Gulf Shores AL - carry friendly?

Guest kirkosaurus

Guest kirkosaurus

My family and I have reserved a condo on the beach in Gulf Shores for next month.

How carry friendly is Gulf Shores? I know that Alabama recognizes our permits and they allow restaurant carry but not sure of the laws there as far as posting. I only carry concealed.

I looked at handgunlaw.com but navigation on the that site is terrible. They point you directly to the state's websites and don't point directly to specific gun laws, just the state's laws in general.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Handgunlaw.us is a decent tool. You will find most websites focus on state level laws. And in most cases, this is all you need.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf - NOTE: There is a bar for governments less than the State to enact gun laws of any kind. So, all you have to do is abide by the state law and you should be fine.

Please check this with the Alabama law (should be able to find it online) to make sure it is correct. (Here I did it for you:

Section 11-45-1.1 ) How you do it is google "Alabama Code 11-45-1.1" or the State and the Code you want to see. Typically, the first link is the law link.

NOTE: Not giving legal advise, just pointing at where you can find the law.

Have fun and stay cool down there. Make sure you have a room safe in your hotel or condo. Please let us know if there is any oil issues.

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest kirkosaurus

Thanks! I looked around that site but as I said, it's not the easiest to navigate around. I don't know how you got to that PDF but that has great info.

Several years ago I took my family to Gulf Shores. I wasn't carrying at the time, but I did have my permit and wanted to have my gun in the car. At the time, we did not have reciprocity with AL, so before we left TN I called the GSPD and spoke to an officer there. I explained to him what my intentions were and he told me that it wouldn't be a problem. Again, that was several years ago, and they were cool with me having my weapon in the car.

I would say that as long as you carry concealed, you shouldn't have any problems. Just know where you can and can't carry legally.

Guest 270win

You can carry pretty much wherever you want in Alabama. Signs have no 'legal weight' in that state like TN. I have traveled down there some. You can not carry at a picket line/protest....that's about it.....it is kind of gray if someone with an out of state license can carry at an Alabama K-12 school but you CAN carry at a college/university legally. People with AL Concealed Pistol Licenses can carry at K-12 Schools...inside...outside...wherever. I don't know of any law in Alabama that makes it illegal drinking in a restaurant or bar while carrying...I have had a beer with pizza....but it is illegal to be intoxicated while having a handgun.

If TN had the laws like Alabama...we'd have it pretty good...a license down there is actually worth something.

You can carry pretty much wherever you want in Alabama. Signs have no 'legal weight' in that state like TN. I have traveled down there some. You can not carry at a picket line/protest....that's about it.....it is kind of gray if someone with an out of state license can carry at an Alabama K-12 school but you CAN carry at a college/university legally. People with AL Concealed Pistol Licenses can carry at K-12 Schools...inside...outside...wherever. I don't know of any law in Alabama that makes it illegal drinking in a restaurant or bar while carrying...I have had a beer with pizza....but it is illegal to be intoxicated while having a handgun.

If TN had the laws like Alabama...we'd have it pretty good...a license down there is actually worth something.

...and cost MUCH less.

However one bad thing potentially is the issuing sheriff can place restrictions on the permits he issues...and those restrictions are binding anywhere in the state.

:up:

...and cost MUCH less.

:up:

However one bad thing potentially is the issuing sheriff can place restrictions on the permits he issues...and those restrictions are binding anywhere in the state.

:D

We spend a lot of time in Gulf Shores. You'll find the friendliest people in the world down there. Pretty much everybody is laid back. I've never seen anything posted there, and I've always carried with no problems. There's not many places there where you'd really feel like you'd need to be carrying however. I'll be there for the shrimp festival in October. Check out Jimmy Buffett's sister's restuarant while you're there. It's called LuLu's and is on the intercoastal waterway.