Oak Ridge City night out with the Council

Oak Ridge had their night out with the Council in the City Park Tuesday night.

The event was setup with a few hours where anyone that wanted to could sit down and voice any concerns directly with the City Council.

I did sit down with several of them in a calm well thought out topic. I briefly let them know that I did not like the ban on hand guns by HCP in city parks. I actually had about a 10 minute talk with the Mayor Tom Beehan. He directly told me it would never change.

I told him how they have it, it has completely blocked access to all the public water access for fishing in Oak Ridge for those that are HCP and that wish to carry.

He pretty much let me know he is the son of a LEO and he is firm on his stance.

He did thank me for being civil and in good taste in bringing my view point up. When he let me know he has no intentions of changing his opinion, I joked and said well maybe if 18,000 people brought up the same concern. He said "no".

From what I can tell, we have 1 supporter on the Oak Ridge City Council for 2nd Amendment, Anne Garcia Garland. If I have missed anyone I am sorry and I would love to be corrected.

Found out, the next day, a person my wife works with, also did the same thing, went out and talked with them about the no guns in the city parks.

So I know other people had been bringing it up to the members of the Council.

Edited by vontar
minor edit
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Vote the bums out... Find somebody running against them that does support the 2nd Amendment and spend a weekend volunteering for their election... In small towns it doesn't take switching many votes to change the face of the council. Most elections like that are decided by less than 300 votes.

Guest 6.8 AR
Vote the bums out... Find somebody running against them that does support the 2nd Amendment and spend a weekend volunteering for their election... In small towns it doesn't take switching many votes to change the face of the council. Most elections like that are decided by less than 300 votes.

The only way to do it.

Guest 270win

That sort of position in a little town is an honorary position....the people where I live who are aldermen I don't think are even paid. The mayors usually aren't paid much if anything either....it's just a little public service job...sometimes it gives those guys a power trip.

Basically this guy thinks he knows what is best and wants to tell you what to do....as in what is hidden in your pocket he thinks is his business....when honestly it is none of his business....so get someone in the town's mayor and aldermen positions that will stay out of your business....find some buddies and family that will pull for someone else...not just on the gun deal but I'm sure this mayor and his aldermen buddies are benefiting off say zoning for their businesses...buddies' businesses....those are the perks....you might want to help some of your friends or kin....get enough to vote for you or a friend ya'll want to put up for vote.....that's the way little towns are....they get elected by their cousins, fellow church members, and friends.

That sort of position in a little town is an honorary position....the people where I live who are aldermen I don't think are even paid. The mayors usually aren't paid much if anything either....it's just a little public service job...sometimes it gives those guys a power trip.......

City Manager of Oak Ridge pays $131,997, so I'm sure Mayor pays more, but I can't find it.

Nor can I find City Council salaries, but they're probably well worth it for a part time job.

- OS

exactly. I am going to get more involved in local.

Mr Beehan is retired from State Farm Insurance and is now a real estate agent. The positon of Mayor is part time and does not pay much. The City Manager position is full time and the City Manager is the highest paid City Employee. Each council member is paid a small amount per meeting. If I recall Mr. Beehan's anti gun stance comes from the fact that his father was shot in the line of duty (please understand I am NOT sure I have the facts correct). In Oak Ridge the Mayor is choosen by his/her fellow council members not by public election. The other pro-gun council member is Ms. Miller. She has said publicly her family does not own guns but that she believes that it is an indiviual choice as opposed to a decsion for City Council.

The City recently went through a review of it's City charter. One of the issues was district representation by council members. This idea was rejected. The problem with it is that, as is being demonstrated by the actions of the present council, it's not possible to get qualified members from a City wide election so finding qualified canidates that live in and would represent specific geographic areas of town would most likely be impossible. Unfortuntaly the chance of finding enough canidates that support 2A positions would also be slim.

The City manager receives his direction from City Council however on 2A issues he would have no direct decision making authority. Any policy/ordance requires two readings and approval by City Council. This particular City Council does not function well togather. There is a lot of in fighting amoung them. This was a factor in former City Manager O'Conner decision to resign and the reason that interim manager Gary Cinder, the most qualified person, choose to remove his name from consideration for the positon. Next Monday Aug. 9th Oak Ridge will have a new City Manager.

Sounds like you need to find somebody with a last name starting in A, B, C, or D that is pro 2nd Amendment and place them on the ballot. BTW, the comment about 'qualified' council members... really think about what they are saying there and see if that sits right with you... What person over 25 years of age isn't qualified?

Thanks for the Heads up on Mrs Miller, I did not get a chance to talk with everyone and I did not talk with her. I will try to in the future, certainly before the next vote which will be over a year away for them