CPL Question .....

Another question needing some help ........

I worked in Michigan as a Sheriff Deputy Reserve and Marine Patrol Officer for 5 years. I took a department run CPL class when I started out and I have a department certificate, but did not get a CPL prior to moving to Tennessee as it was not required by my department. Does anyone know if that training certificate will work for a CPL here or will I need to take another class? Looking to get myself and my wife a CPL after we get everything transferred over for residency. I may just take another class with my wife - but was curious ............

Thanks for any help .........

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to TCA if I read it right you would have to be POST certified in TN or have attended the academy in TN to be exempt from the DOS approved handgun permit class. Here is the code if you wish to read through it.

39-17-1351 (e) 1 and 2 deal with exception from the class for law enforcement officers.

Thanks Pain103 ............ I was leaning towards taking the class anyways (with the wife) but also thought about saving a few bucks.

Figured it would be a good thing to go through with the wife as we are new here and don't know many folks yet.

Thanks again for the quick reply ..........

According to TCA if I read it right you would have to be POST certified in TN or have attended the academy in TN to be exempt from the DOS approved handgun permit class. Here is the code if you wish to read through it.

39-17-1351 (e) 1 and 2 deal with exception from the class for law enforcement officers.

Actually I believe it is 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

So don't think you would have to be POST certified (1) as long as you completed the academy training (2).

Also it doesn't specifically say TN, but I take it that way too.

So yep FIRERESCUE02 looks like there is a TN Handgun Safety Class in your future... ;)

well, a benefit would be, extra time with your wife and brushing up on TN laws a bit.

I would have had my wife take it with me but at that time she had never even shot a gun. But she is now learning. Will probably have her in a class next spring.

EDIT

FIRERESCUEO2 , just noticed your in Oak Ridge. Cool. Welcome to the area.

Just as a side note, they are called Handgun Carry Permits (HCP) in TN.

Thanks for the clarification ......... I'll have to remember that one .............. I see many people mistakenly call it a CCW.

Like normal, states just can't seem to unite on things like this to make it easy. States give different terms for licenses or permits to carry a concealed firearm, such as a Concealed Handgun License/Permit (CHL/CHP), Concealed (Defensive/Deadly) Weapon Permit/License (CDWL/CWP/CWL), Concealed Carry Permit/License (CCP/CCL), License To Carry (Firearms) (LTC/LTCF), Carry of Concealed Deadly Weapon license (CCDW), etc.

Guest bkelm18
Thanks for the clarification ......... I'll have to remember that one .............. I see many people mistakenly call it a CCW.

Like normal, states just can't seem to unite on things like this to make it easy. States give different terms for licenses or permits to carry a concealed firearm, such as a Concealed Handgun License/Permit (CHL/CHP), Concealed (Defensive/Deadly) Weapon Permit/License (CDWL/CWP/CWL), Concealed Carry Permit/License (CCP/CCL), License To Carry (Firearms) (LTC/LTCF), Carry of Concealed Deadly Weapon license (CCDW), etc.

True. But calling it anything including the word "concealed" would be a misnomer since in TN you may carry openly or concealed with your permit. :shake: And welcome from another Oak Ridger.

39-17-1351 (e) 1 and 2 deal with exception from the class for law enforcement officers. As I said before that's for law enforcement officers which he I believe he was referring to. Not really a big deal but 3 and 4 deal with armed security training and military training. It won't cost anything to ask about out of state POST certification to waive the permit class but I would put money on a no answer. Go to the class your wife will enjoy doing it with you and maybe you earn some brownie points to cash in later.

Well unlike a Driver's License which allows the holder to do pretty much the same thing from state to state the carry of weapons is much different.

In states where OC is legal without a permit or not allowed at all A "concealed" permit is all that is needed.

In states like TN where any carry is illegal without a permit but either OC or CC is allowed with a permit calling it a "concealed" permit would be misleading and/or wrong

Of course in other states a permit allows the holder to carry other weapons besides just a handgun, so using handgun in the title would be wrong.

39-17-1351 (e) 1 and 2 deal with exception from the class for law enforcement officers. As I said before that's for law enforcement officers which he I believe he was referring to. Not really a big deal but 3 and 4 deal with armed security training and military training. It won't cost anything to ask about out of state POST certification to waive the permit class but I would put money on a no answer. Go to the class your wife will enjoy doing it with you and maybe you earn some brownie points to cash in later.

Well if I read the first post correctly, although he served as a Reserve Deputy, the OP didn't actually have law enforcement firearms training, just basic CPL course offered by a LE agency. The same as taking a HCP course offered at/by a PD or Sheriff's office here.

As far as your first post, I did misread it....thought you had said you had to be post certified and have academy training...didn't see the or, that is why I emphasized it in my post. My bad.

Edited by Fallguy
poor gramar...lol
Guest FroggyOne2

Tennessee Correctional Officers are waived from having to take the class as well. Those that have tenure, may recieve a correctional permit to carry off duty.

Guest tnmom2amk
well, a benefit would be, extra time with your wife and brushing up on TN laws a bit.

I would have had my wife take it with me but at that time she had never even shot a gun. But she is now learning. Will probably have her in a class next spring.

EDIT

QUOTE]

I had never shot a gun either before taking my class. Actually had my fiancee show me how to hold and load his baretta the morning of my class. Did pretty good, if I do say so myself. Only missed 2 shots on the target, and, well, they were below the belt, so in my book they counted, lol!

Tennessee Correctional Officers are waived from having to take the class as well. Those that have tenure, may recieve a correctional permit to carry off duty.

Correctional officers can carry without a HCP if issued a state ID card per 39-17-1350(f). But if they are going to get a HCP I don't see anything in 39-17-1351 that exempts them from taking the safety class.

Guest FroggyOne2
Correctional officers can carry without a HCP if issued a state ID card per 39-17-1350(f). But if they are going to get a HCP I don't see anything in 39-17-1351 that exempts them from taking the safety class.

No.. their training at the acadamy each year suppliments for that.

No.. their training at the acadamy each year suppliments for that.

Well you seem to have first hand knowledge, so I won't argue.

Do they train at the "law enforcement training academy"?

If not, I still don't see anything in 39-17-1351(e) that would exempt them. But as I said, I don't know for sure.