run amuck(sp). It's the typical answer from a liberal on how to

fix the country's woes.

This came from one of my favorite bloggers; SERR8D

his title is "America goes dark: Paul Krugman realizes

now that Atlas is Shrugging". Ayn Rand hit it out of the

park with her books and this is a good example of what

is happening that she foretold in 1957. And she did a

good job describing people like Krugman. Read the book

and figure which character fits Krugman.

Edited by 6.8 AR
add
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/opinion/09krugman.html?_r=1

It's just an article about liberals and Keynesian economics

run amok(sp). It's the typical answer from a liberal on how to

fix the country's woes.

This came from one of my favorite bloggers; SERR8D

his title is "America goes dark: Paul Krugman realizes

now that Atlas is Shrugging". Ayn Rand hit it out of the

park with her books and this is a good example of what

is happening that she foretold in 1957. And she did a

good job describing people like Krugman. Read the book

and figure which character fits Krugman.

I'm assuming the character you're referring to is Bertram Scudder.

The interesting thing about "these times" is that they are much more like those described in the book, than people realize.

It has become easy for people to note the government is very similar to that we are experiencing today, but what is more interesting is how business is also mirroring that of the book.

Since we have been in this recession of the last two years, I assumed that businesses that want to to exchange my money for their products would be eager to provide better service or higher quality than that of times pre-recession. I unfortunately have been sorely disappointed. It seems that our products and services are actually declining. Delivery times on goods is actually increasing.

I bought a sofa recently that was to take 3 weeks for delivery but actually took 3 months, with everyone claiming they "can't get the material", "it's not my fault", "i didn't make that decision and no, I don't know who does or who can". But it has been that way on virtually every product and service that I has sought, of late. Businesses are complaining about not getting the work, but can't seem to actually make the products and can only tell us they're doing "the best they can".

I am coming to the conclusion that Atlas is shrugging and that unless we get back to the old ways and "put the car in reverse", we shall not survive. Shockingly, I'm not sure we deserve to, anymore. I'm also not sure I want to continue to help a government and an economy use me against myself anymore, either. I don't want to give them another victim or another tool against other victims.

So, if you're flying over the mountains of Colorado and you look down and see a canyon that looks too deep or inaccessible for any man or vehicle, and you haven't heard from me for awhile, you might just assume that I'm there.

Edited by tntnixon

I think this sums his "piece" up nicely.

But isn’t keeping taxes for the affluent low also a form of stimulus? Not so you’d notice. When we save a schoolteacher’s job, that unambiguously aids employment; when we give millionaires more money instead, there’s a good chance that most of that money will just sit idle.

These are the same people who think it is a good thing to rack up 100k in student loans for a 40K job. If you don't produce more than you use you can not be sustained. That is true for all levels.

Guest 6.8 AR

Bertram Scudder would fit that bill right nicely:D

This could easily have been a "Name your character" thread.

tnt, you exposed an Orren Boyle with your sofa purchase. Nice touch!

I think this sums his "piece" up nicely.

These are the same people who think it is a good thing to rack up 100k in student loans for a 40K job. If you don't produce more than you use you can not be sustained. That is true for all levels.

I work with a girl who is a nurse. Both she and her husband (a teacher) got both their Bachelor's and Master's degrees from a local and very prominant private university (on student loans) because their couselors told them that "an education of that level couldn't be replaced with money". So off to the student loan offices they went, and low and behold they have a financial hole that they will never be able to climb out of.

I asked her why their families didn't object and she said that they had but neither she or her husband listened. She said that she trusted her couselor more because of her academic background. My response was "If your mothers and fathers wouldn't pay for it even though they had the resources, that was a clue!!!!"

Guest CrazyLincoln

These people remind me of "Smart" by Shel Silverstein:

My dad gave me one dollar bill

'Cause I'm his smartest son,

And I swapped it for two shiny quarters

'Cause two is more than one!

And then i took the quarters

And traded them to Lou

For three dimes-i guess he don't know

that three is more than two!

Just them, along came old blind Bates

And just 'cause he can't see

He gave me four nickels for my three dimes,

And four is more than three!

And i took the nickels to Hiram Coombs

Down at the seed-feed store,

and the fool gave me five pennies for them,

And five is more than four!

And then i went and showed my dad,

and he go red in the cheeks

And closed his eyes and shook his head-

Too proud of me to speak!

Whatever credibility Krugman once had as an academic and Nobel Prize-winner has long since faded. He's just another self-identified elite who hopes that his statolatry (like idolatry, but - well, you know) continues to pay well.

His unrequited love-letters to the president are embarassing, but he'll press on. It's the nature of useful idiots, after all.

I wish I could find a Dagny Taggart out there. I just keep looking.

At this point, I'd much rather find a John Galt. I'm coming to the conclusion that we will never recover until we are truly brought to our knees.

I had a 103 year old patient in December of 1999 (she missed seeing 3 different centuries by a mere 3 days by passing away on December 29th, 1999). She was quite possibly the wisest young lady I have ever had the privilege to have met.

I asked her about all the changes she had seen in her lifetime and she gave me some pretty startling revelations. Her most poignant point was that she had seen "times like these" before in her life. She was actually an adult during the 1920's and recalled that those years were "just as bad as it is now". She recalled the gang violence, the drugs and alcohol issues, the immediate gratification mindset and the lack of general morality that existed during those years. Then she said something that I'll always remember, "It took The Great Depression and a World War to put this country back on track. God help us if that's what it takes to get us back on track again".

Guest 6.8 AR

Ah, that was just a romantic thought. I agree with you. Any of the good guys in

the book would be difficult to find, nowadays.

The one who impressed me most, in the book, is still Hank Rearden. I can't

say exactly why, but he just refused to accept cynicism and continued to

achieve, regardless of what was thrown at him. Dagny did that, too, and

for the same reasons.

Guest 6.8 AR

But egos the size of Krugman would always be glad

to take credit for someone else's value, wouldn't he?

That was rhetorical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It took The Great Depression and a World War to put this country back on track. God help us if that's what it takes to get us back on track again".

Wow, powerful quote from someone who lived through them both...

Guest 6.8 AR
Krugman is definitely Dr. Floyd Ferris.

Maybe. They had similar personalities and politics. What about George Soros

being the head of Friends of Global Progress. Or should that one be John Podesta?

Cass Sundstein might be more of a Floyd Ferris. Now I'm going to have to read

it again. ;)

There are too many that could fit in too many places right now. Way, too many.

Bill Clinton could be Mr. Thompson. They could be twins.