Looking to understand Reciprocity better

For this, consider. I will mainly only be traveling to KY in the short term. I will worry about other states as they come up.

I am looking at Handgunlaw.us and going to KY

I am not a legal eagle for reading legal terms.

I know KY and all the nice blue state honor TN HCP :).

Looks like there off limit places are very similar to ours.

My parents live in TN right on the border of TN, and my In-Laws are a couple hours in KY. I plan to carry driving to either place when we visit.

If I read this Next Part right, I think I wish TN would get it.

Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for

denying right -- Exceptions.

(1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of

real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from

possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on

the property.

If I understand that, if we had it, our employer could not prevent us from having a gun in our parked cars at work, which would be great for those of us that have long drives and should be able to carry to and from.

I know I should read their

Deadly Force Laws

In short, I should not see much different going into KY, I read what it said about Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol.

Found something I like,

Permit/License Info Public Information: NO, Wish we could get that fixed here in TN.

I did not see anything about gun buster signs? I guess if someone has one it carries no legal weight but I probably just would not want to give them money anyway right?

This is probably my big one.

Trying to find out if the CCDW in KY means you have to CC of if you have a choice of CC or OC like we do in TN?

Most of the time I would be a CC, but when I go 4 wheeling I might prefer to be OC near my parents place which crosses back and forth on the TN/KY line and I sometimes run into either TN or KY Wild Life agents and I want to be certain OC is ok on the KY side of the line.

Edited by vontar
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget reciprocity. It is a technical agreement between states that really only affects the terms under which you may give up a permit from one state and receive one from another.

For practical purposes, a state either recognizes your permit or it doesn't.

If it does, you can carry in that state according to the carry and carry permit laws OF THAT state, not the laws of TN.

If a state allows open carry without a permit, like KY, Virginia, and quite a few others, then you can open carry in that state whether you have a permit from any state or not.

There are about 35 other states that recognize the TN HCP, and you can carry concealed with it.

Some states are like TN in that they allow you to carry concealed or openly with permit only.

Some states have open carry with no permit required, and you may do so whether you have a permit or not.

Three states even allow you to carry concealed without a permit.

As for open carry: http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

For general permit recogniton: http://handgunlaw.us

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Trying to find out if the CCDW in KY means you have to CC of if you have a choice of CC or OC like we do in TN?

The answer to that specific question is that you can carry there concealed with a TN permit.

You can carry there openly with a TN permit.

You can carry there openly with NO permit.

Same for KY residents. They do not need a permit to carry openly.

- OS

Thanks, I was using the wrong resource but at least I was trying. Checking that one out now.

That is great on the CC and OC in KY being the same as TN. I don't have to try to remember to much different stuff at least.

Starting to get excited, it is about time to start charging to the mailbox looking for it daily now, i know it is a bit soon but everytime there is mail, you know a bit of hope.

Reading about KY being pretty relax on their gun laws compared to TN. Open carry with no permit at 18.

Would that apply to a non resident of KY. Just wondering. It won't matter to me in a week or 2.

But lets say right before I get my permit. I have to go to KY. I pack up here in TN. I know I can not legally carry here. I cross the line in KY. Could i then open my gun case, get out my gun load it up and put is on my belt and continue on my trip in KY legally?

I know my father-in-law would ask me about that and coming to TN being a KY resident but I know he would have to follow TN law would no permit, no carry. That is simple to me.

Edited by vontar
Thanks, I was using the wrong resource but at least I was trying. Checking that one out now.

That is great on the CC and OC in KY being the same as TN. I don't have to try to remember to much different stuff at least.

Starting to get excited, it is about time to start charging to the mailbox looking for it daily now, i know it is a bit soon but everytime there is mail, you know a bit of hope.

In case you didn't fully understand, YOU can openly carry up there tonight. :up:

- OS

In case you didn't fully understand, YOU can openly carry up there tonight. :up:

- OS

I just reread it and was about to edit but you beat me. It was a long week, long day. That is good to know. I am still a newb but using that site will help me now.

Thanks.

Guest Pig957

"If I understand that, if we had it, our employer could not prevent us from having a gun in our parked cars at work, which would be great for those of us that have long drives and should be able to carry to and from."

Indiana passed a parking lot law this year. It went into effect July 1.

I just notice I ask about reciprocity when I was actually looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf but I did get what I was needing I just ask it badly. :D New question coming in a new thread.

This one can close.

Well

I was going to ask a question related to

Body Armor Laws: 39-17-1323

but I googled the law numbers and found it

(d) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession of a body vest for lawful purposes.

I guess if I wanted to buy a vest to wear around the range I could, legally.

I know they are pricy.

Edited by vontar