So I am getting rid of my Glock

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have carried a number of pistols over the last 15 years. I liked the Sig 228. It was reliable, accurate and fairly ergonomic. I wasn't crazy about the DA/SA or DAO only options. But it was a great gun. I traded that use of that for the P7M8. The most accurate combat pistol I have ever shot. The safety and trigger are fantastic. Ergonomics are fantastic. The biggest drawbacks are weight and capacity of 9mm.

I have carried a 1911 off and on and don't like the weight of the full or commander size, but love the accuracy, trigger and ergos.

I have carried the Glocks nearly as much as I carried my 228. I have carried the 27 and 23. I like the consistency of the triggers, though not necessarily the trigger actions. I love the weight and the durability. I dislike intensely the ergos. In fact all of my Glocks have had professionally done grip reductions on them. It changes them completely and makes them quite enjoyable to shoot. If it wasn't for the reductions done on them and the assortment of holsters and accessories I have accumulated for them I might have traded them for something else a while back.

Though there are nice things about several makes I wouldn't go them for carry because I do not trust them, such as Taurus. I have very little time with the M&P's, but the ones I have shot have been pretty good of late. Especially with the Apex trigger. If you read AAR's from some of the top trainers and training groups in the country you will notice many more M&P's and the reports are overwhelmingly favorable. Others I like greatly but not for carry, such as my Beretta 92.

My main carry gun is now the HK45c. It is perhaps the finest gun I have ever carried. The multitude of different trigger systems available make it extremely versatile. It can be carried C&L and has a decocker. It is very ergonomic. I prefer the 45c to the 45 as it is nearly the exact same size as my G23. The full size was heavily influenced with the design from Vickers and Hackathorne. I have fired several thousand rounds through it w/o a single hiccup. The backstraps are changeable. The 45 is of course a great round. The only drawback is the capacity, which is the same as the full cap 1911.

If I was to get another pistol right now to complement my HK45C it would be the HK P30. Many of the same features as the 45C, with a high cap 9mm framework. Before you commit to anything I would certainly consider the HK's and M&P's.

Edited by Warbird

Thanks, even before I bought the Colt I called a 1911 guru of mine I have known for a while. He lives in NC and we met overseas while doing what we do. I sent him pictures as well as the price. His response was buy it and if I didn't like it he would gladly give me more that I paid for it so I know I won't lose any money on it either way. I am going to Gunkote it to make the finish more uniform I just haven’t decided on color. I will also install an extended slide stop and magazine release to make them easier to reach. I already removed the Hogue grips and replaced the trigger. I replaced the grips with simulated ivory to make the gun thinner and keep the soft rubber from snagging. I am still not sure whether I like the grip color or not but they are definitely thinner than the Hogue grips.

I did look at various H&K's. I like them but they seemed a bit bulky, which was another reason I was getting rid of my Glock. I didn't even give the M&P a thought, mostly because I am getting away from the striker pistols. I was considering the Taurus 24/7 for a few reasons. First is the extra barrel length as well as the ability to restrike a round if you have a FTF. In the end I thought about it and with modern ammunition being what it is I felt the odds of having a FTF are remote enough not to warrant purchasing a pistol with the ability to restrike the primer, including the Taurus. I still like it a lot and may actually push my wife to get one to replace her Sigma. Her biggest complaint is the trigger pull, when first purchased she was happy with it but now that she has fired several other guns she realizes the trigger sucks.

Dolomite

My first choice would be to go back to the 1911, a Commander or Officer model. Not sure what you're going to find there in 9mm, and quite honestly I don't know that I would trust a 9mm 1911 for carry. I'd stick with the .45 acp. If you're really wanting 9mm, I'd look at the Baretta M9.

My first choice would be a 1911 in 45 acp or 9mm. The Beretta M9 may be a good choice as well.