Thinking Of Switching To A Revolver For EDC

Guest Straight Shooter

Mike-

I get the jist of what your saying, I really do. Ive had experiances with revolvers too. But, MANY more with semi's. The WORST jam Ive ever seen was on my S&W 4506 .45. It was DAYS before I finally managed to destroy the LIVE round enough to get it out and unlock the gun. I bought a S&W 686 .357 when I got out of boot camp in '83. Wouldnt fire one cylinder w/o locking up HARD. Took it back, got another...SAME THING. Now, my gunshop is getting leery. I get another, they say "this is the last time". Thank GOD that one worked. Years later I see a recall on the early guns due to undersized cylinders. I could go on and on. ANY mechanical thing breaks eventually. But, looong before one uses a weapon in a combat/defense role, it should be thouroughly rung out, and practiced with. I know you agree.

Training and practice are key here. Ill put it like this. Just as, on average Id say, most shooters shoot better with semi's than wheelguns, Ill give you that. But if they would train/practice with a revolver, then they would also do better with it. Im better with a knife, than some are with guns. But, Im better with guns because I practice/train more with them.

The D/A stroke does in fact, throw off a lot of folk. But, for those of us who have put effort into it, we have learned to master it, and I much prefer it myself.

A couple more things Id like to say, then Ill hush. A lot of young folk, and/or new shooters, are being influenced by these idiotic video games, movies, internet commando's, rumors[glocks explode all the time for example] and just plain old B.S., that unless youve got the latest TAAAACTICAL BULL**** on the latest TAAAACTICAL weapon, hey its taaaactical because it says its taaaaactical, then you dont have a 'real" gun, or its not "badass" enough, or you wont be able to kill zombies or go to war with it.

To you new folks/young folks I say this. Get with some old gun guys. I mean real, honest to GOD gun men who have been shooting for decades longer than youve been alive. Who REALLY know their stuff, not some "two box a year at deer season" a##. Listen. Learn. Try some of their stuff yourself. Be open to the fact that the newest, latest, aint always the best. I have never seen like the amount of pure CRAP being touted as "needed" to shoot, or for defense in my life. Ive got well over 35 years of being insatiably in love with firearms, and to this day Ive got several old dudes I go to for advice/knowledge and assistance. One of em I call my guru. Learn the credo One Shot, One Hit.

Col. Jeff Cooper used to ask..."What is the purpose of shooting" ? Its a one word answer. Think on it, and if you dont know, ill tell you in a later post.

If one practices enough, even with a slingshot, one can become deadly with anything. Just some thoughts from an school shooter, who still uses and prefers iron sights, know how to use them, and doesnt fall for buying everything labeled "Tactical". DAMN I HATE THAT WORD.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and once when i had the moon clip clipped around the base of the cartridge slightly above the groove.

Mike

Mike, just for reference what model revolver and caliber were you shooting? I can definately see that using one that requires moon clips increases the chance of failures.

I know Jerry Miculek runs a moon clip revolver like nobody's business but he's super human. :bs:

You, and everyone else, should carry the gun that you are most proficient with that you will carry everywhere everyday. The gun on you beats the gun back home every day. If you are trained up and good to go with a revolver more so than a semiauto, then carry the revolver.

Me, I carry a Glock 17, 19 or 26 every day and if I go with a second gun, it is a 442.

Mike, just for reference what model revolver and caliber were you shooting? I can definately see that using one that requires moon clips increases the chance of failures.

I know Jerry Miculek runs a moon clip revolver like nobody's business but he's super human. :bs:

It was a 586 L-Frame. I will say with the exception of my loading a clip wrong. The moon clips are phenomenal. I was loading them on the line while listening to Tom talk so my attention wasn't 100% on loading the clips. They sped up my reloads well beyond everyone else. There really is nothing that compares to them. They completely eliminate getting a case stuck behind the extractor or in-between the cylinder and grips, as they bring all six rounds in and out as a unit.

I would recommend them to anyone who carries a revolver and speed loaders. They take up less space than the loaders and don't require fiddling with knobs or buttons. Slowstrips will still carry better but have loading times that are ridiculous and usually end up with dropped rounds and a lot of fumbling.

I agree with your last post, SS.

You, and everyone else, should carry the gun that you are most proficient with that you will carry everywhere everyday. The gun on you beats the gun back home every day. If you are trained up and good to go with a revolver more so than a semiauto, then carry the revolver.

Truth

If you guys look at the big time revolver guys who actually fought with them a lot. Prohibition and depression era 1920-1940. They carried revolvers. RevolverS. They didn't bother to reload. It took too much time when they were getting shot at. They fought through their weapons. Shoot till empty and toss the gun then draw another.

What to you call a guy carrying a j-frame and a speedstrip? An optimist.

Edited by Mike
Guest Jamie

What to you call a guy carrying a j-frame and a speedstrip?

Dangerous.

Because, most likely, that person knows how to use the gun and is confident in his abilities to get the job done.

BTW, I've been know to carry a J frame and NO reload.

And for some odd reason, I'm not dead yet... :D

J.

Guest Jamie
Lighten up, man.

Two words for ya, and they're not "Merry Christmas". :D

It's a joke.

I'm aware of that, but given the OP's question, I don't want him ( or anybody else ) to take the joke to heart.

J.

Pretty much sums up what I think as well.

