Thoughts on FN Herstal?

Guest Archminister01

Guest Archminister01

I am going to be buying a new handgun soon and was hoping to get some feed back on FN handguns in any caliber. I personally am looking for a .45acp. Hope to get some ideas as to whether this maker is a worthwhile consideration.

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my eye on a fnp9 for a long time. I finally bought one and sold it within a week. There are a lot better guns on the market. I didn't like the trigger, mags, or the feel when I fired it. I was not overly impressed with the accuracy either.

The .45 has a gigantic grip.

I've got a FNP-45 USG .45 nd I love it. Its my EDC gun, although it is kinda big. Having 16 rounds of .45 ready to go makes it worth it though. Mine will shoot any kind of ammo with no probkems and I find it is as accurate as I am.

I think FN makes reliable products. I have a Five-Seven, FNP-45, and a FN SLP Mark 1. I did have a FNP-9 as well. When I first got into handguns sometime last year, I started buying the FN products.

The five seven is a pretty cool gun. However, the cost of 5.7x28 ammo sort of makes it cost prohibitive to shoot a lot. It used to be my carry gun due to its weight and mag capacity. I quit carrying it due to the size; it is a large gun. If FN would make a compact version with a better trigger, it would be perfect.

In regards to their FNP line, the FNP-9 felt great in my hands, but the trigger was atrocious. The FNP-9 had to have one of the worst triggers I have seen. Maybe it was just my gun, but I sometimes scratch my head when I hear FNP-9 owners talk about how great the trigger is. Are you kidding me? The FNP-45 is huge, but not uncomfortable. The trigger on my FNP-45 is much better than my FNP-9. The accuracy on my FNP-45 is also better than my FNP-9. However, due to its size and weight (15 rd of .45 acp), I have never considered carrying it.

My SLP mark 1 is a great shotgun. It is a keeper. I think FN makes some really good shotguns.

Overall, FN makes good products. I have zero problems from any of my FN products. They are reliable. The price on their FNP line is moderately priced considering you get three mags with the gun. I will probably cause some outrage with this statement, but I feel that the FNP line is comparable with the H&K USP and certain Sigs. I had a USP 40, and I didn't think it was any better than the FN products. I can't comment on the FNX line since I have never shot one.

If I had it to do over, I would have probably passed on both the FNP-9 and FNP-45. They are fine guns, but just not really to my taste. I replaced the FNP-9 with a Glock 34. The Glock is by far and away better than the FNP-9. I will probably get rid of the FNP-45 eventually. I don't really have a purpose for it. If I was going to carry a full size 45, then I would carry my Wilson with an extra mag. There is no comparison there, but to be fair, the Wilson is like 4x the price of the FNP-45.

If you do buy one, I don't think you will have any problems with them. I have shot thousands of rounds through FN products. If you don't like it and decide to sell it, you shouldn't have to take a beating on it.

Guest Archminister01
If you want a .45 with higher capacity I would go with a XDm or XD45. You will get 13 rounds of .45 with a smoother trigger and better grip.

I thought the FNP 45 had 14 and 15 round magazines. I have seen shooters packs that offer a 10 round also.

Also i guess I should say that my budget is less than $600 otd. I have owned a Glock 21 and Ruger P90 previous to this. I loved both of them the "for me" that Ruger was as accurate a 45 as I have ever shot and if not for the magazine capacity, I would entertain owning one again. I couldnt kill that gun. Thanks for the input to this point. Keep it coming!

Guest JHatmaker

I personally would rather have an FNP over an XD or Glock (have owned all three and they're all good guns). I owned an FNP9 USG and it was an awesome gun, only reason I got rid of it was to put it towards an FN SCAR.

They make an all tan model in .45 that I would love to get. Great pistol, would not be disappointed.

FNP pistols and the newer FNX pistols are excellent and often overlooked firearms (much like the CZ pistols). I havent personally owned one, but my bro did for awhile till he got the itch for something else, and it was a tantastic pistol... his was a 9mm though.

I had my eye on a fnp9 for a long time. I finally bought one and sold it within a week. There are a lot better guns on the market. I didn't like the trigger, mags, or the feel when I fired it. I was not overly impressed with the accuracy either.

The .45 has a gigantic grip.

Curious. I picked up an FNP9 used and have to say it's a good shooter. Mine is reliably accurate once you get used to 6:00 sight position. I personally like a little bit of trigger pull so it seem pretty good to me.

Just goes to show, not every gun is for everybody. :puke:

FN is one of the premium manufactures. Made all of Brownings stuff for a while and still makes quite a bit of their stuff. A lot of the machine guns our military uses are FN products. That being said I had an FNP9 and loved it. Only reason i sold it was that I wanted a SA gun. I will be getting one of the FNX9 for my EDC as soon as money permits. FN also makes all of their US sold guns right here in the US.

