Range USA Consignment

I placed a firearm into consignment at Range USA which sold on 7/6/10 due to an ad I placed on TNGunOwners.com

I have a contract which states that "Once the firearm has sold the seller may experience a delay of up to 30 days to receive the money." It has been 34 days and I have only received a lack of enthusiasm from Range USA employees to be assisted with the issue.

I've spoken with Range USA 5 times over the past 34 days and have been misinformed three times (where employee's told me it would only take one week to receive the payment and others told me three), and I was told that I would be called back about the issue which did not happen and even told I would be contacted by the owner Scott Kilbry which also did not happen.

I've taken a firearm course from Range USA and had a good experience, but after a solid month of terrible service I would not recommend Range USA to anyone in the future.

**UPDATE 8/10/10***

I received an e-mail from the owner of Range USA apologizing, stating the issues will be addressed and letting me know the payment is ready for pickup.

I apologize for the way your questions have been handled. That is not the way I want our customers treated and I assure you that these issues will be addressed. I won’t make any excuses, other than to say we dropped the ball. And again, I am very sorry for that.
Edited by lunarpowered
UPDATE
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold 3 firearms there on consignment and it took over 30 days every time to get a check.I do think you will get your check,but it does take awhile.I shoot there quite often and recently I noticed they have had a bit of turnover in employees.For the most part they are usually pretty friendly and helpful.

I don't blame you at all, I would also want to know why it has taken so long to recieve payment. I would hope you have some kind of a receipt to show that they you left it with them.

I do have a copy of the consignment contract which shows that I left the firearm with them. I've e-mailed the Scott Kilbry and filed a complaint with the BBB, so I will update on the outcome.

Where the Hell do we meet where they're better to us than RUSA? Sounds bad, fo' sho'.

I've said for years that one or three of us need to muscle up some cash and buy some county land we can shoot on and allow friends to do so...

I prefer shooting outdoors anyway.

I worked part time at RUSA for a short while. Unfortunately, I couldn't work enough hours due to my wife changing jobs at the same time I got hired. It's a great group of folks doing their very best to make customers happy. That I can guarantee comes before anything else. When I worked there, we were told to make sure anyone who placed a firearm in consignment know that it would probably take every bit of the 30 days to get a check after the firearm has sold. It doesn't help that the phone rings 30 times a day from people wanting to know where their check is within the 30 days. That is why we tried so hard to make it clear that there would be a delay. If you were told different things by different employees, I'm not sure what to tell you, other than it's unfortunate and not the common way of them dealing with customers.

Another issue that I have no doubt is involved with your delay - Scott just lost his head manager and his assistant. Nothing bad, both just decided to move on within a week of each other (his assistant is moving out of state to be with friends/family again). These two individuals were responsible for about 75% of all of the paperwork that had to be done. Scott is probably swimming in an ocean of paperwork that needs to be completed. I know this explanation probably won't satisfy you, but if I was a betting man, I'd say that is why your check has been so long coming.

I understand your complaint and where you're coming from, but when there are so many sh*tty ranges / gun shops around, I want to make sure I try and take up for the good ones. And Range USA is one of the best. Hopefully, when things smooth back out around there, they'll be able to win your business back sometime in the future.

I've said for years that one or three of us need to muscle up some cash and buy some county land we can shoot on and allow friends to do so...

Same here. I'd love a good spot to shoot my rifles!

Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club may be an option if you like shooting outdoors. The old range is about 25 miles south of Memphis and is open March thru October. The new range in Como(about 50 miles from Memphis) is open year around.

I placed a firearm into consignment at Range USA which sold on 7/6/10 due to an ad I placed on TNGunOwners.com

I have a contract which states that "Once the firearm has sold the seller may experience a delay of up to 30 days to receive the money." It has been 34 days and I have only received a lack of enthusiasm from Range USA employees to be assisted with the issue.

I've spoken with Range USA 5 times over the past 34 days and have been misinformed three times (where employee's told me it would only take one week to receive the payment and others told me three), and I was told that I would be called back about the issue which did not happen and even told I would be contacted by the owner Scott Kilbry which also did not happen.

I've taken a firearm course from Range USA and had a good experience, but after a solid month of terrible service I would not recommend Range USA to anyone in the future.

I've bought several guns from RangeUSA, had others transfered thru them, all without difficulty. Most of the time the employees try to do a good job, but it does vary with different employees. I'm sure the owner expects better service from his employees than you've experienced.

Guest 731david

I just purchased my H&K from RUSA and also had a firearm on consignment. I never will understand why you had to wait the 30days to receive your money and why RUSA collected sales taxes on something that really did'nt belong to them. I was also kinda pissed at the fact they charged me sales tax when I came back to get it out of consignment??? WTF...The sales guys were cool but I can say RUSA will be the very last stop I make in the future..I'm sure glad we have a range here in Jackson and they don't charge you a fee for layaways either..Just got in a hurry for something my guys could have ordered for me..Great Outdoor Store all the way for me from now on...

Why would it take 30 days to receive payment?

If it takes 30 days to get payment, sounds like there must be a cash flow problem (i.e. paying last months bills with this months revenues). Otherwise, there should be no problem giving someone his/her money immediately upon recieving payment.

You (and others) have probably done the best thing you could do to get rid of the 30 day policy. I imagine someone from the store will be along to comment.

The 30 day policy might be in case there is something wrong with the gun and they feel they need to return the buyers money.

Having said that I’ve never really understood why someone would consign a gun with a dealer. Nothing against dealers, it’s just that unless you have some crazy pricing on them; they usually sell online. As you said you sold it yourself from here; so they got paid for nothing.

I like shooting at Range USA, but if I was going to sell a firearm I would go to Classic Arms. My father-in-law had a similar experience putting a gun on consignment at RUSA. He only found out it sold when he went to go shooting there and noticed his firearm was no longer in the case. Then it was several phone calls later that he finally got his money. I sold a gun on consignment at CA and it went very smoothly. Jay is a good guy. (I am not affiliated with them in any way)

well, i could understand time for a Check to clear, maybe a small window of time in case there was some problem with the gun but 30 days and longer is 2 much.

As for the cash flow idea, The money from that type of sale should not go in the general operating fund of the business.

The taxes, that might be another issue all together. Sound like taxes on both sides of the sale if i read/understood right, that might warrant some looking into by someone that knows more then I.

Guest nozzle13

I haven't shot at Range USA since they stopped the IDPA. I know I know, they're shooting sunday nights, but that's my family time. I was even a Patriot member which saved me a bunch on transfers, and free shooting. Now though, I wouldn't even think of using them as a transfer-er. They charge 50 bucks the last time I checked. Then they hired a fella, that has very questionable morals, which just doesn't sit well with me.

• 2 weeks later...