gunsmith around nashville

I have an RRA Lar 8 Varmit I need some work on.

I need to have the barrel re-threaded to 5/8 x 24. it is already threaded but it is a little larger than that. Looks to be 11/16" by a rough measure. Does anyone know if that is enough room to take it down to 5/8?

Also i need to have the gas port larger. I purchased this from a guy that cut the barrel down to 16" from 26" and it doesnt seem to have enough barrel to get the gas back. It fires the round and then it sticks in the chamber. Lube the round and it will cycle once.

Neat little gun and would make a great host for my can if I can get it to work right.

any suggestions on a smith around here? preferably one that is accustomed to the AR platform.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

You will have .0625 to work with in down sizing your treads if it is exactly 11/16ths.

Some things to consider on your port issue....

Barrel Length (in) Barrel Diameter (in) Distance from Muzzle (in) Min Port Size (in) Max Port Size (in)

I'm not versed enough to know what the port diameter should be but if you find out I can do it. I have found quite a bit of info on 5.56 port diameters but nothing on .308 (assuming that yours is .308 from what I can tell/remember on your model).

Thanks Guntroll, I am not exact on the measurment on the threads. It is rough from a tape.

The barrel length is 16 cut back from 26. I would have to measure all the rest. I was told to increase the port about .003 at a time until it worked. I purchased this toy forn a guy that had all of this done already and said he wasn't having any problems with cycling, but he ran it suppressed. If my can would fit I feel as if it would work. But, I want it to work with or with out the can. He has been great and offered to give the money back or pay for any work that had to be done.

Can you do the port and the threading?

Where are you located?

Unless your gas block already has an oversized inlet, your going to have to get that drilled as well. Be very careful at the L junction where the gas tube enters. Go to far and I think you could get leakage around the tube and your back to buying another gas block. This will be interesting so post up what you do and find out.

Do they even make an adjustable block yet for the .308 barrels? I would think they do, never looked. That might be your go to option if they open up enough and you just open the port on the barrel.

Sorry for the rambling, was basically thinking and typing at the same time.

I will try to keep the progress posted.

I will give more details so it might help others as well getting some help for myself

It is a RRA LAR 8 varmit. It originally had the 26" heavy barrel. The first owner cut it back to 16" and threaded it for his can. He added an adjustable gas block also. Once I get with a smith I will post specifics on sizes and distance. He said he has shot it with a can and without and had no problems. It didn't cycle when I shot the first shot and hasn't since except when I lubed the round. He has been great about helping and has offered to give me my money back. I love the rifle so he is taking care of any repairs.

Thanks for the help so far.

First off, cutting it from 26" to 16" shouldn't make a difference really.

However, the adjustable gas block might be your problem. I have had a MSAR STG and a FAL do what yours is doing first time I shot them.

Turns out the setting was wrong on the gas plug.

Try that first. He might have had it set on the wrong one when you got it.

First off, cutting it from 26" to 16" shouldn't make a difference really.

However, the adjustable gas block might be your problem. I have had a MSAR STG and a FAL do what yours is doing first time I shot them.

Turns out the setting was wrong on the gas plug.

Try that first. He might have had it set on the wrong one when you got it.

This. :popcorn: Sounds like the gas port is set wrong. Have you tried adjusting it?