FNH makes very good, quality products. They have implied lifetime warranties. I have a SCAR, FNP-45, and an FNAR. I have also owned a FNP-40, Fiveseven, and an FN TPS pump shotgun. Some of their products are unique designs like the SCAR and pistols, however others are tested designs from companies like Browning or Winchester which FN takes and modifies to make them more applicable to thier market.

I have nothing bad to say about anything I've owned from FN. They use a lot of Polymer in some of their guns, but it's high quality, lightweight, and functional.

As far as your .45 search....I think the FNP pistols are some of the most overlooked in the market. The FNP 45 I still own, and probably never get rid of is one of the best .45's I've ever shot. It is a large gun, not a carry gun at all, but I like having a lot to hold onto when shooting a .45. I really like it, and have nothing negative to say about it. All FN pistols come with 3 mags which is nice. And mine came with 2 14 round mags and one 15 rounder to clear up the discussion on page 1.

You're welcome to shoot mine if you would like. I go up to Norris pretty often.

I sold my XD45 to get the FNP 45. The XD was a nice gun, but after I shot the FNP 45 I am 100% sure I made the right decision. The XD compact was an optional carry piece which was nice, but FN is a much better combat pistol which is what I wanted. Plus with the FN's you get a 1911 style hammer and decocker...no lousy striker fire triggers to deal with.

Edited by Kenstaroni
FNH makes very good, quality products. They have implied lifetime warranties. I have a SCAR, FNP-45, and an FNAR. I have also owned a FNP-40, Fiveseven, and an FN TPS pump shotgun. Some of their products are unique designs like the SCAR and pistols, however others are tested designs from companies like Browning or Winchester which FN takes and modifies to make them more applicable to thier market.

I have nothing bad to say about anything I've owned from FN. They use a lot of Polymer in some of their guns, but it's high quality, lightweight, and functional.

As far as your .45 search....I think the FNP pistols are some of the most overlooked in the market. The FNP 45 I still own, and probably never get rid of is one of the best .45's I've ever shot. It is a large gun, not a carry gun at all, but I like having a lot to hold onto when shooting a .45. I really like it, and have nothing negative to say about it. All FN pistols come with 3 mags which is nice. And mine came with 2 14 round mags and one 15 rounder to clear up the discussion on page 1.

You're welcome to shoot mine if you would like. I go up to Norris pretty often.

Actually FN makes those FOR Browning and Winchester.

I know they own Browning and Winchester...lol....didn't feel like elaborating...just keeping it simple not to confuse the guy....lol....like my FNAR which is a Browning BAR rifle in tacticool clothing...plus a hammer forged barrel among other things...

Here's a run-down of FNH history...

Circa 1500 – Arms manufacture begins in Belgium. The Liege region soon becomes the epicenter of gunsmithing in Northern Europe.

1889 - Gunsmiths in Belgium’s Liege region form an association, Fabrique Nationale (FN), to fill an order from the Belgian military for 150,000 Mauser-licensed rifles. FN soon becomes a worldwide mark of absolute quality in small arms.

1897 – FN begins a decades-long partnership with America’s John Moses Browning, the most innovative firearms designer in modern history.

1899 – FN introduces the .32 caliber Browning Automatic Pistol, which becomes an instant success in civilian, law enforcement and military circles.

1900 – FN diversifies into production of automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles and other consumer goods.

1903 – FN begins production of the Browning Auto-5, the world’s first successful automatic shotgun.

1907 – FN begins official use of the Browning name in conjunction with their firearms.

1914 – FN produces the one millionth Browning Automatic Pistol.

1914 - FN arms factory is seized and occupied by the invading Germans for use as a hospital and vehicle repair facility.

1917 – The .30 caliber Model 1917 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) and .30 caliber Browning Model 1917 Machine Gun are adopted by the U.S. military. Both designs will remain in active U.S. military service for more than a half century..

1918 – John M. Browning develops the .50 caliber Browning Heavy Machine Gun at the request of U.S. General John J. “Black Jack” Pershing. Browning personally test-fires the prototype on 12 September. The .50 caliber Browning design remains in active U.S. military service today.

1919 – FN resumes small arms manufacture and design collaboration with John. M. Browning, who brings designs for his BAR, .30 and .50 caliber machine guns for FN to produce for the world military market.

1923 – John. M. Browning begins working with FN on the first prototypes of what would become the legendary Hi Power Automatic Pistol.

1926 – FN contracts to built the BAR for Polish military. John M. Browning suffers a fatal heart attack at the FN factory in Liege. His son Val Browning and assistant Dieudonne Saive continue developing small arms designs for FN.

1932 – FN adapts Browning machine gun designs for aircraft use.

1935 – FN introduces the Model 1935 Browning Hi Power, the world’s first successful high-capacity 9mm handgun. The pistol is quickly adopted by several Allied military forces. Over time it also becomes popular with law enforcement and special operations units and remains in production today.

1939 – FN celebrates its 50th anniversary.

1940- FN arms factory is again seized, occupied and integrated into the German war production effort. FN engineers including Dieudonne Saive flee to England, taking weapon blueprints with them to prevent their capture by the Germans.

