Anyone own a Taurus 24/7 OSS or a regular 24/7

I am looking at getting one of these and was wondering if anyone owns or owned one and what it was like. I am concerned about problems if any as well as the ergonomics. It seems like it has a lot of features for the money.

Mine will be 9mm.

As long as it works well for me my wife will probably get the abreviated version for her carry.

Thanks

Dolomite

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the PT145 which is essentially the same as the 24/7 compact. I bought it primarily because of the ergonomics, it fits me very well. Mine's been great. I've had it for about 5 years and it's got a good 800 rounds through it. No issues, plenty accurate

I've got a regular 24/7 Pro DS (decocker) that I've had for over a year and it's not a bad gun. Every time I've shot it it's gone bang and the recoil is not bad either. The sights suck in the fact that you have to hold the center dot OVER your target, so you can't exactly see your target. I have rather large, lanky hands (I'm 6'4) and with a Houge slip on grip, it's REALLY comfortable. Haven't had any issues with it, but there have been reports of issues. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a S&W M&P 9mm for $150 more or a FNP-9 for about $100 more. Both of those guns are EXTREMELY nice guns and made in the US. Heck, now you got me thinking about selling my 24/9 and getting a FNP-9..except I'd have to buy a new super tuck..sigh..

Matthew

I've got a regular 24/7 Pro DS ..

Matthew

You don't by chance own a 1911 or a Glock as well?

The reason I ask is I have holsters for both and was hoping you could test fit the 24/7 in one of the hoslters. I know it won't be a perfect fit but hopefully close enough that I don't have to shell out some more cash for more holsters.

Dolomite

You don't by chance own a 1911 or a Glock as well?

The reason I ask is I have holsters for both and was hoping you could test fit the 24/7 in one of the hoslters. I know it won't be a perfect fit but hopefully close enough that I don't have to shell out some more cash for more holsters.

Nope, sorry.

I have the 24/7 in 9mm with the 5 in barrel. It was incredibly reliable and accurate. I never had any problem with it and thought it was a great gun for the money. My only gripe was the trigger pull. There is a lot of take up before the trigger breaks. I just didn't like the way it felt. Once the trigger broke, it was not heavy or gritty. But the slack before really bugged me. So I gave it to my Dad and got and M&P 9. I question necessity of the second strike feature that Taurus loves to advertise. If a round fails to fire on the first strike, why would it fire on the next one? I think the best practice is to get it out of the chamber ASAP. Honestly, I have only had one round ( wolf ammo) that had a dud primer. (It revealed itself when I was shooting my M&P 9, so I don't know if the second strike feature would have fired it.) If you shoot decent ammo ( like Winchester White Box from Wally World) you will be fine without it. I suspect that Taurus has traded away the possibility of a great trigger pull for a feature that is little more than an advertising gimmick. Anyway, the Taurus is a good gun at a great price. If the trigger pull doesn't bother you, go for it. People bitch about Taurus a lot, but I think their products are worth the money. Good luck.

Thanks

I ordered a new one from Bud's Gun Shop. When it got here it was missing the front sight and was obviously well used. Even the smith took a look at it and said it had a lot of mileage on it. I called Bud's to let them know it was used and was missing a front sight. There response was call Taurus to see if they will fix it and if they wouldn't then call back. I called Taurus and let them know I needed a front sight and the type. I told them it didn't have the Novak sights on the rear and that I wanted the same type for the front. Taurus said someone had replaced the sights because the brand that was on there was never an option on the particualr gun I ordered. They said I would need to return the gun to them to have the front sight replaced which I wasn't going to do. Mind you I still haven't took possession of the pistol.

I called Bud's back and explained to them Taurus would not replace the sight. I asked if they would remove the front sight from the other pistol they had in stock and mail it. They said they wouldn't. I then told them to send a call tag because I would not accept the gun because it was missing the front sight as well as being a used gun. I asked if they could have the replacement in the mail once the messed up pistol was in UPS possession and they said they couldn't. To prevent the wait I bought the replacement so I would not have to wait the week or two for it to arrive.

While speaking with them they acknowleged they had sent the wrong firearm when they researched the serial number. They are going to refund the purchase as soon as that pistol arrives at their facility. Bud's refunded the fees the FFL charged me even though I did not take possession.

Now I am waiting on what will hopefully be a new pistol.

Dolomite

That stinks, but at least Bud's is making it right. That is total BS to send you a used pistol when you ordered a new one. Good luck, let us know how this all works out.

I am familiar with working on guns. I have done most of my own work for years. I routinely have to tweak mags on new and even used guns because things do change with time. My most notorious mags were some for a Ruger 22/45. I couldn't get them to make it thru a full mag without issue. Tweaked the mags and haven't had an issue in over 10K and probably closer to 15K rounds.

I am just hoping to get what I ordered, thats it and if it happens I will be very happy. As far as compensating me they didn't, all they did was pay for the FFL fees I had to pay and I have to pay the fees again when the replacement pistol arrives. I am not complaining about the FFL because he has labor in the transfer and I understood that and paid it without even a question. I still had to pay full price for the replacement gun as well as insurance, which by the way is BS. It only covers to the FFL and if the firearms arrives damaged all you have to do is refuse to take possession. After paying for their insurance I was told that by someone at Bud's.

