O/U Shotgun Inertial or Mechanical Trigger Selector

Although I have owned O/U shotguns for almost 40 years, I had never heard of an intertial trigger selector before a few days ago. My brief study shows that they are quite common. Does anybody have any experience and/or opinions concerning the reliability and pros and cons of an inertial versus mechanical trigger selector?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

I'm not partial to one or the other. If they work, they work. I don't think there is any draw backs to inertial style that should hold you back from acquiring one if that is what this question is really about. Perhaps the only scenario where this style would be a draw back is.....and this may be a stretch.....if the first shell is a dud or defective in such a way it doesn't recoil enough to allow the second barrel to be selected. Or if a conversion was done to say a 12ga that you changed into a 20,16,28 etc. without modifying the system for a lower recoiling gauge. Kind of a stretch, I know. I see no major drawbacks. O/U's in general are a bit of a pain to work on anyways either inertial or mechanical. Small parts in small places and my hands are too big. Good thing my patience is vast.

Thanks much for the info. As I mentioned, I've had O/U's for about 40 years but they've been Winchesters and Remingtons with mechanical trigger selectors. I just got a used Charles Daly/Miroku and thought it was malfunctioning when the first snap cap was hit but the second barrel wouldn't fire. Silly me! I've never known a skeet or trap shooter who has had a malfunction with any of these systems, but I'm sure it has happened. Thanks again.

I just got a used Charles Daly/Miroku and thought it was malfunctioning when the first snap cap was hit but the second barrel wouldn't fire. Silly me!

To test it, pull the trigger, bump the butt of the stock on the floor to simulate recoil, and then the other trigger should pull. I've yet to see a this system not work correctly. I prefer it to two triggers, but either will do just fine.

Guest sneakboxer

I have a hand-me-down Ithaca/SKB SxS in 20ga and it has inertial selector. My father and i have not had any problems. I was told by a few different people that the gun will double fire if fired from the hip or with a poor mount. I have not tried to get to double fire and the have never had a lick of a problem with that gun.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either design for your purpose. But if you were shooting lions that would be different.

Best of luck,

I don't really have an opinion as to which is better. I have both and have shot both many times. I do know other Beretta shooter who have had their shotgun converted to mechanical. I never understood why. I like my inertial trigger on the 682 Gold E just fine. I don't have any problems with it, nor never had probs with the 687 I shot thousands of rounds out of. It really seems to be preference and neither is better as far as I can tell. Never had issues with either.

To test it, pull the trigger, bump the butt of the stock on the floor to simulate recoil, and then the other trigger should pull. I've yet to see a this system not work correctly. I prefer it to two triggers, but either will do just fine.

+1,my Stoeger Condor works exactly like that.I have not had any problems with it.

I think I'd prefer the inertia trigger over the mechanical selector seems there is no real advantage one over the other unless you are shooting two different chokes and want the ability to choose which barrel to fire from to take better advantage of a different choke for the given situation.

Unless there's something out there I'm unaware of, there are two types. One has two triggers. The other has a barrel selector, so that you can decide which barrel to shoot first, and a mechanical device that allows the trigger to fire the second barrel after the first one fires. I'm not aware of one without some type of selector.

Unless there's something out there I'm unaware of, there are two types. One has two triggers. The other has a barrel selector, so that you can decide which barrel to shoot first, and a mechanical device that allows the trigger to fire the second barrel after the first one fires. I'm not aware of one without some type of selector.

You are partially correct Greg and I was partially wrong. After doing some research Most if not all of today's Double barreled guns are manufactured with either a selector or two triggers . But in years past there were some especially in the SxS format that had a single trigger but no selector and in my limited experience with DB shotguns I assumed that having a single trigger and no selector was still a choice available on more modern guns . My primary experience is with my grandfathers older SxS that only had one trigger and no selector. Not sure of the make and since the gun is no longer in my fathers possession it will be difficult to get that information for you. The Franchi Grand Prix 90 is an O/U that had a single trigger and no selector. production ceased in 2000 and was replaced by the sporting model that does. The Franchi Highlander (SxS)also has no selector and a single trigger.

Mechanical and inertial triggers on an O/U pertain to the way the trigger resets after the first shot. On mechanical triggers the trigger must be let off somewhat after the first shot to reset for the second shot. On inertial triggers the recoil and pressure against the buttplate reset the trigger so the amount you let off the trigger is infestimal if you fire the top barrel first. If you shoot the bottom barrel first you have to let the trigger come back slightly more to reset. You still have a barrel selector on a mechanical trigger O/U of any modern gun.

I typically shoot light loads on the clays course and have never had the triggers not reset on my inertial triggered guns.