Buying my first AR type

Guest dedgar

Guest dedgar

I have wanted an AR type long gun for a while and finally decided I hadd waited long enough. So I bought a DPMS 223/5.56 Complete Lower receiver (AP4) on Gunbroker.com.

Then I ordered the upper assembly from DPMS to contain the following:

1. 20" A3 Barrel Assembly (Post Ban)

Model: BA-A3AS-P

2. Barrel Upgrade: Barrel Fluting - Full Flutes

Model: UG-34

3. Chrome Lined Bore & Chamber in a 4140 Chrome-Moly Steel Barrel

Model: UG-CH

4. Current Steel Bolt Carrier Assembly to: Titanium Nitride Bolt Carrier Assembly

Model: UG-71

5. Current A2 Front Sight to: Koelbl Single Rail Gas Block

Model: UG-511

6. Current Handguard/Free Float Tube to: Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube

Model: UG-CF

Now I just have to wait for DPMS to send the upper to me. That could take a while though. Reading the FAQ's on their site tells me that the lead time for the upper assembly or complete rifles could take several weeks to several months.

I wish they had defined what they mean by 'several'.

I'm not good at waiting.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dedgar
I wish I knew what all that was

20" barrel = of course the barrel is 20" long. You have the option of getting barrels of different lengths. For DPMS in .223 they have 16", 20" and 24" choices.

barrel fluting = does a couple of things. Much like welding ribs to the outside of a pipe stiffens it, fluting removes material from the round barrel to make the 'ribs' out of the material that is NOT removed. It also increases the surface area and that radiates heat faster due to the larger surface.

The 4140 chrome-moly barrel = stainless steel, mainly corrosion resistance

Chrome lined bore and chamber = a chrome surface is smoother than a cut steel surface. Smoother surface equals less resistance. Less resistance means less wear. The barrel should last longer.

Titanium Nitride Bolt Carrier Assembly = harder surface so less susceptible to wear and pitting

Koelbl Single Rail Gas Block = that's the block at the end of the hand guard on the barrel. single rail is a Picatinny rail for mounting stuff. A rail instead of having a front site. I'm planning on using some sort of optics so don't plan on needing a front site. Oh yeah, made by Koelbl.

Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube = the hand guard at the front of the rifle is made from carbon fiber. Lighter than most anything else the guards are made of. More resistant to dents, etc. Being lighter obviously brings down the total weight of the rifle.

Now, all you forum guys, if I have made errors in this please feel free to make corrections.

Guest dedgar

1 in 9 twist.

I'm already planning my reloads for this.

Bullet - about 70 gr (Berger has a nice one at this weight and Sierra has a Match King at 69 gr moly coated)

Powder - Hodgdon benchmark. I'll start at 21 grains. Hodgdon reload manual says to start at 21.5 but the cases I have are Lake City which I believe is military brass. Military brass is a little thicker so initial pressures will be higher, I'll work up from there. Benchmark because it is listed as a powder for the three rifle rounds I now have. I won't have more cans laying around for less chance of a mix up.

Primer - CCI small rifle or equivalent

Edited by dedgar

Some weekend when I'm here, not busy, and we can work the details we need to meet and get you introduced to the rest of the area enthusiasts. There's 56Fordguy down the hill in Bethpage and Verne and his crew over in Trousdale Co/Hartsville. Of course there's Bronker over in Dickson Co but he don't count. He's just here for a post count.

Post up and start talking to the locals. A great bunch of folks around here and on TGO in general.

Guest Bronker

I don't know what that phrase means, but I am noticing I have a knack for saying the right thing at the right time. An uncanny ability actually.

Well, I'll go google it.

Guest dedgar

I emailed DPMS about estimating a shipping date for the upper assy I spec'd and didn't get an answer. So I called them and got an answer.

About 3 months. :lol:

Oy vey, three MONTHS!!!!

I can't wait that long to start using this AR. So I went back online and found a light weight upper w/16" barrel that I will use till mine comes in.

3 months :devil:

In the mean time I have installed a JP enterprises AR-15 reduced weight trigger/hammer spring kit.

Now to wait for the 16" one to arrive.

I know it"s a little late now, but BCM has their uppers on sale. I just picked up one for myself. You would be hard pressed to find a better upper for the price, and if it is in stock you'll have it in a few days. Mine took four days from order to delivery.

And if you are wanting to shoot 70 grain bullets, I'd go with a 1:7 twist.

Edited by Brandon

Got a big time crunch for the foreseeable future. Got me a part time gig after the primary job. I'm pretty much out of the net for a while. Once we get the opening out of the way and things settle down I may be available. I got a new AR in my stable and haven't put a round through it yet. Holler back in a few weekends and let's see how it goes!

Got a big time crunch for the foreseeable future. Got me a part time gig after the primary job. I'm pretty much out of the net for a while. Once we get the opening out of the way and things settle down I may be available. I got a new AR in my stable and haven't put a round through it yet. Holler back in a few weekends and let's see how it goes!

You definitely won't be going this weekend!:D

• 1 month later...

Sent DPMS an email yesterday asking for an update on my upper I ordered back in Aug. Was told another 4-6 weeks till order fulfillment.

(insert heavy sigh here)