Buying guns at pawn Shops?

Guest uofmeet

Can you buy a gun as a pawn shop?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Can you buy a gun as a pawn shop?

• Just make sure you check it out
    • No way, I would never do that.
    • Other; please explain

I haven't read any of the responses on here but i'm sure alot of them say about the same thing. I like the newness of guns myself and don't buy used very often, I don't have anything against it though. If something stuck out and I wanted it I would probably buy it. If I was at a pawn shop and something looked nice and sounded like a good deal the first thing I would do is make sure I was at least somewhat familiar with that guns operation. If I wasn't too familiar I would be in short order, just about everyone has internet access on their phones and I would google 'whatever kind of gun' and proper function checks, or something along those lines. I'd respectively ask to field strip the gun, perform some function tests and that would do it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what you're looking at, or be prepared to overpay. Its the same as any other line of business. I have purchased a good portion of my guns from pawn shops over the years. I still enjoy pawnshopping on my days off looking for "deals"!

I prefer my guns new from the shop or like new. I don't trust people to maintain their guns like I do. I am very anal about my guns.

This is the best advise I've seen on this thread. the only way I'd buy a used firearm is from a gunshop that will give you a warranty or from someone I trust.

I've bought several guns from a local pawn shop in downtown Memphis. In fact, I drop by from time to time just to see what they have taken in. The 15th of the month is when they put stuff out that people have not come in to claim, so usually I stop by a few days before and just ask if they have anything interesting coming out on the 15th. Sort of like buying a used car. The guys I buy from have always been on the up and up. They're always competitive on new guns and now that I've been going in there for a year or so, they recognize me and will deal a little on some of the guns, both new and used. I understand both sides of the issue, but I've been in there enough now that I know them as well as some of the guys at the other local gun shops and feel just as comfortable shopping there.

That being said, the folks I've bought from on here are all first rate great guys. I'd always buy here first if I could find what I was looking for.

A lot of Pawn Shops are new gun dealers as well so don't count them out just because it says "pawn shop" on the door. I have found great deals on old guns at pawn shops in the past . I have seen deals in pawn shops such as an Italian O/U at a pawn shop in near mint condition I saw last spring was priced about 400 dollars less than its value in the book. Had my wife not gotten to my Tax refund before me it would be sitting in my case as we speak.

A lot of Pawn Shops are new gun dealers as well so don't count them out just because it says "pawn shop" on the door. I have found great deals on old guns at pawn shops in the past . I have seen deals in pawn shops such as an Italian O/U at a pawn shop in near mint condition I saw last spring was priced about 400 dollars less than its value in the book. Had my wife not gotten to my Tax refund before me it would be sitting in my case as we speak.

Prime example of this is Classic Pawn that used to have stores in Chattanooga, TN and Chickamauga, GA. Classic pawn sold literally thousands of guns brand new. They ran the gun shows and none of their competitors would touch their prices. Guns or ammo. The guy got rich and closed up shop for the good life.

Amen to that ,esp in Memphis -

have to chime in with an agreeing nod. I have actually seen very used guns in pawn shops for MORE than they go for new, on many occassions. ETA: In Memphis. I have also noticed that many pawn shops here are not willing to negotiate prices at all. I HAVE seen good deals in other places when I've travelled.

Edited by robbiev
Guest Curmudgeon

Most every pawn shop I've been in from Jefferson City to Morristown has guns which are overpriced. I've commented several times to my wife after leaving a pawn shop that I don't know how they can be selling any guns because I can find new ones cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) than they're selling used ones for.

Guest johnsuttontn

Most of the time,for me anyway,guns in pawn shops are way overpriced. Most of the time they want new retail for a 4 year old gun. If you do find a good buy anywhere, without a doubt purchase away. Guns dont lose there value. Good investments.

I've bought some interesting stuff in pawn shops. The fact is that I buy stuff that a lot of people don't know about or care about. I'm as likely to buy a gun from a pawn shop as anywhere else. I'll buy a gun in a whore house if the price is right.

Guest Billetproof

The problem with buying a gun at a pawn shop here in Michigan is usually the price, they want more for it than most guns shops or individuals.

The over priced problem you see at a lot of pawn shops on used guns is that pawn shops usually loan money on half the value they estimate they can resell for. If they over estimate the price or the gun in question becomes available at a lower price new then the gun becomes over priced on their shelf .

I.E. super wombat .45 loaded speed racer extreme lists for $2500 new

you bring it in to pawn and it's in mint condition so the pawn broker thinks to himself I can get $2200 for it and gives you $1100 for it on pawn .Well time rocks on and you don't get it out of hock .Well during this time super wombat comes out with the loaded speed racer extreme II before the blue books have had a chance to adjust . and it lists for $2500 which drives the price down of the original to say $2000 so now the pawn shop has a used pistol on his shelf that he is trying to sell for more than you can get one new somewhere else . Most pawn shops that deal heavily with guns are usually cognizant of this and should adjust their prices accordingly to stay competitive but sadly a lot of them do not put that kind of time in to keeping their guns correctly priced in the ballpark . Which brings another problem with Pawn shops in general they use the list price to determine the value which usually is off from market price .

So I guess the moral of the story "buyer beware"

Guest Letereat!

The key is checking regularly and being prepared to buy or at least toss em 20 bucks to hold it for a month. If you only drop by once a month or two, your chances of scoring a deal tubes. I've seen plenty of $200.00 enfields...nagants for $125.00 or less and decent mausers. SKS's with the composite hunting stock for 225. If its got a busted firing pin or something else small you can jack 50 to 25 more bucks off. Make a couple of pawn shops a weekly or biweekly stop and eventually the killer deal will be there when u are. Its a numbers game.

Guest VolGrad

Just make sure you check out the condition VERY closely and just as important know what the actual new and used value is of the firearm in question. You prob WON'T get a deal just because you are shopping at a pawn shop. It has been my experience pawn shops like to try to get retail OR MORE for their guns. I guess some people really don't know how to shop and will pay it.