Well this Sucks!

Guest db99wj

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Daelith

My mom's AC went on the fritz the day before yesterday. Thankfully she was able to get someone out there that day to fix it. Need a new condenser.

Hope you get you AC fixed soon so you go back home. And thank you for reminding me...I've been meaning to call and have my regular service guy come do my annual maintenance check up on our unit. Made my appointment.

Guest db99wj

Should be Friday or Saturday. My house was 90 degrees last night and 11pm. We sealed off our 24X20 den with sheets, got 2 window units in the windows, 7 fans, yes, 7, and slept very comfortably last night, there was a wind chill with that much wind!! It was 77 this morning when we woke up. My wife and oldest who stayed with us, we sent the other 3 to grandparents, were cold and covered up! Local news had a story about HVAC guys being so slammed. They are doing priority calls first, like for the elderly. We will be good, just a bit of an inconvenience and a large repair bill, even though we are getting a GREAT deal, and I will be learning how to install a AC unit, because I get to help! (hand me that tool....hand me that....and that...) :)

Guest Drewsett

I grew up in a house built in 1790. Needless to say there was no A/C, or even heat for that matter. In the summer we had box fans in the windows and in the winter a few kerosene heaters to help out the old wood-burning stove. I'm still here.

I think now that I live with A/C I've gone soft...

Guest jackdm3
I haz air-conditioning

9d5267db.jpg

3-ton unit

There was supposed to be some mandatory conversion, as told to me by the techs that did my mom's replacement in '08. They said if we used the old style freon, we wouldn't have to replace the inside unit (A-coil?). But after putting in the outside unit using old-style gas, whenever the inside unit was replaced, it would have to be put in using the new style gas, the outside unit would HAVE to be replaced because it was "contaminated" with the old gas and couldn't be purged to accept the new gas that the inside unit was going to use. This is all based on the 2009 or 2010 EPA change-over. I thought a little of it was B.S.

There was supposed to be some mandatory conversion, as told to me by the techs that did my mom's replacement in '08. They said if we used the old style freon, we wouldn't have to replace the inside unit (A-coil?). But after putting in the outside unit using old-style gas, whenever the inside unit was replaced, it would have to be put in using the new style gas, the outside unit would HAVE to be replaced because it was "contaminated" with the old gas and couldn't be purged to accept the new gas that the inside unit was going to use. This is all based on the 2009 or 2010 EPA change-over. I thought a little of it was B.S.
:poop::poop::poop:-watch where you step!

The pump used to remove air from the system before charging with freon, would remove the old freon as well.

• Administrator
I haz air-conditioning

9d5267db.jpg

3-ton unit

Being in Memphis, and being that this unit likely has a lot of nice copper inside which could be traded for quick cash... I give it a few days before you're needing A/C again and some vagrant is laying in a ditch, drunk off of Night Train.

Guest db99wj

This unit is the old freon style but can handle the new just fine. The supply is getting very low and it wont be long before you have to change over. From what I heard, there is a conversion kit or something that helps in purging the system. My buddy and the parts house guy were in agreement that this new freon crap was well crap from the EPA.... Again.

My wife has never shot a gun nor does she have a violent bone in her body, I would feel sorry for the dude that tried to steal our copper!

Guest strelcevina

great unit .

2 years ago i upgraded my older unit to Goodman 5 ton unit. it runs very efficient

and the house feels like Im in Canada :poop:

Guest bigbovine

The whole bussiness is changing unit builds to use 410 gas that operates at much higher pressures, it is supposed to be more efficient. You can mix and match but the units are built around the pressure the gas will use. If I had a condenser unit made with 410 gas, I would replace the evap unit also, just to be certain. Before when swapping from 12 to 22 or something similar, the pressure diff was not that much. The main thing is watching what oil you use in the unit. Some don't do well with certain gases. And as said before me, When you pump down the system, everything is removed except maybe some burnout, which you can put an additive in to take care of.(This would also necessitate an inline filter at least on one side, but I prefer one high side and one low side to be sure. Why not install a $20 filter inline , you are spending big bucks to replace your compressor.) The gases contaminating each other is a crock. And there is not and never will be a true shortage of Freon, just the availability of it through regulation.