And finally, Bud's price does not include the additional charges they will charge. There is a 3% credit card fee for all non cash purchases. Considering I can't go up there and pay cash for a pistol I had to pay that as well. To me it is worth it though providing I get exactly what I ordered. I did find one similar but I didn't want similar I want exactly what I want and for that I guess I have to pay a little more.

Again, as long as I get what I ordered I will be happy with the FFL and Bud's because I understand things like this do happen. It is probably still quicker than most other places I could have bought from.

Anyways, we will see Monday as it was shipped today next day air. If all is good then I'll come back and edit out all the negatives out of my posts about Bud's because they are trying to make things right.

Dolomite

ETA: It isn't next day air. That was for the return of the damaged/used pistol to be returned to their facility. That is fine because that just means I get my refund sooner.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Ok, so I go to pick up the replacement gun. It too is missing the front sight. I call Bud's and begin speaking then get transferred to voicemail after waiting about 15 minutes on hold. I leave a message and call back. This time I tell the person to not put me through to voicemail. He then transferes me to another person in returns. I explain that this is the second pistol I have ordered that has the front sight missing. He appologizes and says I need to return it for a replacement with a front sight. I explain to him that I was told that this pistol would be inspected before it shipped to make sure it was fine. He again appologizes but says there is nothing he can do other than get the pistol back and get a replacement sent out. I told him this was my second trip to my FFL and I didn't want to make another 45 minute trip because of a problem on his end. I understand the first screw up but no the second.

So he said he would personally inspect the replacement handgun with me on the phone. I wait a few minutes and he came back on the phone angry, but not at me. He said he needed to call Taurus. I told him they did not have the tritium sights to match the rears on the pistol. I told him without having tritium fronts then having tritium rears are useless. He said he wasn't calling about just my pistol to find out about sights. He went on to say he just received a $400,000 shipment of pistols from Taurus and all the ones he checked were missing the front sights, not just my model. He said he checked quite a few and all were the same, new but without front sights. He places me on hold.

Once he gets back on the phone with me he said we have replacement sights coming to you for no charge but they are not going to be the tritium sights because Taurus doesn't have any. He said Taurus told him that more than likely my pistol was a special run. This is better than returning the pistol and waiting for another that is going to have regular sights so I agree I will take possession of the pistol.

I tell him I am not happy about that fact I am out time and money for the second trip to my FFL because of his screwup, not mine or Taurus. I said that the second pistol should have been inspected before it shipped and he agreed. I asked for $50 to cover gas and time and he agreed.

So now I have a pistol without a front sight for a few days but I did get the pistol for about $200 less than anywhere else even though it was a huge PITA. Would I do it over again had I known, no even a chance. I have to get driven because my injuries prevent me from driving any distance. My wife spent 4 hours with me while I dealt with this and I hated putting her through that. Also, sitting in the car that long will put me in bed for a few days as well I did it last week but didn't really want to this week.

Will I order from Bud's again? Not likely or at least not in the near future. They still haven't sent the call tag to ship the original pistol back so I can get my money back. I can see that being the next big issue.

Will I ever order or own a Taurus again, never because obviously their quality control is crap. Even if this pistol is great and runs 100% I will consider it a fluke. Also, Taurus' answer to everything is "return the gun to us". All I wanted was a front sight and was told this but I will not place my pistol in that llimbo over a front sight.

Dolomite

Also, if anyone is ordering any Taurus auto pistols in the next few months I would make sure they inspect the weapon for a front sight or at least be ready for the snafu I went through.

These are the reason I did not want to ship it to Taurus to install a sight. It would have taken months and cost a lot more than I wanted.

Also, the gun was test fired. It had a bit of residue but not like the first one they shipped. Also, the front sight dovetail had a sight in it at one point because you could see the wear marks from the set screw.

At this point I really don't care.

Dolomite

So in the end I decided just to buy the sights that were supposed to come on the pistol.

I called Taurus and was told they would try to get the replacement sights here within 2 weeks, putting the whole ordeal over a month. And that would be for regular sights and not the tritium sights that were supposed to be on the pistol. In my eyes this way too long for them to fix something so simple.

I got the correct tritium Novaks for $63 shipped and they should be here by Tuesday which I will be happy about. I am wondering what is going to go wrong now because it can't be this easy.

Bud's Gun Shup, the distributor, did all they could to make things right but in the end Taurus screwed us both. I can't really blame Bud's for the messed up pistol but I do hold them responsible for not checking the second pistol. I will probably order from them again but it will be a while before I do.

Dolomite

After reading these posts, I don't think I ever use Bud's. I've bought several guns over the internet from other distributors and never had a problem getting the exact gun I ordered.

I have bought from Buds in the past. I didnt have any problems and will buy from them again.

As I said Bud's did everything they could to make things right with me but in the end it was Taurus' oversight that screwed us both. I hold no ill will towards Bud's now that I have everything coming together. Taurus on the other hand will not see one red cent of my money again.

I doubt my next order from Bud's will be this bothersome. If and when I order from them I will only talk to one specific person within Bud's that was extremely helpful during all of this.

Dolomite