Question about posting

Guest RichieRich

Guest RichieRich

Hello. I'm struggling with the legal mumbo jumbo about what is required for an establishment to make a legal posting. If a black and white answer has been posted (aside from the legal stuff, which I am having a tough time understanding), accept my apologies in advance.

As I read the TN law, it appears that a legal posting has to have EITHER:

1) "AS AUTHORIZED BY TCA § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE" (or its equivalent)

-or-

2) a red circle/slash gun sign

At a minimum including all entrances.

Question: if someone just posts "no guns" (that's it) at the front door, or posts this required stuff in the building (not including the entrance), then it's legal to carry?

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I'm struggling with the legal mumbo jumbo about what is required for an establishment to make a legal posting. If a black and white answer has been posted (aside from the legal stuff, which I am having a tough time understanding), accept my apologies in advance.

As I read the TN law, it appears that a legal posting has to have EITHER:

1) "AS AUTHORIZED BY TCA § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE" (or its equivalent)

-or-

2) a red circle/slash gun sign

At a minimum including all entrances.

Question: if someone just posts "no guns" (that's it) at the front door, or posts this required stuff in the building (not including the entrance), then it's legal to carry?

Thanks.

I'd say your assessment of the statute is accurate enough.

However, there are no guarantees that if charged (and you'd likely be the first one ever) you'd be exonerated. Judge could always say, well, you didn't understand the intent of the property owner?

I mention this because our esteemed AG has given an opinion that you could still be found guilty of carrying in a municipal park where the city/county had banned carry, even if the park was not posted AT ALL (even though the statute says it must be, and even spells out exact wording and size of signage).

- OS

Guest RichieRich
However, there are no guarantees that if charged (and you'd likely be the first one ever) you'd be exonerated. Judge could always say, well, you didn't understand the intent of the property owner?

I mention this because our esteemed AG has given an opinion that you could still be found guilty of carrying in a municipal park where the city/county had banned carry, even if the park was not posted AT ALL (even though the statute says it must be, and even spells out exact wording and size of signage).

- OS

Very thoughtful perspective. Thanks. I continue to learn so much from this group.

Yep, unfortunately there is no black and white answers on the law many times....especially firearms laws.

They tried to make 39-17-1359 more clear, but I don't think they did a very good job.

But basically you and OS are right.

There are plenty of signs that don't meet the requirements of 39-17-1359 but that doesn't mean a judge wouldn't still find you guilty.