New company policy...thoughts?

So, my employer is being bought out by another company. We've always had a very strict no weapons anywhere on the property notice in the handbook.

I got a sneak preview of the new company's employee handbook and it says (under prohibited actions):

Possessing firearms or other weapons in or on any (company) property, including company owned vehicles, except as otherwise permitted under state or local law.

My interpretation of this is concealed carry is OK with a HCP as it is considered "permitted under state or local law".

Thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What a loaded question (no pun intended). My guess is the company lawyer reads that as "it's prohibited unless state law expressly permits it." i.e. if state law says you can keep it in your car regardless of company policy, then you can. Otherwise, no-no. If it's that big of a deal, it's time to ask.

Yeah, definitely a loaded question. Not seeking legal advice from the forum, but it certainly seems open to....interpretation. :-)

I thought it was interesting enough to share and spark some discussion.

I would keep silent and obey their policy.:D It seem pretty clear that you can with an HCP. The question remains if that was what they meant. Clarification can only take away any legal recourse down the road.

No problem. You can figure it out while you are looking for another job. If you are not sure ask someone from personnel. Looking for loop holes is a sure way to get nuked.

Considering the economic times and difficulty finding employment, I probably won't be the one to test the the meaning of that policy. I just found the wording of the policy of interest. My life is worth more than my job, but I also know I need my paycheck to provide for my family.

Oh, my reason for the "not seeking legal advice" comment was not due to any of the replies. I just wanted to relieve anyone from having to include an "I'm not a lawyer, but..." in replies. My apologies if it came across any other way.

Ask….. you have nothing to lose. You are in an employment at will state; there is no legal recourse down the road. Now is the time to get some things changed.

Sent from my DELL using a keyboard

Unless they are idiots and show cause.:D It's happened before.

BTW - i liked the "sent from" tag! :D

The policy to me reads that you can carry.

Carry or leave it in your car, whatever. Just keep your freaking mouth shut about what you decide to do.

This is the way I see it. Just conceal and be quiet.

Sent from some computer, I dunno what kind it is.

If anyone can top this I want to see it.

TN does not have a parking lot bill like some other states. I hope we get one soon.

No trees were harmed in the making of this message, but a few electrons were slightly disturbed.

i really don't know what kind it is, it is home made and I had nothing to do with it.

Sent from some computer, I dunno what kind it is.

You can get away with going concealed and violating the policy for a while. You only need to get caught once. Do like I did. Buy a sturdy safe, mount it somewhere in your car and park on the street. The car is still in view of company cameras and a thief would have to take some time and put in a little work to get my cheap pistol. Keep your job! I don't know what your occupation is, but I bet it beats making fries with kids at the local burger joint.