Hidden Treasure trove of Guns/Farnsworth firearms

Guest Letereat!

Guest Letereat!

Hey everybody,

I got a tip from a local PAWN shop. Farnsworth Firearms in Vonore,TN. Just google "Farnsworth Firearms" and its at the top. I think im gonna build an altar and make a weekly trek to worship and give burnt offerings!!! IT is like a gun show in one room with better prices NO KIDDING!They have every Varient of the AK, tons of SKS's, of course AR 10 and 15s, Rem. 700s galore, FN-FAL,CEMTE', MAUSER, Enfields, Numerous M1-Carbines....and on and on. TWO old dudes and a shop dog. IT is a drive, but welll worth it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been there and they do have good prices but a very small selection of handguns. The store was so cluttered when I was there that it was hard to walk around. Gear and junk scattered all over the place. With just a little effort they could have a really nice place. The 2 old guys were not exactly friendly either, I was just waiting for them to say "you ain't from around here is you boy"?

This is my absolute favorite LGS. They have always treated me right. Yeah, it can get a little 'cluttered' - and that is part of the charm, for me. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

At the other end of the spectrum is Benton Shooter's Supply, a ways on down 411 from Farnsworth's. Large, neat, well organized store. No clutter, really. I haven't talked with the staff there as much as I have talked with the staff at Farnsworth but the staff at Benton seems fine - and they often have pretty girls running the cash registers. Large handgun selection - and prices $40 to $50 higher on handguns (at least on the ones I have compared) than Farnsworth's. Also, during the start of the ammo shortage, BSS was splitting 100 round value packs of UMC .380 (which Walmart sold for ~$39 for each pack of 100 when they had them) and pricing them at $30 per 50 rounds, nearly double the price.

I can deal with a little clutter.

I will say, though, that Benton often has ammo types I can't find anywhere else - which is just about the only reason I ever go there.

Edited by JAB
Guest Letereat!

Ive been shooting at the skeet range but havent been to the store, ill have to check it out. As for the old dudes and their demeanor....i got a kick out of it,.... its part of the persona in those parts. Hell man 20-25 years ago in those parts all the high school kids still carried big ass Booiee knives on their hips and had their hunting rifle and mabey shotgun on the rack in the back window of the truck. Its old school hard ass country man, the real deal. Fights in school was the norm, nobody ever got stabded or shot either. Fighten was Fighten, guns and knives were tools and for hunting and self defense only.

Bentons is a nice place with a great selection but don't think you aint paying for the atmosphere their prices are not all that great .Most of the staff is not very knowledgeable and the ones that are can be rude and impatient .They do have layaway though. Their sporting clays facility is top notch.They have great staff very courtious and nicely equipped. Im lazy and love having a golf cart to drive around from station to station. Havent been there in a couple of years.I dont really need another place to shoot skeet since I've joined a club.

I may have to take a trip up to Farnsworth one rainy day Vonore is just about an hour drive for me .

I always duck in if within a few miles. You never know what you are going to see there! Also, Robert there is very knowledgable about most guns and is very polite. They have a nice display of older, less common milsurps. Stacks of cases of ammo.

See also: Loudon County Sportsman on Broadway in Lenoir City. Another gem sometimes overlooked!

Edited by TnEngineer
Ive been shooting at the skeet range but havent been to the store, ill have to check it out. As for the old dudes and their demeanor....i got a kick out of it,.... its part of the persona in those parts. Hell man 20-25 years ago in those parts all the high school kids still carried big ass Booiee knives on their hips and had their hunting rifle and mabey shotgun on the rack in the back window of the truck. Its old school hard ass country man, the real deal. Fights in school was the norm, nobody ever got stabded or shot either. Fighten was Fighten, guns and knives were tools and for hunting and self defense only.

A father and son actually run the place (Robert, and Robert, or the Bobs) Bob Jr. is super nice and very friendly (put a sight on for free for me), Bob Sr. is really nice too, just doesn't talk all that much. The other older guy thats always there is a prick and a half, but he really entertains me. I try not to talk to him at all but I always listen to how he talks to other customers both in the shop and on the phone = hilarious. I can't think of his name but he's a mean ole codger. I do all my transfers there as its the closest shop to me and they do it at a reasonable price (25-30 total).

Guest Letereat!

Ill have to check out Louden county sportsman! thanks for the tip, always looking for good deals as most all shops in greater k-town are basically the same......too high. Farnsworth was nill on the bulk ammo also, and not a single round of .308 or .303

Farnsworth is one of my favorites. The old man lightens up , if you ask him a technical question. He is actually a wealth of knowledge, but has little tolerance for the "tire kickers" that come in. The clutter looks like most garages and is just the right testosterone booster to accompany the guns. The indoor range that is attached is great. Once you get to know them, you will appreciate Farnsworth. So, drop by. Hope to run into one of you there. BTW, they have good prices on surplus ammo and seem to always have a good stock of 9X18, 7.62X 25, etc.

Guest Letereat!

Which one is Bob or Robert Sr. And which is the old hard ass? The guy who was at the register had white hair and the other dude was taller and thiner with light brown hair if i remember correctly. He did seemed reluctant at first but lightened up.

Which one is Bob or Robert Sr. And which is the old hard ass? The guy who was at the register had white hair and the other dude was taller and thiner with light brown hair if i remember correctly. He did seemed reluctant at first but lightened up.

the older thin guy is not one of the Bobs and is funny to watch and listen to cause he's so mean to everyone. Bob Sr. tends to sit back and watch everything unfold.

That is pretty much how it is. However, outsiders are rarely accepted unless they have proven their mettle a time or two. I haven't been in Farnsworth's Pawn in 20 years or so. I don't remember foul attitudes or anything. It was just too long ago to remember anything. I grew up in Tellico Plains/Coker Creek, which is very far back in the woods. It was a lot better. A fight solved problems, and when it was over, it was over. Sure, maybe those of us that remember those times and grew up in them are just nostalgic for what it was, but it honestly was better than what I see happening daily here in the city.