So who actually open carrys?

What type of vest robbiev?

The first 3 or 4 years, I used a Domke (spelling?) photo type vest because back then, that's about all I could find. Even when I wore that, I never had a problem, even at Wolfchase, even though I had been told numerous times that I would be asked to leave if I went to Wolfchase mall wearing a vest. Since then, I've worn plain black vests that I get from Smith and Alexander.

Edited by robbiev
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that to be mostly urban legend. I wear a vest all the time, and I carry my gun everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE. If I'm outside of my house, I wear a gun, period) and I've never run into a single problem. I've been carrying for over 15 years and always used a vest, so it's not something I started last week or anything.

The only unwanted attention a vest has ever brought me is, when I go into Kroger, someone ALWAYS thinks I work there and asks me a question, and then they get mad when I don't know the answer.

I dunno, maybe you are right. I aways assume a guy wearing a vest has a gun.

In honor of Erik and this thread I OC'd on the way home tonight, even did my Thursday night gas fill up. One lady at the pump was eyeballing me. Probably because I am so good looking, not the .32 sticking out of my waist band. I don't think anyone else noticed me.

I agree.

10401327_tml.jpg

LMAO exactly. I think it's one of those things that only gun people really put together and most other people just think "look at that guy with horrible f***ing fashion sense" lol I bought one years ago then quickly realized no 20 something year old wears crap like this. It brought more attention to me just because I looked like a dingus.

Sorry to disappoint you Erik But this OF carries in a fanny pack because of the other things I carry now when I go to town. Also a belted holster just looks out of place over BIBS and I am afraid my pants will fall down if I carry a Kimber in my pocket. :eek:

Mike I've seen your fanny pack. It's actually quite fashionable :death: I'm sure there will come a time when I tote the fanny pack as well. Hopefully by then I will be able to afford a Kimber too!

For those that are wondering what Mike looks like. Here he is in the middle of the picture.

****PICTURE REMOVED BY MOD BECAUSE OF LANGUAGE****

and just for kicks(no pun intended)

fannypack.png

Edited by Fallguy
Remove pic because of language.
Me three.

Especially when it's friggin 90. Why would anyone wear a vest EXCEPT to hide something once temps are over maybe 70.

- OS

But keep in mind that we are gun people and we look for it more than other people do. The average person walking around in the world has absolutely no idea what is going on around them in general, much less what other people are doing and I would venture a guess that the average person doesn't go around thinking, "hmm, I wonder who's wearing a gun?" If I had ever had a problem, especially in certain places where I'm basically certain that I would have been asked to leave if anyone thought I had a gun, I would agree, but seeing as how it's never been an issue, I just don't think people notice.

But keep in mind that we are gun people and we look for it more than other people do. The average person walking around in the world has absolutely no idea what is going on around them in general, much less what other people are doing and I would venture a guess that the average person doesn't go around thinking, "hmm, I wonder who's wearing a gun?"

Not since I saw the Big Lebowski, dude.

"He" being ''you''.

And only you.:P

Don't be hating just because the voices are not speaking to you. :)

But keep in mind that we are gun people and we look for it more than other people do........... I just don't think people notice.

Before I was a gun people I always wondered why those wearing photog vests had no cameras.

And you are right about people not noticing. Freaking people are generally out in the ozone somewhere.

Guest Linoge

Bit late to the party, but any time my pants are on, I am out of the house, and I am not at work, I am openly carrying (at least anywhere it is legal to carry at all). I might untuck for improperly-posted establishments (or avoid them entirely), but aside from that... yup, open. If you are so inclined, you can read about my assorted and sundry (and all too boring, in reality) exploits while openly carrying here - suffice to say, the lack of response has been amusing, and what response their has been was positive.

you might as well OC as wear a vest, Nothing says " I've got a gun" quite like the vest, LOL

Baloney. I wear a fleece vest throughout much of the fall/winter/spring, and I blend in with probably 50% of other males. Fleece vests are popular and I bet you wouldn't think "where is his camera" if you saw me in a store.

Baloney. I wear a fleece vest throughout much of the fall/winter/spring, and I blend in with probably 50% of other males. Fleece vests are popular and I bet you wouldn't think "where is his camera" if you saw me in a store.

You darn well knew I was talking about the typical photog vest. That is the vest people assume a person is carrying a gun if they are wearing and not carrying cameras.

No I would not assume someone in cold weather wearing a fleece vest is carrying a gun.

So just to stir the pot...are not most OCer's who are bragging about it under 30? Just an observation.

Not that your comment was directed at me, Im sure it wasnt. And not that my OC'ing or talking about OC'ing could remotely be considered bragging....Im 36.

As far as my opinion of OC or CC....to each their own. I couldn't care either way if ppl oc or cc. I do what's comfortable and right for me.