Carrying on Navagatable Waters and passing through a COE Lock

When I go to Memphis next week, I'll be spending an afternoon picking up my fathers "new to him" boat in Florence AL.

We'll be running up the TN river from there to Pickwick Lake in Counce TN. We'll be passing through AL, MS and TN.

I am familiar with the carry laws in the three states, but I have one question. I have been told that there one river lock that we will be going through. I'm assuming th elock is owned and run by the COE.

Can I carry through the lock? If I unload my pistol and put it in a locked compartment do I fall under Federal Interstate Tranportation laws?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to Pickwick you will be going through Wilson lock. It is TVA owned and COA operates the lock. I think you are good to go. I have been through there and talked to the lock master before they lowered the water while open carrying. Nothing was said. I have never had any problems in any of the locks on the TN river from Chattanooga to Ky dam.

Edited by -boatman-

I don't know for sure...but if a public roadway through a college campus, posted park etc....is legal, I would think staying on the river through any certain lock/dam would be ok.

Do they normally search vessels going through? If not, don't really see where it would be a problem.

Though I am not an attorney (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) I will offer my opinion. I say it is legal to carry on Navigable waterways in the US, including locking through and as Fallguy points out, they are essentially public roadways. I do know of a recent incident where a fellow sailor was boarded (with captains permission) for a safety inspection where the Coast Guardsman asked if "there were any guns on board". The answer was no but he asked "what if I did, is it illegal?". The answer was No, it is not illegal but they wanted to know before proceeding with the safety inspection. One can refuse the safety inspection and the the type of boat you are on may determine whether or not you must have a HCP. For example, a walk through runabout or fishing boat would be similar to a car (need HCP in my opinion) whereas a houseboat or sailboat/cruiser with cabin could be considered your home (no HCP needed). There are several law enforcement entities on the waterways including TWRA and Local Sheriffs and Police Departments so you never know who'll you'll have to answer to. I know several fisherman who fish late into the night and early in the morning and they never go unarmed. There was some debate about going armed while launching their boats however they all agree, that is a risk they'll take.

For the most part the TWRA officers are pretty gun friendly, since they are around hunters / sportsmen on a regular basis.

If you are boarded by TWRA, if it is an obvious SD weapon you are good to go.

A scoped out rifle or hunting-type pistol - you may have some 'splainin to do'

As far as the traditional marine LEO, don't know, never had it come up in my years of boating on Ft Loudon / Tellico / Watts Bar

of course you can take your gun(s) on the boat. How else will you be able to claim that were all lost in a tragic boating accident when the man comes to gather them up?

Concealed meand concealed btw, I would carry as I normally do and not worry about it.