Being in Memphis, and being that this unit likely has a lot of nice copper inside which could be traded for quick cash... I give it a few days before you're needing A/C again and some vagrant is laying in a ditch, drunk off of Night Train.

Et Tu David? Lay off of my city. :poop: I am a Memphis homer. I guess it helps that I have never been a victim.

Guest m&pc9
This unit is the old freon style but can handle the new just fine. The supply is getting very low and it wont be long before you have to change over. From what I heard, there is a conversion kit or something that helps in purging the system. My buddy and the parts house guy were in agreement that this new freon crap was well crap from the EPA.... Again.

My wife has never shot a gun nor does she have a violent bone in her body, I would feel sorry for the dude that tried to steal our copper!

I have to disagree, you can not change a r22 system with a 410a refrigerant. The 410a systems operates at almost twice the pressure. And I do not know of any mfg that allows a swap over.

IMO, I think the new freon 410A is better it will be warmer at lower temperature and cooler at higher temperatures. And most techs that dont like 410A are refusing to learn about the new technology. But it doesnt matter it is here and they will have to learn or go to another trade.

BTW make sure you register your condenser online to get the 10 year parts warranty. Air Conditioners, (A/C), Packaged Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioning (AC) Units for Home Healing and Cooling Systems. Residential and Commercial Heating and Cooling Equipment by Goodman Manufacturing available in 14 SEER and 13 SEER ratings for

Guest db99wj
I have to disagree, you can not change a r22 system with a 410a refrigerant. The 410a systems operates at almost twice the pressure. And I do not know of any mfg that allows a swap over.

IMO, I think the new freon 410A is better it will be warmer at lower temperature and cooler at higher temperatures. And most techs that dont like 410A are refusing to learn about the new technology. But it doesnt matter it is here and they will have to learn or go to another trade.

BTW make sure you register your condenser online to get the 10 year parts warranty. Air Conditioners, (A/C), Packaged Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioning (AC) Units for Home Healing and Cooling Systems. Residential and Commercial Heating and Cooling Equipment by Goodman Manufacturing available in 14 SEER and 13 SEER ratings for

My post didn't come out like I meant, I thought the sales guy was talking about the ability to convert this unit is easy to do or possible. I might have misunderstood. My buddy did mention that the new 410 is here its coming and he is learning more about them.

I saw that on the warranty, I am definitely filling that thing out! My old unit was 10 years old.

Guest db99wj
By the way, for the cheaper line of units, the Goodman units are top notch, simple and easy to maintain.

My buddy said the same thing and while we were installing it, he said this thing looks like it is built very well.

Guest db99wj
Plus Goodman is a TN company located in Dayton ... take care of your own, don't sponsor "made in xxxxxxx" because the labor or whatever is cheaper over there.

Voting with our dollars is the only way we can turn this mess around.

Nice!

Guest m&pc9
Plus Goodman is a TN company located in Dayton ... take care of your own, don't sponsor "made in xxxxxxx" because the labor or whatever is cheaper over there.

Voting with our dollars is the only way we can turn this mess around.

The Amana line for Goodman is made in TN. That Goodman was made in Houston TX. By south of the boarder workers.

I have toured the factory in TX and always joked the box says "Made in USA" but the only Americans were in the front office.

Guest 6.8 AR

I tried to find a 5 ton condenser unit earlier this year,

in R-22 to no avail so far. I've been told is remaining

inventory only and it's all the R-410 now. You can still

get repair parts for R-22 units but that's about it.

Not knowing first hand, but I have heard several

A/C guys say they don't like the new stuff. It must

have to do with the higher pressures.

Guest db99wj
I tried to find a 5 ton condenser unit earlier this year,

in R-22 to no avail so far. I've been told is remaining

inventory only and it's all the R-410 now. You can still

get repair parts for R-22 units but that's about it.

Not knowing first hand, but I have heard several

A/C guys say they don't like the new stuff. It must

have to do with the higher pressures.

The parts house this one came from sold 40 of these last week, he had 40, well 39 left Saturday, he said that might be it for those.