Anyone Else Goin Crazy Waitin' for Deer Season to Open?

Guest 10mm4me

Guest 10mm4me

I cannot freakin' wait. Last night I forced my wife to get a license. She took hunter safety years ago but has never hunted. I told her this year she was goin'. She seemed less than "thrilled". My "deer fever" is gettin' so bad I literally am having trouble sleeping at night. I had a 130 10 pointer slip away last year, this year he's mine. I'm planning on 3 does, that 10 pointer, and one other buck. I will be using this...

Rem4.jpg

My new to me, unfired 700 BDL Deluxe Engraved, 30-06, fully floated and glass bedded. Just need some glass on top and I'm ready to rock.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me
I hear you brother. I kinda feel the same way. I can't wait myself. I don't bowhunt and its gonna be early Nov. for muzzleloader to open. I never took up bow hunting because its usually so hot.

Oh, you gotta bow hunt. It's hot at first, but come late Oct, early Nov, it is some of the best time to be in the woods. It is alot of fun too. Way more exciting than gun hunting. Although gun hunting is WAY easier.

wes, that is the exact same remington 700 i have, but i can't tell if yours has the detachable magazine? what kind of glass are you going to get? i can't wait for bow season! i think we are in the same boat, i have trouble sleeping also. lol good luck finding your 10 pointer!

Been out shooting the bow for the last three weeks.

If it's inside 40yds it's coming home.

Only going for that one big boy this year. I've still got plenty of meat in the freezer due to my trip out west in January. So this year it's trophy's only.

Bow hunting killed the fun for gun hunting for me. Theres nothing like the rush of having the bow halfway drawn and have the deer look directly at you. AHHHH!! Ive had to hold the bow at half draw for several minutes before they looked away. And sometimes you just come down to I've got to finish the draw or drop it...

Can't wait.

Mike

Edited by Mike

Last year was my first time deer hunting (at age 33) - I think I am hooked now. Got in on rifle season last year, picked up a bow for this year too - gotta get in some practice though.

Luckily, there is dove season coming on to keep me occupied :angel:

I've hunted for two seasons and haven't bagged anything yet. I'm anxious to get out this year and hopefully bring some meat home. I don't think a bow setup is in the budget for this year but I hope to get one by next season just to take advantage of the extra time in the woods.

I was out in the deer woods today. I have been shooting my bow on and off all summer to keep from getting too rusty. The next 37 days I will try to shoot every day. I put new strings on recently and they have stretched a bit so I got to get the bow tuned back perfectly. I doubt I will gun hunt this year. I will take my 11 year old daughter out during the youth hunt and a few other times during rifle season to get her on some deer, hopefully. I picked up some new land to hunt this year on a lease with a buddy, so I have to get out and do some serious scouting out there. I also have a couple bucks in the woods out the front door that should go 140+ inches this year. I am really hoping to get one of the big boys. I haven't taken a buck the past few seasons waiting for a trophy. Same thing will apply this year. The only way to have BIG deer is to let the little ones live.

So, yeah. I am ready to get up a tree.

Guest Jcochran88

Ha, this was on my mind all week! Went out and hung 5 stands today. Been shooting a little anything withing 60 is now in my wheel house. That being said before you guys get all crazy on me I usually don't shoot at anything further than 30. Unless I am hunting with Bronker then anything in sight is fair game!!

Guest BEARMAN

READY!....Now just need to sling some more arrows down range.

All you guys who don't bowhunt...look at it like a pre-season scouting mission.

If you kill a deer...then, iceing on the cake, and if you don't...you have at least patterned the deer and seen whats out there.

Spray down good with some un-scented tick repellent and you should be fine.

Plus, you'll be getting yourselve's in shape for the gun season!

Seems like a win, win situation to me, guy's. fwiw

Guest clutepc

I live for the first part of bow season, I didn't get my first deer until mid Oct last year but something about getting out before the woods are full of hunters like in the middle of the season.

I bow hunted all of last year, actually don't even own a gun that I can use where I hunt. :rock:

The bugs never really bothered me that much during deer season, turkey season seems worse to me.

Guest clutepc
30 yards is my "comfort zone", I too don't like to shoot beyond that. Don't let the bugs stop you from getting in the woods and hunting the early bow season. That's some of the best hunting of the year!

Same here, 30 is about it for me, if it was a clear broadside with no wind I'd think about 35 but that's it.

Guest Conrad

With all this talk about hunting season i finally had to get my bow out and see if it was still sighted in from last year. Here is a pic of 2 shots at 40 yards. I feel comfortable at that distance and should not have problems(except for buck fever) if a deer or bear was to step out at 40 yards.

007.jpg

Guest Jcochran88
Bronker tried eating one of those last year!

Had a heck of a time diggin out the back straps!

I was going to sneak one with us on our trip and set it up about 100 yards from his blind.

Guest clutepc

I was thinking about using a Fresh Earth wafer as a air freshener in the truck...then I thought that might be a little much, wife already thinks I'm a little off...:up:

Something about that smell that lets me know it's almost time..

I'm glad it's almost here I'm down to 1 venison roast.

That won't happen again, I don't plan on skipping on all the doe like I did last year.

Took some good pictures and video but when there isn't any meat in the freezer that picture just isn't as nice...

Guest Jcochran88
I was thinking about using a Fresh Earth wafer as a air freshener in the truck...then I thought that might be a little much, wife already thinks I'm a little off...:up:

Something about that smell that lets me know it's almost time..

I'm glad it's almost here I'm down to 1 venison roast.

That won't happen again, I don't plan on skipping on all the doe like I did last year.

Took some good pictures and video but when there isn't any meat in the freezer that picture just isn't as nice...

I always use those in my truck to help with human sent that I pick up during the year in it.

Spent all day working on food plots got about 5 plots put in and 5 more ready to be sowed. Got about 7 of the 10 acres ready. I can't wait!!!