Sig 229 Elite

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 229 elite dark, and am very pleased with it. It replaced my P239 - major increase in capacity without a huge increase in weight.

Pros: beavertail feels great, aluminum grips provide excellent traction when sweating profusely, trigger is fantastic, night sights (adjustable, but haven't felt a need to adjust since it groups up nicely the way the sights came), 2k rounds FMJ / 400 or so JHP no failures of any kind, and it is really good looking.

Cons: it's a Sig - it weighs more than polymer. That said, it's good all day in a Supertuck.

If I may suggest something, you should at least hold and check out the Sig Pro 2022 if they have one available. It is polymer framed (2 oz. lighter) and can be had for $500 or less. But I can easily see why you like the P229 Elite. I don't own a 1911, but I could see myself purchasing something like the Elite before a 1911.

If I may suggest something, you should at least hold and check out the Sig Pro 2022 if they have one available. It is polymer framed (2 oz. lighter) and can be had for $500 or less. But I can easily see why you like the P229 Elite. I don't own a 1911, but I could see myself purchasing something like the Elite before a 1911.

That's some good advice, and the P250 should be included, since I'm of the firm belief that there's no such thing as a "bad" Sig, the same way there's no such thing as a "bad" Glock, XD, or M&P. Pretty much anything in those lines are expected to be 100% reliable and accurate from shot 1.

The reason I ultimately picked the Elite was the beavertail - it felt and pointed naturally, and while a regular 229 can be factory-upgraded with the same night sights, SRT trigger, and grips as an Elite (though at that point you've paid more than you would for an Elite, if both were purchased new), the beavertail felt more comfortable, and encourages a "high and tight" grip better than the stock frame. It's on my list of guns that will NEVER be sold or traded, along with my service XD(m) and MKIII. Even with less barrel, and wearing factory night sites as opposed to TFOs, I'd rather shoot that Sig than my XD(m), and I love both too much to part with.

If you have the cash, you cannot go wrong with any of the Elite-series Sigs (except maybe the platinum, which I find ugly). My 2 cents...

As far as I'm aware, all the Elite-series Sigs come with adjustable sights. Where does the antipathy for adjustable sights on fighting pistols come from? I've always wondered - anyone care to drop some knowledge? I have some guesses, but I'd rather find out what everyone else thinks.

Guest BJEC1248

I have a regular 229R. the cons: heavier than some for EDC; expensive; when I go to the range with my buddies, I never get to shoot it b/c they won't give it up. all the rest is pro.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where I can get a set of the original P229 aluminum grips? I have a set of the rosewoods that came on my P229 Elite, but reeeeeeeeeaaaaallllly want the aluminums and dont like the new(Hogue) version. Thanks!

Hearing all this makes me want one even more. Like said before, they are gorgeous and now that I know that most owners love them...well, just makes it worse.

Seeing as how you were kind enough to let me shoot your Kimber Ultra Carry last Saturday, I'd be a real jackwagon if I didn't reciprocate - shoot me a PM next time you're headed out to CHMR, and it's all yours for a minute or ten.

It should come from the factory lubed up with lithuim grease and a small sample pack. I did a simple break down to check where grease was and fired away. After 200 rounds looked for shiny spots and thats where I know it needs to be lubed.

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation - Topic Powered by Social Strata

SIG SAUER

THX..........great info

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Put 150 rds. through this this AM. P229 Equinox in .40 though it currently has a ETK 9mm barrel in it. Will most likely go back to the .40 soon.

One very sweat pistol.

2v0yas1.jpg

nice motonut!

I'm looking for a 229 myself .... been eyeing a stainless elite on gunbroker, but after everything is said and done, it would still be about $900 for a used SS elite ....

I got this one through Gunbroker, from a shop in (No. or So.?) Carolina. Brand new for about $850.