Revolver questions

BigK

I don't know a lot about revolvers. I've shot a few and enjoyed myself, but mostly prefer pistols. I have been considering a .357 recently, but might settle for a .38.

I ran across some great deals on police issued S&W models (15, 64, and 67). The price ($230-270) seems about right and fits my budget, but they've all been modified to be DAO. The site says it's to "comply with law enforcement requirements." I've also ran across some other revolvers (mostly S&W) that caught my eye, but they say DAO also.

Are SA/DA revolvers less common?

Can the DAO mods on the police trade-ins be reversed cheaply?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "modified", do you mean the hammers have been bobbed? If so, it seems like it wouldn't take much to replace them. I've never done it myself. But for carry, a DAO revolver might work in your favor if you ever had to use it for self-defense, depending on whether or not an ambitious D.A. decided to go after you. Just my .02.

Most self defense revolvers, the type you are looking at, should, in mind, only be used in DAO. It is very easy to get quite good shooting and nice DAO revolver. Most S&W revolvers, if SA is operational, break in SA about 1.5lbs, way too light to use in self-defense mode anyway. The 6" 686 in .357, .44 Mag, .460 and .500 are hungting revolvers best suited to either optics or iron sights for longer shots where a nice SA trigger break is a big advantage.

However, the S&W trigger mechanism is pretty much the same across all its revolvers whether J, K, L or large frame. So most S&Ws will break in SA around 2lbs or less if they are broken in.

Most DAO S&W or Rugers I have seen that were security firm or law enforcement turn ins not only had the hammers bobbed but the SA notch is gone also.

The problem with bobbing the hammer spur it changes the mass of the hammer which can affect your shooting if you are used to shooting that particular revolver with a full hammer. It changes lock time slightly also. It is whatever you train and get used to. I would have no problem whatsover with a S&W with bobbed hammer spurin DAO. But I bet most of those guns have a hammer

I've owned several of the type of revolvers you mentioned. They were all carried a lot, shot little, and with a little cleaning and sometimes a new spring or two they ran like gangbusters.

My recommendation would be to get one in DAO and learn to shoot it accurately DAO. I recently had a Mdl 64 I tuned up and it was the best shooting S&W I have owned out of maybe a dozen or more. A good friend of mine had no decent handgun so now he has it.

Lastly, get a copy of the DVD, "Trigger Job" by Jerry Miculek. With a couple of relatively inexpensive handtools Jerry shows you how to disassemble, reassemble and how to lightly tune a S&W revolver. Watch it once. Then have a gun and tools ready with your remote, stop, repeat, etc. as necessary. Once you do your own tuning you will be amazed how easy it is.

Craig in Clarksville

Guest Lester Weevils

In movie fantasy-land, a trope scene repeated hundreds of times, is one person holding a gun on another person, and cocking the dern thing, standing there with it cocked and finger on the trigger. That scene gives me the heebie-jeebies because the trigger is so light on many cocked revolvers. No room for error.

It ain't good because lots of people have revolvers, and lots of people copy what they see in the movies. :P

Pay the 50 extra for the 357 and you can practice with 38. I prefer the DA/SA as I would use the SA for target practice and DA for tactical practice. I went to Semi pistols but also have a couple of revolvers in 357 and a Judge in 45 LC/ 410. I also preferred the longer barrels in a revolver and the heaver frames over the pocket rockets with a 2 inch barrel or less.

Graycrait gives some great advice here:

...My recommendation would be to get one in DAO and learn to shoot it accurately DAO. I recently had a Mdl 64 I tuned up and it was the best shooting S&W I have owned out of maybe a dozen or more. A good friend of mine had no decent handgun so now he has it....

We are revolver guys. Done lots of shooting with smiths similar to these. Learn to shoot DA; that's what these guys were made for. They are fast, accurate, tough, and dead reliable. Every pistolero should own one.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Leroy

You guys make extremely valid points and I see a lot of wisdom in your DAO advice. I guess I mostly just wanted the option to shoot SA at the range, if I chose to do so. I'd NEVER use it in a self-defense situation, so thanks for that advice. I won't let that discourage me.

Is there anything you guys can tell me about the 3 models I mentioned (15, 64, & 67) that should sway my decision? Is one better than the others? They are here (Revolver) if you'd like to see and make an informed recommendation. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

I think you'd simply have to purchase another hammer and you'd be good to go. Gun Parts Corporation should have them. Smith and Wesson might be able to sell you one as well. If I wanted one to carry, I'd prefer a bobbed hammer. I have several rervolvers, and I believe the 19-2 is just about the perfect all around revolver.

Dear Think:_____________

....Is there anything you guys can tell me about the 3 models I mentioned (15, 64, & 67) that should sway my decision? Is one better than the others? ...

Model 15 has target (...adjustable...) sights; but is 38 special. They are good ones. The others are fixed sights. I like 'em all.

Kind regards,

leroy

Dear Think:_____________

Model 15 has target (...adjustable...) sights; but is 38 special. They are good ones. The others are fixed sights. I like 'em all.

Kind regards,

leroy

The 67 is simply the stainless version of the 15....they are both a "Combat Masterpiece"

The advantage is that it is much easier to touch up the 67 due to stainless. If you are referring to the J&G police turn ins....get one. You will not be disappointed.

K - Frame S&W guns...like their 3rd gen auto cousins...are way, Way, WAY underrated guns. Pinnacle of design

I personally like the option of using tha hammer for single action. BUT The hammers on revolvers are notorious for hanging up in your pocket or when drawing from under a jacket. If you are going to carry it concealed you may want to consider a hammerless version. Shooting a Smoke Wagon DAO accurately takes a lot of practice. To be honest, I suck at it but I'm still learning. I have a GP-100 with a 4" barrel. When I shoot magnum loads double action, it ain't pretty. When I shoot the same loads single action I can hit my target well. I just need to put down my semi-automatics and practice DAO until I get it. I would recommend getting a .357 if you can. To me the .357 is the most versatile pistol made, in that you have so many choices of ammo from 38sp wadcutters that your grandma could shoot, to 38sp +P that have good ballistics (Similar to a 9mm) but with a tame recoil. to .357 magnum personal defense loads like the Black Hills 125gr semi-jacket hollow points (king of the one shot stops. 625fps of energy at the muzzle) to the 200gr hunting loads that will stop a bear. Of course those old police issue Smiths can be a great deal. It would be hard for me to walk away from a good Model 10 for under $300. I would be interested to know what you do. How about posting when you've got one?

Edited by Will Carry
Guest The Highlander

Excellent guns, and at a pretty good price, I would think. I love all handguns, but since I started out with a semi, that is what I carry mostly. However, lately I've been leaning back to the old-school and going with a .357 revolver fairly often.

That "if I could only have one handgun" arguement would be solved for me with a Ruger GP-100, 4" barrel, adjustable sights, Hogue Monogrip's, and a light tune. Oh wait...that is what I'm carrying now!

The Smiths are awesome too, and I'd never feel undergunned carrying one. And they are certainly a little more elegant than the Rugers.

I'm ordering the S&W Model 67 on Friday. I chose it mostly b/c of the adjustable sights and stainless finish.

That leaves me 2 days to find a place that charges less than $50 + $10 for the transfer. My LGS is HIGH, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfreesboro Outdoors is $30 + $10 for the transfer. Not a terrible drive from LaVergne

I'm heading that way Saturday, l'll stop in and see 'em, since I didn't get to place my order today. Thanks for the heads-up.