1942-1945 – John M. Browning-designed automatic rifles, pistols and machine guns made by FN and many other manufacturers are critical to the war effort and are widely used by Allied ground, air and naval forces in every theater of the conflict.

1944 – FN factory stripped of much of its machinery by retreating Germans and then heavily damaged by their V1 buzz bombs and V2 rockets. Now liberated from German occupation, FN quickly assists the Allied war effort by building fuel cans and steel mud grips for tanks and tracked military vehicles.

1945 – FN refurbishes more than two million U.S. military small arms from the European Theater of Operations prior to their return to Allied war reserves.

1949 – FN introduces Model 1949 SAFN Semi-Automatic Infantry Rifle, and begins production of jet engines for military fighter aircraft.

1953 – FN assists in development of the 7.62x51mm cartridge and introduces the legendary FAL Light Automatic Rifle. Both are soon adopted by NATO.

1958 – FN introduces MAG 58 Medium Machine Gun firing the new 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge, and begins manufacture of the Uzi Submachine Gun in 9x19mm NATO under license from Israel.

1964 – FN celebrates 75th anniversary.

1968 – FN begins production of the LAC Light Automatic Carbine in 5.56x45mm NATO.

1977 – U.S. military adopts the FN MAG 58, designating it the M240. Variants of the M240 are soon adopted by all U.S. service branches.

1978 – FN develops the Quick Change Barrel (QCB) modification for the .50 M2HB Browning Heavy Machine Gun.

1980 – FN begins production of FNC 5.56x45mm NATO Selective Fire Carbine.

1981 – FN introduces SS109 Ball and L110 Tracer 5.56x45mm ammunition that are quickly adopted by both NATO and U.S. military, designating them as M855 and M856.

1982 – U.S. military adopts the FN MINIMI 5.56x45mm NATO Squad Automatic Weapon, designating it the M249 SAW. FN opens a plant in Columbia, South Carolina to build small arms for U.S. military.

1988 – FN becomes sole owner of Browning USA.

1989 – FN wins contract to produce M16 rifles for U.S. military at their plant in Columbia, South Carolina.

1990 – FN introduces innovative P90 Personal Defense Weapon and 5.7x28mm ammunition.

1991 – FN purchases U.S. Repeating Arms Company, maker of Winchester rifles and shotguns.

1998 - FN establishes FNH USA as their U.S. sales office.

2000 - FN introduces the bullpup F2000 Selective Fire Rifle.

2007 – FN SCAR is adopted by USSCOM as their next generation assault rifle system.

Edited by Kenstaroni
Guest CharlieMemphis

Never Had a Problem with an FN made 240 series machine gun or M-16A4 although I havent had an A4 in a while I got a Colt M4 that I wish I could take with me when I get out.

Has anyone got to shoot the FNP-45 tactical? Is it pretty much the same gun as the FNP-45 minus the threaded barrel? I had heard that FN will be producing the tactical version in black either later this year or early next year. I had said earlier that I might gid rid of my FNP-45 in the future due to not having a purpose for it. I have contemplated on trading it in for the black FNP-45 tactical when it comes available. I still won't have a purpose for it, but it looks really cool.

Has anyone got to shoot the FNP-45 tactical? Is it pretty much the same gun as the FNP-45 minus the threaded barrel? I had heard that FN will be producing the tactical version in black either later this year or early next year. I had said earlier that I might gid rid of my FNP-45 in the future due to not having a purpose for it. I have contemplated on trading it in for the black FNP-45 tactical when it comes available. I still won't have a purpose for it, but it looks really cool.

Yea one of my buddies bought one and we took it and shot it with his suppressor on it. It ran perfect.

As far as I know it is the same other than the threaded barrel, tan slide, raised night sights, and cut out for a doctor red dot. I didn't care about any of those things, so I decided I'd spend $600 instead of $1500 (with doctor sight). It is bad arse looking though!

• 6 months later...
Guest Houdani

Got mine last week and it's the new KING! Shoots as good as you CAN... Moderate recoil even when shooting Double Tap 185 grain JHP at 1225 fps. 300 rounds thru and perfect function. Ambi-saftey, and de-cocker, loaded chamber indicator. Da/Sa-great to have, with clean Sa trigger pull.I got mine at CDNN with the original shooters pack Model 47977-same as current Model 47577 matte black for $472 delivered to FFL. They might have a few left if you hurry! 1-800-588-9500 ask for Chuck, he gave me good service. Tell him Dan sent you. Be alert, and stay safe!

Guest PatriotCSA

I've got an FNX-40 which is a 14+1 capacity weapon. Came with *three* mags and four different backstraps. I've put about 500 rounds through it with absolutely zero malfunctions of any kind. Quick and easy to break down and clean. Very large front sight that makes target line up easy. It's also my carry gun and I trust it 100% for that job.

If I had the money, I'd buy other FN products in a heartbeat. Would love to have an FNP-45 Tactical. Just as a side note, I give brownie points to them for being so eager to manufacture John Browning's designs.