Only thing I can think to add is personal experience is the best motivator and educator for evaluating what you think you should carry and why. People can give opinions based off their own personal experiences. That, (I think) is why people tend to be passionate about their opinions.

In the 70s I knew people who could reload a wheel gun as fast or faster than most could reload a semi. At the range we had Bowling pin competitions and others that required multiple reloads with both types of guns and the end result was usually a tie between revolvers and semis. Being older I now prefer the semi-auto but carry a Judge for the 410 shell while walking in the woods.

I will add that I carry a sling bag while walking so have a semi as back up to the Judge.

Well fellas,I can see I opened a whole can of the proverbial worms.believe me I have been pondering a decision for awhile now on the semi-auto versus the revolver.But in reality I grew up shooting revolvers and have owned many of them,and I have to say I only had 1 that was a real POS,spit lead everywhere except down the barrel.I awakened to the carry scene only in the last couple of years,and probably wouldnt even fret about it if I still lived in a peacefull and none violent area.But that aint so.all the various opinions are for the most part based in reality which is the scary part,if some of our citizens were fine and upstanding none of us would even be having this type of talk.For the last 20 odd years I lived in an area where all a person had to worry about as far as violence goes is whether or not you would be accosted by a dog or coyote,and the answer to that problem was straight forward,but the predators on our streets deem we need protection from them,therefore a firearm of some type or be really well trained in knife wielding.For myself I think I have reached a decision.and that is I would rather have a weapon that I and my wife are able to use,and possibly a son or daughter also.So to make a long story short I guess I will be toting a revolver from now on.

PS:On a side note I will be looking into a Ruger SP101 or possibly a S&W Model 60 in .357mag-seems they would be a little better suited to a defensive standpoint than .38 special.Also most of them are running around 25 ounces empty which makes either one fairly light.My wife knows how to use a .38 snubbie so we have that covered.

Edited by krunchnik
Guest Straight Shooter

Krunchnik-

When you try out the Sp101, look at the 3" one. Its a breeze to EDC, and really shoots good. Love mine.

Guest Straight Shooter

I also would like to recommend Safariland Comp1 Speedloaders, they are great! I use 3 of them, and or two speedstrips.

Well I went and officially turned myself over to the Ruger temptation,picked up a new SP101 with the Crimson Trace grips,they dont make the 3 inch barrel with the grips already on it,so I settled for the 2.25 inch barrel,fits my holsters nicer anyways.But here she is in all of the stainless glory.Also in .357 Mag,I didnt realize they make this one in .327 Federal also,not to mention 9mm.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Mike,

You were speaking your mind and sharing your opinion. You didn't get ugly and start name calling. You're all right with me. There ain't no right or wrong when it comes to our freedom to choose our weapons. I carry revolvers about as much as I carry semi-autos. Guns are my back up weapon when my brain has failed me. As long as I can get my front sight on target, I don't care what kind of pistol it is.

Great looking Ruger, there.

As far as revolver vs. semiauto I have to ask - do I really have to choose?

Unlike some of you folks, I can't carry every day, all day. Because of where I work, carrying at work would be a violation of state law. In fact, the way I read the law, even having a firearm in my vehicle would be a violation of state law. That said, when I am not at work, I carry whenever and wherever it is legal.

My earliest handgun experience was with revolvers. I like semiautos but have trouble completely trusting them. Last year, for my own peace of mind, I decided that I would have a revolver on me at all times when I can carry. I might have a revolver (usually a snubnosed .357, probably loaded with .38s) as my one and only. I might have a revolver for primary with my P3AT (with a spare mag) as my BUG or I might have a semiauto as primary and just my little NAA .22 WMR as a BUG. Semiautos do have some advantages for carry and I recognize that those advantages exist. That said, I don't care what anyone else - expert or not - says. In my experience, limited as it may be, revolvers in general are more reliable, easier to use and less ammo picky with regard to functionality than semiautos and that is the experience upon which I will base my decisions. A revolver jam may be worse than a semiauto jam but I believe a revolver jam is much, much less likely.

Edited by JAB
If you've got more than 2 or 3 people to deal with, odds are very much not in your favor when it comes to getting all of them before one of them gets you, no matter how many rounds you have in your gun. Especially if they're all armed. And a 5 or 6 shot revolver will deal with those 2 or 3 about as well as anything else will, if you shoot straight.

J.

I do sometimes find the larger capacity of some semiautos to be comforting. That said, I've also come to the conclusion that if I end up facing several determined, armed attackers where no possibility of retreat or cover is available - in a 'stand up gun battle' type situation - my only real hope is that the attackers change their minds and retreat once I present an armed defense. To my mind, a revolver would do as well as a semiauto in bringing about such a response. If the attackers do not break off the attack and I cannot get away, the only difference the increased capacity will make is how many rounds are still in my gun when I die.

That said, 95% of the time that I can legally carry I will have a reload, a BUG or both.

Edited by JAB
Guest Jamie
That said, 95% of the time that I can legally carry I will have a reload, a BUG or both.

There's nothing wrong with carrying a hi-cap gun or plenty of reloads, it's just that I can't come up with a logical, rational scenario where I think it'll really be of any great use. Well, other than maybe as a false sense of security, at worst. :D

Once the shooting starts though, I'm sure that'll clear right up. ;):D

J.