Sig 522 & M&P 15-22 thread

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Did a search and didn't find any dedicated threads discussing both so I thought I'd strike one up.

Recently wanted a fun little .22lr AR styled rig to run & gun with and use as a family gun that all could shoot easily and cheaply. Agonized for days between the S&W M&P 15-22 and the Colt, didn't have the slightest clue Sig Sauer actually made a .22lr modeled after their own model 556 until I saw a Nutnfancy review on youtube about the 522. He absolutely loved it and I respect his reviews, so I did my research as always, heard glowing review after glowing review. I held the S&W and remembered how light it was, almost too light for my tastes and made 100% out of polymer, the Sig definitely felt meatier as it is not 100% polymer but has a metal upper. Regardless, I've had 900 flawless rapid fire rounds out of my 522 with a variety of ammo, not ammo picky at all. Paid $390 for the Sig on GB. The S&W's had an early issue with exploding extractors but S&W has since resolved the issue. I don't think a person could go wrong with either and I've heard great things about both. Chime in with your experiences here and let us know what you think.

Sig 522 with a $99 Primary Arms M3 multi reticle red dot. This optic is absolutely AMAZING for $99 and the owner is the best in the business at shipping and CS. Give them a try, you can't beat the optic for the price.

DSC05059.jpg?t=1281617942

This was a 50 round string at 25 yrds, steady fire, not rapid but not slow either.

DSC05128.jpg?t=1281618779

Edited by Glocked-N-Loaded
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both are great fun guns, the sig feels like a real gun as you said and the M & P is a great copy of the AR very light and fun. which why she pick the M & P. the M & P mags are a lot easier to load.

the sig uses the black dog mag.

you can not go wrong with either

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Very true. Although the S&W mags are proprietary, they do have that handy assist. I like that the bolt is help open on the last round in the S&W just like it's full sized .223 brother. The Sig is held open by the mag follower, not a big deal but would have been nice to have a dedicated bolt hold. Either way, mucho fun to be had and although I prefer and would recommend the Sig, I recommend everyone check out these 2 and decide between one. Very cheap to fire and loads of fun. I had forgotten how fun a .22 could be.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

1250 flawless rounds, mixed bag of Federal bulk, Remington Golden Bullet, and CCI's, 600 rounds without a cleaning. Man I love this gun!

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

What do you think about that PA M4? Same as the M3 except it has the spacer and solid body mount correct? I've yet to hear a bad thing about Marsh or his business. I still may splurge on a M&P 15-22 as my 11 yr old liked it pretty well because of the extremely light weight but thought the Sig felt more solid and rugged. 2 is 1, 1 is none I always say! :)

I had a hard time deciding b/w the Sig 522 and the S&W M&P 15-22, but I went the other way.

My short-sighted reason at first was the lack of optics on the 522, but I went right out and bought a scope anyway.

After nearly 1500 rounds, I'm glad I went with the S&W. It shoots and handles well and I love the quad rail.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

The exploding extractor issues I believe it was seem to have been resolved by S&W and I've been hearing nothing but good lately coming from the S&W fans out there. It definitely is lighter but a good margin and as said before, I do like the mirrored AR controls and the bolt holding open on the last round. I've heard reports of the M&P being a little ammo finicky which is completely the opposite with the Sig, it eats everything happily. I'll likely end up with the Smith as well just for kicks.

I've heard reports of the M&P being a little ammo finicky which is completely the opposite with the Sig, it eats everything happily. I'll likely end up with the Smith as well just for kicks.

Not sure how typical my experience is, but mine eats everything so far. The manual lists a dozen or so lines of ammo that are known to be good for feeding. It also warns to avoid subsonic rounds.

I'd love to run into a 522 owner at the range, so we can trade off for a few mags. My 13 yr old daughter wants one and I'd prefer to try something new over buying a duplicate, ya know? I tried offering her a Cricket rifle now, since they are cheap, but she just rolled her eyes and said, "PLEASE, that's no fun."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest XD9GUY

Have had a 522 for about a month now and have run close to a 1000 rounds thru it. It is really a blast to shoot. It eats anything, Federal and Winchester bulk, Remington Goldens, even some 30 year old stuff. Not even a blip. Added a BSA Red Dot and it will drive tacks. Also bought a couple of extra Mags and can practice quick load and change out for some tactical practice. Just an all round fun gun to shoot. you can't go wrong if you get one.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Bought one of the 50 rnd drum mags from Midway for $60, got it Tuesday, runs like a champ. Again TAI, I'd be happy to let you and your daughter run mine anytime, just send a PM and we'll try and work it out.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded
I'm with you. I absolutely love my 522. I've got the Primary Arms Comp M4 clone on mine. I wouldn't trade it for any other "AR-22" on the market.

Meant to ask you MK, does yours have "SIG 522, Sig Sauer Inc. Exeter NH USA" on the left side of the upper? Mine does not. Was curious as to the difference.

Meant to ask you MK, does yours have "SIG 522, Sig Sauer Inc. Exeter NH USA" on the left side of the upper? Mine does not. Was curious as to the difference.

Just checked mine and it does. Not sure why one would have it and one wouldn't. Curious to know if you find out.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Called Sig and talked to a "Mark" I believe it was. He said he hadn't the faintest idea but that the earlier ones likely had it and the later ones likely didn't to save a couple of steps in production. Seemed reasonable to me until a guy at rimfirecentral said his was born in April 2010 like mine and it had it.

DSC05136.jpg?t=1283218222

I was at Palmetto State Armory on Saturday. I looked at he 522 and the 15-22. I went with the 15-22 due to the adjustable stock and sights. They were both priced well. The 522 came with two barrels for some reason and no sights. I bought the 15-22 for my little ones which I think will fit them better due to the stock.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

The Sig has an adjustable stock as well. The 2 barrels you saw were the standard one that comes with every Sig 522 and the other was a heavy barrel, 20 inch I believe. For what reason I do not know but Sig apparently is known for throwing out limited runs and not informing their CS dept. so if you call, they probably wouldn't know a thing about it.

The Sig has an adjustable stock as well. The 2 barrels you saw were the standard one that comes with every Sig 522 and the other was a heavy barrel, 20 inch I believe. For what reason I do not know but Sig apparently is known for throwing out limited runs and not informing their CS dept. so if you call, they probably wouldn't know a thing about it.

All the SIG 522 I looked at all had a folding stock. Not the same adjustable amount for length of pull the M&P had. But the M&P felt much lighter and easier to control for my little ones.

Edited by R1100R
Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

The Sig not only has a folding stock but also 3 position adjustable stock with 1 1/2 inches of total adjustment. Probably not as much as the Smith I give you that and yes, the Smith is lighter, a good deal lighter.

Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Welp, have to send it back to Sig. Apparently the CS rep who called me back said he talked to the engi's, the smiths, and the ATF compliance rep, and said it needs to come back due to firearms needing a rollmark or some identifying marking on the firearm.