS will do. I like either, as I am left handed, and they eject out the bottom.

Greg is right. The BPS is a great shotgun, but the Model 37 is a better shotgun in my opinion. It feels smoother and more solidly put together than the Browning.

Guest sneakboxer
Thanks. I really just couldnt decide and I couldnt get an answer without somebody telling me I should get a mossberg 500 or a remington 870 instead. I'm gonna try to find a used browning bps, but if I cant I guess I'll just save up the extra money to buy a new one. It felt much better when I picked it up in the store and it looks really nice. The only negative thing I read about it was that the bps is hard to take apart for cleaning. Does anyone have experience field stripping it?

I have a 20ga and a 3.5in 12ga. I just pull the barrel and clean what i can reach most outings. But if i go swimming and/or at the end of the season i fully strip them down. It is not realty that hard. After a few tries you will figure out how to hold the two shell latches inplace while swinging in the trigger group.

I love my BPS's i have shot the snot out of them and the 12ga has seen magnum loads and terrible weather and has never failed me. A BPS would be a good choice if it fits you.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna start calling the local gun shops and pawn shops and see if I can find a bps or model 37. I guess I could just be patient and one will eventually make its way on here... If I find one at a pawn shop is there anything I should look for to make sure its in good shape?