hey guys! revolver question..

Guest Fwdftw

Guest Fwdftw

Just picked up a used taurus 85.. and well this thing is DIRTY! got a helluva deal and it shoots fine just been carried alot. Here is two pictures of it!

My question is the catch is so gunked up and dirty how should i clean!

4d3b6d5f.jpg

204340c7.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disassemble it as far as you feel comfortable, and clean like you would any other gun. Solvent, and pipe cleaners or cotton swabs to get into the smaller areas. Maybe an old toothbrush?

If it's just dirt down in there, you might 'boil' it out with hydrogen peroxide. I've never done it, but I think it would work.

Take the grips off, go over it good with a good solvent and a tooth brush. Just wipe it down and brush the bore and chambers. Swab them out good. Go after it with some Walmart Brake Cleaner or Gun Scrubber. Dry her off good and oil her up. Replace grips. Should be fine from there. For SS some use steel wool or scotch brite on the front of the cylinder. I do not do that. It is not new nor will it ever be. Shoot it and enjoy.

When I said replace grips, I meant put your grips back on after removing them for cleaning. As for replacement grips, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. For smallest size try Pachs or uncle Mikes. The stock grips may be small enough. But for shoot-ability, I like Hogues.

If you are concerned about the burn rings around the front of the cylinder, you can use a Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth that they sell at gun stores and big outdoor stores...its about $5 and works great...it really makes the end of cylinder look like it's never been fired. I would be careful about what you use on the coated aluminum. I would probably go with Hoppes #9 and then some light gun oil. And of course, use the Hoppes with patches/brushes in the cylinder and barrel...toothbrush with Hoppes around the inside of the frame, forcing cone, etc. You can also use the Lead Removal cloth around the forcing cone and interior of the frame. I always finish up with light oil on patches through the cylinder and barrel.

Good luck...I think you'll love carrying that gun. Probably won't be much fun to shoot with potent loads because it is so light, but that's the way they are. B

Invest in the AGI Video on Taurus Revolvers from Midway or Brownells. It gives you full scoop on cleaning and minor repair work for your revolver. I have one Taurus, an 85 ULBH and I keep it up just as much as my S&Ws. Revolvers need to be cleaned and inspected just as much as Autos. You don't have to field strip them after every firing, but they still need to be taken down and thoroughly cleaned at least annually. I have the AGI videos for every type of gun I own and the videos are worth their weight in gold! All guns need TLC and if you can't do it you should take them to an armorer or gunsmith that can. As an old USMC Armorer, I can also tell you that you need to inspect the working parts of your guns regularly if you rely on them for protection. I don't care how much it cost originally, it can break, especially in the smaller parts. Many times irregular wear patterns will tell you trouble is coming before you sense it on the range.

Edited by wjh2657

You will need to clean the cylinder pin. The ejector rod will unscrew, reverse thread (Small channel locks), There are three springs in the cylinder. One comes out with the rod, the second comes out before the locking pin and the third on stays in. If the center pin gets dirty it will get stuck in the "in" position. If this happens the cylinder will not lock up and the gun will not fire. The center pin must be clean so it sticks out and latches into the frame. Unsrew the ejector rod, tip it so that the center pin spring falls out, push the center pin out, then clean with solvent and a pipe cleaner. Check for corrosion on damage. Then reinstall. I have an M85UL and this is one of the problems I have. It is easy enough to fix rather than sending it back for warrenty repairs. Other than that and the sloppy cylinder, my M85 is an good revolver. I put a crimson trace laser grip on it and shoot 125gr SJHP +P ammo. It will put 5, center mass, at 21 feet.

Edited by Will Carry