1911 mag capacity

Guest Plainsman

Guest Plainsman

Quick question regarding 1911 magazine capacity and how many rounds you load while you carry. I've noticed in my experience that when using my Wilson 47d mags loaded with 8 rounds in my Dan Wesson, the magazine is very difficult to insert fully. I'm assuming this is due to spring compression. The same magazine in my Springfield is easier to insert for some reason. Would this be due to the tighter tolerances of the Dan Wesson? If any of you experience this same problem, do you prefer to only load 7 in the mag, or just manhandle it and make it work with 8 rounds loaded? I'm just thinking that during a reload during a stressfull situation, I may have a problem with fumbling to get the mag fully inserted if its hard to do so. I carry my Wilson mags because I've found all of them to work flawlessly. So far, I have loaded the mag to full capacity while carrying.

In trying other mags, such as my Chip McCormick power mag, it is not as difficult to insert into the DW with 8 rounds loaded. Again, I'm sure this is spring compression but would the difference be in the follower? I prefer not to carry this mag due to having some FTF problems in getting the last round to feed from the magazine. It doesn't happen every time, but once is too much for me.

So, in short, do you load down your 8 round 1911 mag like many do the Glock mags, or just deal with the difficulty of seating the mag?

Edited by Plainsman
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman
I believe during the stressfull situation you describe you will slam that mag in, hit the release and not even blink. You wont even think about how it feels. Just my thought.

I think it will be something that I begin to concentrate on during practice, to ensure that I'm giving enough force to fully seat the mag if I still have one chambered, in those "tactical reloads".

if the slide is back there should be no issue with it being hard to get a mag in the pistol. Unless you are talking about doing 8+1 then the slide would be shut.

You are correct. No issues with the slide locked back. I was referring to having a round chambered, then inserting the full mag. I'm going to continue loading to 8 round capacity and just practice that type of reload often at the range.

Still makes me wonder why its easier to do on my Springfield than it is my DW though...