Can you buy a gun as a pawn shop?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Can you buy a gun as a pawn shop?

• Just make sure you check it out
    • No way, I would never do that.
    • Other; please explain

Guest uofmeet

is it ok, as long as you check it out?

or no way, buy it used or from a reputable dealer?

Just a little curious. My wife and I only have one hand gun per person and I think that is way to few guns. Just thinking about ways of getting a few more guns without wiping out our savings.

Thinking I might want to get a revolver. Bu either way, I want more guns.....Can never have to many....can you?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hear about awesome pawn shop scores, but I've never seen a good deal on a gun at one. Then again, I don't exactly go to pawn shops often. I'd say buying used at a pawn shop would be no different from buying from an individual or any other shop. You just need to know what you're looking at.

I agree that you should get an idea of what you want and post a WTB add or see if one is available. To find what you like hang around the local range or get together with a member and shoot theirs first. I can get a better price at my LGS on a good used gun than at a pawn shop and I know my Pusher has test fired it before offering it to me. For a revolver I would suggest a nice 357 in 4 or 6 inch barrel unless you will be carrying it concealed. With a 357 you can always shoot 38spcl

Guest 6.8 AR

The times I have looked in pawn shops was usually

for something else. I make my way to the guns and

mostly see overpriced stuff and don't bother. That's

in Clarksville, anyway. A lot of pawn shops have been

bought out and become chains, and I don't think it was

a good thing.

Guest Major Pain

Got a good buddy that owns a pawn shop near me and he calls if something comes in that I might be interested in. I have bought several guns from him and always got a good deal or at least me were both happy.--MP

Guest Keinengel

I've seen equally terrible deals at gun dealers and pawn shops. Research what you want and have a prince range in mind before you walk into the store other wise you are likely to get screwed regardless of where you are shopping. The guys on here always have good deals posted and I've done several deals with them so far and have had great results.

Just thinking about ways of getting a few more guns without wiping out our savings.

In the last few years “Good Deals†on used guns are pretty few and far between. If they are a good price many people snatch them up and relist them.

Always compare what you are paying for used with what new would cost from a reputable dealer. You wouldn’t pay new price for a used car; don’t do it with guns.

Guest Plainsman

I don't think I"ve ever seen anything close to a good deal at any pawn shop. Granted they may really come down on the price if you begin to negotiate with them, but I've never even bothered. Why would I pay $225 for a used 10/22 when I could go to Wal-Mart and buy one brand new for $209? Never made any sense to me.

Major Pain:

That is the secret. If you know the GSO/ LGSO/ PSO you tend to get first dibs on good deals and first call when the latest GOTTA HAVE comes in if you displayed an interest in the item. My pesher and I have come to an agreement. I provide cash and he finds toys and that is working nicely but my experience with Pawn Shops has not been the best. The exception being one in Kentucky I will stop in again if I am going by to look at long guns.

I need to add I have had the same experience with Local Gun Shops in different regions of E Tenn. But then I did not know the owner.

There is always going to a gun show with someone who knows what to look for and how to deal.

Edited by Desert Rat

there is nothing wrong with buying from pawn shops. Anytime you buy anything you ought to have a fair idea of what it is worth and what it will cost.

I got a fair deal on a 12 gauge pump once and a real good deal on a .22 rifle.

it is kind of silly to make a blanket statement against pawn shops.

Guest HvyMtl

Knowledge is key. You must know general things. Like what to look for wear wise. What the values of the firearms are, etc. I have had friends walk in and find mil surp rifles mis-marked and well under priced.

Then you can find a Jimenez pistol for $500... It is hit or miss.

I have never seen a good deal or a good price at a pawn shop.

Look where you live.... :dropjaw:

I've purchased a Ruger P89 that really looked new for $285 out the door, a 3rd Gen Glock 19 for $375 that looked like it had been holstered but not shot and a few smaller ignorant items like a Jennings J-22 for $75 and a Chiappa 1911-22 for $275 NIB.

There are good deals out there......just have to find them.

there is nothing wrong with buying from pawn shops. Anytime you buy anything you ought to have a fair idea of what it is worth and what it will cost.

I got a fair deal on a 12 gauge pump once and a real good deal on a .22 rifle.

it is kind of silly to make a blanket statement against pawn shops.

+1 I have made several great deals at pawn shops over the years. We have a couple in Chattanooga that have better new gun prices than any local gun store and they will still negotiate.

Here at Fort there aren't many good gun shops. They are very high on prices. I met a Lady who runs a pawn/gun shop and she has given me some great deals. She does transfers for 20.00 out the door. She is also great on the eyes !!! lol

Look where you live.... :D

I've purchased a Ruger P89 that really looked new for $285 out the door, a 3rd Gen Glock 19 for $375 that looked like it had been holstered but not shot and a few smaller ignorant items like a Jennings J-22 for $75 and a Chiappa 1911-22 for $275 NIB.

There are good deals out there......just have to find them.

:dropjaw: I am going to request the same ban for Memphis bashing that you get for cop bashing.:D:D:D:D On second thought there would be no one left here but me.

I dunno, Memphis may be a hell hole but all I really know about it from a couple of nights near ten years ago and what I read here. I am guessing it is like most major metro areas, riddled with crime and generally a lot less safe than podunk towns like Knoxville. Of course there are places here that are riddled with crime. Okay well generally all of Knoville has crime issues. Seems the more they pack people into a place the crime goes up. Memphis has way more people so there is way more crime.

And what fun would TN be if we could not crack on memphis?

Other; please explain

No impulse buys, you'll get hosed.

If I see something that I might want, I get the specs (what is it, who makes it, accessories, etc.) and what they want for it and leave.

I will then go somewhere (home, office, library, trusted gun store, etc.) and do research (internet, asking questions to an expert) on it and find out exactly what it is and what it is worth in its condition as applicable to the item in question. If the pawn shop is in a decent price range, you have some haggle room and can proceed with negotiations. If you know what real world pricing is for what it is, you now know when to walk away and when to jump on it.

Pawn shops are experts in buying low and selling high, or they won't be in business long. With that in mind, you know going in that they have some wiggle room, how much depends on how they did on the front end, and they won't tell you.

If you have a "favorite" pawn shop, even if you don't buy anything for a while, going in and becoming familiar to the staff and building a repore with them always helps on getting a deal later down the road.

I have bought stuff from pawn shops at a good/great price, and have walked away from deals that weren't so good.

Sorry for rambling................:D