Kahr CW9?

killerford

I just bought a kahr cw9 for the wife. I know little about these and was wondering if any of you have any thoughts, experience with this gun? Any problems or ammo that I should stay away from? Any pros or cons? Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks Mike

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a kahr cw9 for the wife. I know little about these and was wondering if any of you have any thoughts, experience with this gun? Any problems or ammo that I should stay away from? Any pros or cons? Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks Mike

Good gun.

Fire 200 rounds of ball for basic break in.

Load first shell from slide lock rather than by racking, at least till well broken in. (I do it all the time still).

Should shoot any mainstream FMJ or hollowpoint fine.

It likes to be kept clean and wettish. Don't drag it behind a truck and bury it in mud or run it totally dry like a Glock or XD :tinfoil:

I have PM9 and have shot the CW, great pistolas.

I carry 124 gr. +p in mine.

- OS

A friend and I rented a bunch of 9mm guns at CCA about a year ago to see which one we liked best since he was in the market. I'm more of a .38/.357 and .45 guy, but do have one 9mm. Anyway, we tried about five or six if I recall correctly. My favorite was the CW9 - it shot very well, no hang-ups or snags with function or ejecting brass, and in the lobby I was allowed to try the gun in a pocket holster and it fit well in my front pocket. So, it was small, light, held a fair amount of rounds, easy and fun to shoot, didn't kick too hard...it was my overall favorite of all the guns. My friend did some more research and ended up getting a PM9 which may be a fancier or smaller model, but I really did think the CW9 was a good gun.

Do you know anything about the owner of this company? Later, B

Edited by Bassoneer

After reading and test firing several 9mm weapons I ordered a CW-9 from Austin's in Oak Ridge and picked it up about a month ago. For me it's a good size, fits my hand well and shoots well. I purchased a Crossbread Quik Clip and can now carry IWB with no printing and it's comfertable. It can also be pocket carried if you have large pockets. The first time I fired the gun I had several issues with feed, fire and ejection failures however after a couple of more range sessions it seems to run fine. I have a Glock 19 that I like better just for shooting but the CW-9 carries better. I think you'll be happy with it.

Guest Lester Weevils

Have run maybe 300 rounds thru a new P9, with nary even one malf from the get-go. Win and Federal 115 gr ball and 124 gr jhp, Remington, Ranier and XTP.

Guest LetZrock

I bought a CW9 about a month ago me and my son rapid fired 500 rounds of fmj through it for a break in. No malfunctions but you do need to get used to the sling shot method for loading the first round. I use it for my EDC in the summer with a comp-tac ctac IWB it is very comfortable for all day carry with no printing. The only thing I dont like about the gun is the long trigger reset.

As with any new semi-auto, I would also run 50 rounds or so of whatever ammo she plans to carry in it (after basic break-in) to make sure it runs well. I'd much rather find out about problems with certain ammo at the range, and not when I really needed it to perform.

Guest drv2fst

I have the P9 and the PM9. They are great guns but need a good break-in period. They are not fun range guns. But they are good carry guns.

Guest Halfpint

Mike, I had a PM9 and P45 for a while . . . both ran fine but I couldn't get used to the trigger. Not bad, really, just used to a 1911 and at the time was stuck in that mindset. Now, I'm starting to miss my PM9, especially for summer carry. I still have a pair of holsters for it, if I had known you picked up a CW I would have offered them to you first. If a customer doesn't get them in a couple days, I'll txt you with info on them if you're interested.

Guest Lester Weevils

I like the P9 and might also get a PM9 in the future. It is slim and light and seems very safe to pocket-holster carry with minimal chance of accidental discharge.

I don't shoot the P9 very accurately, but am pretty sure it is 100 percent my fault and not the pistol's fault. With practice am getting better at it. I never miss a silhouette target at 10 yards, and most hits are near center of mass, but the groupings are way worse than single-action fullsize pistols. It is all in the trigger control I think.

However, can shoot the P9 more accurately than the double-action S&W 649 and NAA 380 that I was carrying beforehand.

And the P9 is not unpleasant to practice with, so it is easy to get in plenty of practice. The P9 recoil seems negligible, certainly no more recoil than full size Beretta 92 or CZ-85. Dunno how they do that in such a light pistol.

I had a CW9. Not anymore. I even ordered the night sights for it and sold it before they came in. I just couldn't get used to that darn trigger pull. I never knew when it was going to fire. Just keep pullin,pullin,pullin, bang. I really like to feel the pressure and click on a trigger. Everything else was great.

let me know i will be in the shop this friday

Mike, I had a PM9 and P45 for a while . . . both ran fine but I couldn't get used to the trigger. Not bad, really, just used to a 1911 and at the time was stuck in that mindset. Now, I'm starting to miss my PM9, especially for summer carry. I still have a pair of holsters for it, if I had known you picked up a CW I would have offered them to you first. If a customer doesn't get them in a couple days, I'll txt you with info on them if you're interested.

i know the trigger will be a challenge we both love my 1911s but this will be her carry gun when she takes the class. I think that the double action trigger will be better for her as her carry weapon.

Thanks for all the info keep it coming

I carry a PM40 daily and love it. It is easier to conceal than a revolver with a higher capacity. No failures in 200 rounds.

I had a CW40 about a year ago. I liked the trigger. In my opinion it is one of the smoothest DA triggers. I just had too many failures out of it. It would not return to battery twice a magazine. I sent it back to kahr twice and had springs replaced. I would stay away from the cw series and pay a little more for a P or PM series.

Guest Danariel

I traded my Glock 19 in on a CW9 a couple of months ago. I'm regretting it now. I've got a Glock 26 on order, will be trading the CW9 in on it.

1st problem, the long and hard trigger pull made me develop a flinch. I have NO confidence that I'll hit what I shoot at at ANY range due to the jerk and anticipation of the bang.

2nd problem (fixed) was the texture on the backstrap is so abrasive, that during a trip to the range where I wanted to run 100 rounds through it, after about 60 I had to have my boyfriend finish shooting it, my hand was so raw. If she likes the trigger ok, get her a Hogue Handall Jr. for it. It's a grip sleeve, fits very tight, but covers that god-awful texture.

Made a further mistake this past Saturday. Went into The Armory in Lebanon, and let the salesman talk me into the S&W Bodyguard 380. Love the pistol and the built in laser, but the trigger pull is even harder (9-10 lbs) since it's a pocket gun, that I HAVE to pull it to the staging point, re-aim, then finish firing. LOVE LOVE LOVE the size, HATE the trigger. Planning on getting this one a trigger job.

Made a further mistake this past Saturday. Went into The Armory in Lebanon, and let the salesman talk me into the S&W Bodyguard 380. Love the pistol and the built in laser, but the trigger pull is even harder (9-10 lbs) since it's a pocket gun, that I HAVE to pull it to the staging point, re-aim, then finish firing. LOVE LOVE LOVE the size, HATE the trigger. Planning on getting this one a trigger job.

Trade it for a Ruger LCR. Problem fixed. The trigger is awesome.

Guest Danariel

Never fired a revolver, I'm partial to auto pistols (Bodyguard 380, not Bodyguard 38). Still, not really wanting the Ruger LCP, either. It's ugly, and doesn't have the spiffy laser! :-P

Guest Danariel

The laser on the Bodyguards isn't an option, or something extra you have to buy...it's integrated into the gun. I think I'd spend much less on a trigger job than on a laser for another gun. I do appreciate the suggestion, however.

I really need to find somewhere I can rent a few different guns to "try before I buy."